Reload this Page >

bringing electrical things to doha

bringing electrical things to doha

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 9:38 am
Just Joined

alison223 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bringing electrical things to doha

Hi
We are going to be relocating to doha in December. We have 3 kids all wanting to bring Nintendos, Playstations, Hair Straightners ect ect. Can I get the electrical convertors out in Doha or should I get them in the UK?

Also what did you guys bring over with you? I am not bringing any furniture as we are getting a one off payment to furnish our place, but what about bedding, cutlery ect.....we have to totally clear our house as we are renting it out while we are away and they say they rent better unfurnished....so i am madley car booting, selling everthing thats not of sentimental value!!

Any advice would be great...dont want to bring too much...or to little!!!!!!

Thanks
Ali
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:48 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bringing electrical things to doha

AFAIK, you won't need to use any adapters to bring your own stuff - Qatar uses the same voltage and plugs as the UK.

You may need to use adapters for anything you buy out here, though, because most electrical gadgets here come with 2-pin plugs (like shaver plugs). You can buy packs of the plastic socket adapters everywhere out here.

Last edited by Eeyore; Oct 23rd 2006 at 10:51 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:09 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alison223
Hi
We are going to be relocating to doha in December. We have 3 kids all wanting to bring Nintendos, Playstations, Hair Straightners ect ect. Can I get the electrical convertors out in Doha or should I get them in the UK?

Also what did you guys bring over with you? I am not bringing any furniture as we are getting a one off payment to furnish our place, but what about bedding, cutlery ect.....we have to totally clear our house as we are renting it out while we are away and they say they rent better unfurnished....so i am madley car booting, selling everthing thats not of sentimental value!!

Thanks
Ali

Hey Ali welcome aboard and to Doha in no time

Electrical stuff should be fine, no need for adapters. A regards to wot to get thats a tricky question. Bedding def not. I got mine and it doesnt fit as they have huge beds here so had to buy new ones anyways. I would suggest personal stuff which will make yr house cosier and more like a home. Kids personal stuff. Kids need their things. U can find mostly anything u want. I honestly dont know wot to advise u to get.

If u need ask anything else tho Im here and gimmie a shout ok

Malt xxx
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

alison223 is an unknown quantity at this point

Malt xxx[/QUOTE]

Thanks Malt for welcoming me to Doha....yep gonna be bringing lots of the kids stuff but they are looking forward to hitting the malls and souks for new stuff. Its amazing the amount of stuff we have saved over the years that is total rubbish, so it feels god to be getting rid of it all...maybe i will become a minimalist in Doha (Husband thinks thats not likely). I am hoping to come over at the same time as my hubby if not it will be a couple of weeks later, then we have the awful tasks of finding a place to rent!!! Getting the kids enrolled at school, finding a car ect ect.

We are all excited about the move, even the kids!!! My step mum and sister both live in doha although my sis is studying at uni in oz but will be home for 3 months over xmas...they have had some family worrys in India so I dont want to bother them with too many questions.

So, can I ask you what your take on life is in Doha? I have to say that most of what I have read is that it is great.

Thanks again
Ali
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:00 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Malt xxx

Thanks Malt for welcoming me to Doha....yep gonna be bringing lots of the kids stuff but they are looking forward to hitting the malls and souks for new stuff. Its amazing the amount of stuff we have saved over the years that is total rubbish, so it feels god to be getting rid of it all...maybe i will become a minimalist in Doha (Husband thinks thats not likely). I am hoping to come over at the same time as my hubby if not it will be a couple of weeks later, then we have the awful tasks of finding a place to rent!!! Getting the kids enrolled at school, finding a car ect ect.

We are all excited about the move, even the kids!!! My step mum and sister both live in doha although my sis is studying at uni in oz but will be home for 3 months over xmas...they have had some family worrys in India so I dont want to bother them with too many questions.

So, can I ask you what your take on life is in Doha? I have to say that most of what I have read is that it is great.

Thanks again
Ali[/QUOTE]

About becoming a minimalist here...I seriously doubt it. The amount of rubbish we have accumulated in two years omg unbelievable and we only came here wt 20 boxes of our personal stuff.

Intake on the life is Doha is honestly not that bad. Crazy driving and the construction everywhere are prob the worst. People incl locals r very friendly. Rents r sky high. Country is a mess about these freakin Asian Games. Personally I think it will all calm down once it is all over. Cant wait!

Im sure u will fit in nicely especially if u already have family and friends

Keep it coming if u need anything else and let me know once u arrive so I can introduce u around ok..
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:30 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Ali
Hi Ali ... welcome to Doha. Let me know if you need anything. Will PM you my number. xx