Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Buying a car in Abu Dhabi

Buying a car in Abu Dhabi

Old Nov 24th 2012, 6:09 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a car in Abu Dhabi

So I have been in Abu Dhabi for almost a year now and really feel like sorting a car out. Has anyone got any tips on the best way forward. I do not want the commitment of getting a loan or lease agreement but am looking for a fairly cheap car to get around in. I am leaning towards either a Z3, Audi TT or a Nissan 350Z, all around the AED 40k - 50k mark.

Anyone want to offer advice or have any experience of buying older car like these (4/5/6 years old)? Any suggestions as to what cars are better for this price range? Would I be buying a heap of trouble? Is it better buying from Dubizzle or should I be going to MotorCity?

Any advice welcome.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 6:21 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a car in Abu Dhabi

z3 and audi TT are girl's cars. so firstly ask yourself, am i a girl? If the answer is no then forget those two.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 6:33 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
z3 and audi TT are girl's cars. so firstly ask yourself, am i a girl? If the answer is no then forget those two.
Well that is worrying as I also liked the look of the Rav4 until I was told it was almost exclusively a ladies car :/ . I probably need a long hard look in the mirror.

The 3.2 TT is not really a ladies car though is it? I cant be doing with a big 4x4, just want something reliable that I wouldn't normally drive back in the UK so the 3.2 TT or the 3.5 Nissan seem to do the trick. The Z3 was just thrown in there as it is German but I cant see myself in one to be honest. Last time I was in one the driver weighed about 22 stone. Was a squeeze.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 6:40 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Well that is worrying as I also liked the look of the Rav4 until I was told it was almost exclusively a ladies car :/ . I probably need a long hard look in the mirror.

The 3.2 TT is not really a ladies car though is it? I cant be doing with a big 4x4, just want something reliable that I wouldn't normally drive back in the UK so the 3.2 TT or the 3.5 Nissan seem to do the trick. The Z3 was just thrown in there as it is German but I cant see myself in one to be honest. Last time I was in one the driver weighed about 22 stone. Was a squeeze.
wasn't going to suggest a 4X4 but something from the audi S stable might work or bmw m3 or m5. Or my own personal favourites, any turboed mitsubishi or subaru.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 5:52 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

wasn't going to suggest a 4X4 but something from the audi S stable might work or bmw m3 or m5. Or my own personal favourites, any turboed mitsubishi or subaru.
For 40-50k?

I may well be doing the same soon. Was thinking of a lower budget, and maybe a 10-year old SLK320. Lady jokes aside, reliable?

Re the OP's question, Jap or German must be the way to go, and I'd have thought most "sports" cars would be pretty un-thrashed here. And more choice in Dubai, Shirley.

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Nov 25th 2012 at 5:57 am.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:57 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
For 40-50k?

I may well be doing the same soon. Was thinking of a lower budget, and maybe a 10-year old SLK320. Lady jokes aside, reliable?

Re the OP's question, Jap or German must be the way to go, and I'd have thought most "sports" cars would be pretty un-thrashed here. And more choice in Dubai, Shirley.
Couple of m3s on dubizzle around the 50-60k mark, though are around 7-9 years old.

if this one is real its a lot of car for the money. http://tnydu.biz/DOkdnv
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Jap or German must be the way to go
Totally agree... maybe with a bias to Jap.

That said, given how many Mustangs are around they probably are an OK option - simple, easy to fix and scrap yards full of parts.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:50 pm
...---...

Couple of m3s on dubizzle around the 50-60k mark, though are around 7-9 years old.

if this one is real its a lot of car for the money. http://tnydu.biz/DOkdnv
Blimey that is a lot of car for the money.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 1:40 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

That said, given how many Mustangs are around they probably are an OK option - simple, easy to fix and scrap yards full of parts.
Yeah, that's my other leaning. Anyone know about reliability?

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Blimey that is a lot of car for the money.
Sure is. I've always had a soft spot for Scoobydoo's: no nonsense, honest grunt.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

i had a lovely mustang part exchanged it back at the beginning of the year, 2006 model gt never had any issues with it.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

You've answered your own question - the Nissan 350Z!!

in metallic orange