Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Brokeback Mountain

View Poll Results: Gay cowboy movies in the UAE?
Hell yes, yeehah, freedom of speech and so on
56.25%
No...the authorities are right and after all, its their country so stop moaning
18.75%
I really don't care because going to the cinema here is appalling
12.50%
I'm a gay cowboy and am offended this film was made
12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Brokeback Mountain

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:27 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brokeback Mountain

Originally Posted by MJC
Thought you shopped at P and S????
I don't shop...it doesn't agee w the digestion
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CasaNova
lol and the apes came from the bacteria!

BUT WAIT!!!

Where did the bacterias came from?
The hospitals...
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

So who,apart from me,is a gay cowboy and got offended from this film...???
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 1:40 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shoushou
So who,apart from me,is a gay cowboy and got offended from this film...???
I'm also a lying expat, so it couldn't be me
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 2:28 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm concerned, I'd prefer that it *was* shown, but I accept completely that my personal preference - like that of every other non-national - is neither here nor there. What right do us expats have to demand that Western morality be forced upon a Muslim country?

Just imagine the stink if expat Muslims in Britain lobbied to force Islamic moral values onto the UK. The majority of the native population would almost certainly be asking "Who the hell do they think they are?"

It's not even as if those of us who want to see the movie are totally prevented from doing so - it'll be circulating on DVD before long. This whole furore puts me in mind of the expats who complained about everything being shut during Ramadan; I was genuinely amazed that anyone who could choose to come and live in the Middle East could be so spectacularly inconsiderate of local cultural sensitivities.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
I'm also a lying expat, so it couldn't be me
You never cease to amaze me....
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 3:28 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
As far as I'm concerned, I'd prefer that it *was* shown, but I accept completely that my personal preference - like that of every other non-national - is neither here nor there. What right do us expats have to demand that Western morality be forced upon a Muslim country?

Just imagine the stink if expat Muslims in Britain lobbied to force Islamic moral values onto the UK. The majority of the native population would almost certainly be asking "Who the hell do they think they are?"

It's not even as if those of us who want to see the movie are totally prevented from doing so - it'll be circulating on DVD before long. This whole furore puts me in mind of the expats who complained about everything being shut during Ramadan; I was genuinely amazed that anyone who could choose to come and live in the Middle East could be so spectacularly inconsiderate of local cultural sensitivities.

The most intelligent expats here that i have ever came across are the Germans! why? i dont know.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 3:35 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Get off the fence G, the splinters are hurting your arse!!

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 6:08 am
W10

Bingo...the same people who will go back to the UK and complain about all the asylum seekers and how the country is going to hell because of all the Muslims and there damn oppressive ways.

One mans liberalism is another mans conservatism.

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:43 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

I could never sit comfortably watching that film........
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 4:13 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasaNova
Two sons and One Daughter.

It has been scientifically Proven that the Origin of "Mankind" is one. Through Genetic research.

The genes of test subjects from Nordic Europe Matched the genes of the tests subject from central african countries.
Where was this test done, and by whom? Where are the conclusions of the tests and how do they "prove" the human species came from "one"
Old Feb 9th 2006, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So they wont show it in the end....
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/displayArticle.asp?col=&section=theuae&xfile=data/theuae/2006/February/theuae_February243.xml
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:15 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I find it ironic they stop people watching a piece of fiction about this subject, but you can walk around any shopping mall in Saudi and see blatant homosexuality for real
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:25 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I find it ironic they stop people watching a piece of fiction about this subject, but you can walk around any shopping mall in Saudi and see blatant homosexuality for real
so I take it then that the film is banned in Saudi as well?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 3:35 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To a degree this argument is somewhat academic. Whilst I do believe that because it is against the moral blah blah blah of the UAE, then it should not be shown.

And anyway my little chinese friend Fa is bringing me it on Thursday!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.