Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Brokeback Mountain

View Poll Results: Gay cowboy movies in the UAE?
Hell yes, yeehah, freedom of speech and so on
56.25%
No...the authorities are right and after all, its their country so stop moaning
18.75%
I really don't care because going to the cinema here is appalling
12.50%
I'm a gay cowboy and am offended this film was made
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Brokeback Mountain

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:08 am
W10

Default Brokeback Mountain

Where do you stand on the debate that's...erm...raging.

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 5:15 am
W10

Default Re: Brokeback Mountain

It does at least make 7days reading for a change...

but they need to up their game - Emirates Today still leads the way with their story about a national trying to sell his kidney to clear his drug related debts.

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:21 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

100% - it should be released in the UAE, if required, with an 18 certificate.

But, I doubt it will be.

A PG rated comedy - Touch Of Pink. Banned. Homosexual content.
Mindight Cowboy - banned. Reason. Homosexual content.

Question is with censorship, as always, where do you draw the line? Was Ellen shown here? What about sitcoms with an openly gay charactor - Will & Grace for example?

What if the actor is gay but not the charactor they play - should their work be banned?

Authors, artists?

etc etc etc...
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:54 am
W10

But why should it 100% be shown?

If thems is the laws, thems is the laws. We aren't citizens here and have to abide by their rules (which are already liberalised to make it more attractive for us)

Doesn't matter if it's right (morally interpretation-wise) or not, matters if thats the way it is.

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by W10

If thems is the laws, thems is the laws. We aren't citizens here and have to abide by their rules (which are already liberalised to make it more attractive for us)

Doesn't matter if it's right (morally interpretation-wise) or not, matters if thats the way it is.
I thought you were more rebellious than that....
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:36 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

If that is the way you think, then there wasn't much point in the question or the poll.

My point is that the film should be allowed to be shown - this is only my point of view. I am fully aware of the film censorship laws out here. I am also very aware of the various interpretation of all laws and specifically with regard to film censorship.

Closer banned at the cinema, but available on DVD - same content, same film, same moral or legal values - yet available in one form and not another. Why is that? fyi - there were no cuts in the Closer DVD release so this is not the reason it was cleared.

I disagree with the statement "Doesn't matter if it's right (morally interpretation-wise) or not, matters if thats the way it is" - to my mind this is the essential companent of whether it matters or not.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:24 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Where do you stand on the debate that's...erm...raging.
What I think:
I think anything that a consensual mentally healthy adult does with another consentual mentally healthy adult or alone is fine provided no harm comes to anything that did not consent. Therefore this film, made by highly paid actors pretending to be gay and the adults that will watch it is fine with me, regardless if I find it tasteful or not.

What I say:
When in Rome do as the Romans. If the authorities here feel the need to ban films, books and censor the internet it is up to them. Only citizens have a right to complain.

If seeing love stories between men is so important to you you can download it online anyway...or walk around Bur Dubai and look at all the men holding hands...
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:59 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

I for one look forward to seeing the film.... But I intend to wiat for its release on Dvd on April 7th.
I think ( Not often ) this movie should be shown and ppl then given the choice of wheather they wish to see it or not! Im sure they can make up their minds?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:16 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

If its Shown in the Cinema, than that means its Ok! BUT wait its not Ok.

God created Adam and Eve Not Adam and steve! (but if you want to believe that than believe it but in your bedroom! rent the dvd out)
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CasaNova
If its Shown in the Cinema, than that means its Ok! BUT wait its not Ok.

God created Adam and Eve Not Adam and steve! (but if you want to believe that than believe it but in your bedroom! rent the dvd out)
Hers a new point of debate for you:
As you said,GOD created Adam and Eve,and they had only two sons,so where did the rest come from???

Being a GOD fearing person,I shouldnt ask this question,often.......
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:01 pm
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shoushou
Hers a new point of debate for you:
As you said,GOD created Adam and Eve,and they had only two sons,so where did the rest come from???

Being a GOD fearing person,I shouldnt ask this question,often.......

Two sons and One Daughter.

It has been scientifically Proven that the Origin of "Mankind" is one. Through Genetic research.

The genes of test subjects from Nordic Europe Matched the genes of the tests subject from central african countries.

Verses of Holy Qu'ran:

"O people! be careful of (your duty to) your Lord, Who created you from a single being and created its mate of the same (kind) and spread from these two, many men and women; and be careful of (your duty to) Allah, by Whom you demand one of another (your rights), and (to) the ties of relationship; surely Allah ever watches over you. " 004.001

"O you men! surely We have created you of a male and a female, and made you tribes and families that you may know each other; surely the most honorable of you with Allah is the one among you most careful (of his duty); surely Allah is Knowing, Aware." 049.013
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CasaNova
Two sons and One Daughter.

It has been scientifically Proven that the Origin of "Mankind" is one. Through Genetic research.

The genes of test subjects from Nordic Europe Matched the genes of the tests subject from central african countries.

Verses of Holy Qu'ran:

"O people! be careful of (your duty to) your Lord, Who created you from a single being and created its mate of the same (kind) and spread from these two, many men and women; and be careful of (your duty to) Allah, by Whom you demand one of another (your rights), and (to) the ties of relationship; surely Allah ever watches over you. " 004.001

"O you men! surely We have created you of a male and a female, and made you tribes and families that you may know each other; surely the most honorable of you with Allah is the one among you most careful (of his duty); surely Allah is Knowing, Aware." 049.013
So what is the name of the daughter,and why was she never mentionned??
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:27 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Just done a google search and it says Adam lived to the age of 930 and had 63 children, cain, abel & seth then another 30 sons and 30 daughters Never heard that story before
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:30 pm
Banned

Adam and Eve
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Just done a google search and it says Adam lived to the age of 930 and had 63 children, cain, abel & seth then another 30 sons and 30 daughters Never heard that story before
So the truth is in google and not the Bible??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.