Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Brit/American social events in Riyadh?!

Brit/American social events in Riyadh?!

Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Barbs2084 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit/American social events in Riyadh?!

Hello,

Have just moved to Riyadh and am holed up in a hotel still waiting to hear about compound arrangements my company is supposed to be making.
Am a 25 yr old Female brit and don't know anyone here - been here nearly 3 weeks.... so as you can imagine i'm kinda stuck and looking for help / suggestions at how to access the expat scene.

Someone said to go down to the British Embassy, but i called to see if anything was on and they said there was nothing to go down to check out...is there a notice board of events or info to see if I did go storm in on them?!

Any tips would be really appreciated - going a bit insane since its a men's only gym here too.

Thanks
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:44 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit/American social events in Riyadh?!

Originally Posted by Barbs2084
Hello,

Have just moved to Riyadh and am holed up in a hotel still waiting to hear about compound arrangements my company is supposed to be making.
Am a 25 yr old Female brit and don't know anyone here - been here nearly 3 weeks.... so as you can imagine i'm kinda stuck and looking for help / suggestions at how to access the expat scene.

Someone said to go down to the British Embassy, but i called to see if anything was on and they said there was nothing to go down to check out...is there a notice board of events or info to see if I did go storm in on them?!

Any tips would be really appreciated - going a bit insane since its a men's only gym here too.

Thanks
hiya and welcome, tought posting that one. Hopefully Nic will see this and give you some pointers she was in Riyadh for a few years. Chin up and keep posting there is nothing else to do
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, it's a tough one being a female in a hotel out there. Keep pushing your company to get that accommodation sorted out - make I need to get out of here noises if you have to . . . .

Try one of the hashes - there's a couple (maybe three?) and contact numbers have been posted on here recently so a search on 'hash' should bring that post up. They tend to be a mixed bunch of nationalites etc. quite welcoming and good way to meet people, and you get to get out and about -they do pick up/transport for single females too which is great. I think one of them is planning an overnight trip soon too.

The coffee mornings are pretty dire tbh, and I guess you will be working anyway.

There are a few RIyadhites about on this board who should be able to to help with the mebassy do's as they are actually out there now.

But do keep pushing re getting accommodation sorted and then life will be a huge amount more pleasant for you.

Good luck

N
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Alfi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Barb,

The Friday hash is a morning one this week - email [email protected] with your nationality and passport details etc. They will also arrange a lift for you. (BTW the 'hash' is a desert walking / running club, just in case you didn't know). There are a lot of people there and if you're happy to chat to anyone you can meet lots of people.

The embassy events are mostly ticketed and for the big bashes it's really hard to get the tickets. However there are lots of other 'cultural' events which are easier to attend.

What is your job and do you know which compound you will be going into?
PM me your email and I'll send you details of anything with tickets available.

Cheers
Alfi
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes as a single lady here in the land that time forgot it can be hard.
I know of a couple of social evenings that are happening.
i did send you a pm if you would like to reply to my pm, i can give you lots of good info and contacts as well.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Alfi is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning Barb,

We will be at the hash this Friday so maybe see you there.

Alfi
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Alfi so you will be singing an a dancing again !!!
ha ha
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

Alfi, myself and a few others can get you into the swing of things - check your PM's for some details...welcome to Riyadh...
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nic1
Hi, it's a tough one being a female in a hotel out there. Keep pushing your company to get that accommodation sorted out - make I need to get out of here noises if you have to . . . .

Try one of the hashes - there's a couple (maybe three?) and contact numbers have been posted on here recently so a search on 'hash' should bring that post up. They tend to be a mixed bunch of nationalites etc. quite welcoming and good way to meet people, and you get to get out and about -they do pick up/transport for single females too which is great. I think one of them is planning an overnight trip soon too.

The coffee mornings are pretty dire tbh, and I guess you will be working anyway.

There are a few RIyadhites about on this board who should be able to to help with the mebassy do's as they are actually out there now.

But do keep pushing re getting accommodation sorted and then life will be a huge amount more pleasant for you.

Good luck

N
Hi Nic, thankyou for your reply. I will keep pushing and dropping hints about the compound living. So frustrating just living on the edge of it all here!

