Bur Dubai

Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

k.knight81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bur Dubai

Hi, I am due to start work in an office off Umm Hurair Road in a month and a half and am trying to find what areas are very cheap for a studio flat around there. Within walking distance. (About 1/2 hour walk).

Thankyou
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bur Dubai

Areas near Umm Hurair Rd are Oud Metha, Karama and Bur Dubai. Plenty of low cost studios/ 1 bedrooms in this area (AED 60k plus per year, but will be a bit scruffy at the lower prices).

Not too many western expats in these areas, but I like it - you can walk to places for shopping, eating etc, although a half hour walk at this time of year will probably need a shower and change of clothes.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:55 am
Just Joined

k.knight81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. A simple and to the point answer. All the threads I have been reading are full of people generally not answering the question asked so thanks again. Will look into these.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:59 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

"Walking distance" in Dubai means about five minutes max. Half an hour? Forget it.

Quite apart from the heat and humidity, which makes walking any distance completely impractical for about four or five months each year (unless, as Bonny Boy says, you have a shower and a full change of clothes waiting at the other end), Dubai just isn't designed for walking long distances. You could easily find yourself having to walk miles (almost literally) out of your way to find a safe crossing point over a main road, for example.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Eeyore
"Walking distance" in Dubai means about five minutes max. Half an hour? Forget it.

Quite apart from the heat and humidity, which makes walking any distance completely impractical for about four or five months each year (unless, as Bonny Boy says, you have a shower and a full change of clothes waiting at the other end), Dubai just isn't designed for walking long distances. You could easily find yourself having to walk miles (almost literally) out of your way to find a safe crossing point over a main road, for example.
Well to be fair, unlike 'new' Dubai - say those areas to the west of Satwa - the Karama and Bur Dubai areas are much more pedestrian friendly. These places are, and feel, like a real town centre, and why I chose to live in this particular neighbourhood.

I walk to the shops, restaurants, laundry etc. after work, even at this time of year, but then shower and change upon my return.

Last edited by Bonny Boy; Aug 20th 2008 at 10:33 am. Reason: Sp
Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:46 am