Alfi has sent me info about the hashing, which i'm keen for so will get onto that. Am adjusting to the customs for women out here, gradually. I'm pretty independent and into photography (in the most amateur way) so it a liiiittle tricky getting used to not being about to pop down the street or just explore the city on my own. Luckily am staying at the Al-faisaliah hotel, so the mall helps with stretching the legs ( though its pretty dull - am a rubbish shopper)

Any tips on clubs or groups or creative events would be great. Was hoping rekindle some horse riding, or have a go at sorting out Golfing too...(ex-hockey player).

Thanks again for your expertise.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Hi to you all!

Thank you all again for your replies, PM and tips! Have sent certain details through so hopefully i can make something of this 'situation'! Like i've said, its pretty frustrating living on the edge of it all, especially having heard how entertaining expat living could be. (ALthough maybe some people may not agree!)

Still, am keen for this bizarre experience. Am pulled pillar to post somewhat with my job (private tutoring history of art for a family here) But hopefully i can sort out some sort of a life around it!

Thanks to you all again - its pretty dire not knowing anyone, and feels a tad bizarre doing this through a forum. Guess this is what they're for though!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:03 am
Ray

Ray Ray-london is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Brit/American social events in Riyadh?!

Originally Posted by Barbs2084
Hello,

Thanks

Hi Barb

Someone kindly threw your thread my way! Im also fairly new here, I'm pretty much in a similiar position as you,well I would say not much different!

I moved here Dec 08 so do know it fairly ok, but have no firends apart from my husbands friends wives who are all mostly non english so makes it a little hard for anyone to understand what your going through.

I dont live in a compound but live with mu husband in a buliding, so supposed to be worse as I am literally stuck at home most of the time, or all the time, I dont work here as I'm always on a visiting visa, dont ask they refused my iquama and we havent bothered since then least this way i get to go home every now and then. you say your from Surrey not sure how near by you are to me but I'm from Streatham.part of surrey's up the road from me, well not anymore as this is home for time being!

So if theres anything I can help with or be a friend that you might need and I need please let me know!

Hope everything works out for you..
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

caramello is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Barbs,
I would hope that by now you are not still stuck in a hotel and that you have started to make friends, build a social life etc. I am a teacher and just arrived in Riyadh 2 days ago and though I know it's early days I'm feeling a bit homesick. I am living in a large, window-less building in what is pretty much the middle of nowhere and most of the other teachers seem to have been here a while and have their own lives, friends etc. I'm kinda worried I'm going to be stuck in this flat for the next 8 months alone and at the moment the TV doesn't even work! I also heard about embassy do's etc, but I'm not sure how to go about finding out about them. If you had any luck maybe you could drop me a line? Maybe you could drop me a line anyway? Think am gonna need all the friends I can get around here... If you private message me I will give you email. I can't message you at the mo as it won't let me..
Carmelle
Ps; I am a 31 year old female originally from the UK ;-)
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

just seen this again, and you've probably got all the info now - but just in case - you can ride at Dirhab Golf Course which is about 40 minutes out of town. They have a website if you do a search.

Hope it's going better and you've got accommocation sorted.

N
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:51 am
Just Joined

nosheen is an unknown quantity at this point

HI ALL!!! Just read some of the threads - I am new on this site and also kinda new to Riyadh as well - I'm a Brit trying to live the life here in Riyadh - I don't live in a compound but with my Employer (yep its madness) but i really do want to get into the social scene in Riyadh with other Expats as slowly but surely i am goin insane!
I am a Personal Trainer and am seriously finding it difficult to train in the way that i love to train - i.e. running outdoors, Muay thai and boxing as everything is soooo limited for women !
Can anyone get in touch to let me know about the HASH and other events - you guys seem real friendly and fun - would b nice to get some sort of social life back again before i turn into a Hermit! lol
i really wana party! iv been trying to seek any events in the Brit embassy or possible new year events but so far nothing!
Is there anyone out there whose looking for a serious training partner - male/female - or if ur a fitness professional yourself and you want to step up your own training...let me know!
please feel free to PM me
[email protected]