Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Best Restaurant in Dubai?

Best Restaurant in Dubai?

Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:40 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Restaurant in Dubai?

Originally Posted by Meow
Zheng He's - Mina a Salam. Chinese, but very elegant.
You took the words right out of my mouth (so the song goes)
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:46 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I think Verre is a little over-rated. Wasn't to my liking, food is very rich - but probably worth a look as I seem to be in the minority.

Ushna in Madinat does decent Indian (although don't be expecting it to be like Curry Capital in Bigg Market).
Old Feb 6th 2007, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I think Verre is a little over-rated. Wasn't to my liking, food is very rich - but probably worth a look as I seem to be in the minority.

Ushna in Madinat does decent Indian (although don't be expecting it to be like Curry Capital in Bigg Market).
ohh yeah, I like Ushna too...but it's still not the same as a late night cuzza in Rusholme!

Zeng Hes is lovely, although it's a bit overpriced for what it is...haven't found a better Chinese here though.

Still think you should go for Verre!

MM, xx
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:25 am
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
ohh yeah, I like Ushna too...but it's still not the same as a late night cuzza in Rusholme!

Zeng Hes is lovely, although it's a bit overpriced for what it is...haven't found a better Chinese here though.

Still think you should go for Verre!

MM, xx
Aehm, I'll rather be unpopular than a lier, therefore:
-Rule no.1: don't enquire Brits about the food. Ramsey's included. Their evaluation criteria usually are:a) servings are HUGE b) the decoration is nice, neither of which has nothing to do with the food, though it helps the eyes (and the pork belly).

That said (which really means all of you, YES ALL OF YOU, eat wherever you want but FOR GOD'S SAKE just DON'T talk about it, do NOT talk about it!!!), a few free thoughts on restos in Dubai. Ah, background first.:
a) Me being here for 5 years, before I was in Beijing for 2, before I was in Rome, Sicily, Udine (all those places are in Italy, including Sicily) for 20+ years).
b) me have been a tour guide for an year, all sort of guests, from the millionaire in USD to the millionaires in LKR.
c) I love Indian food. Mmm. No, again. I LOOOOOOOOVE Indian food, and good food in general. And great wines. HINT: Jacob's creek is not worth even being being used to wash my cat's sandbox. Therefore, if you consider JC a "good wine"...

Restos:
Verre: best food for your money, they import their own ingredients, it makes a lot of difference. ALLAH KAREEM Ramsey never cooks there, not even when he's in town. Luca Gagliardi is a very good friend of mine, he and the rest of the crew simply make the difference, the setting is SOBER, something we're getting increseangly unused to. The overall experience (F&B, ambience, service) is GREAT: THERE you want to go to spent your money and make your mama happy!
YES, it is on the WRONG side of the creek!!!

-KHANA KHAZANA!!!Best thing after making love, the food is amazing (HINT: Dhal Makhani, Jawa Jeenga, Jalali Jeenga, but you just can't go wrong!) AND the BEST margaritas in town!! AND it's next to Cyclone! I mean, what more do you want???Foot massage?

-Pisces: good food, but WAY overpriced, better go to:
INTERCONTINENTAL (yes, I still call it like that):
-Fish market, quiet and quite good, BUT you have to know how to order, meaning: you have to know how to cook a fish (BRITS: dont' go there).

Still at the intercon (or RadissonSAS, whatever): YUM! Again, great food, real south east asia, blah blah blah, and you decently priced booze (BRITS: go there).

ZhengHe: Mei Men! Which in Chinese means: no way! Ask a Chinese friend to bring you to muraqqabat or Salauddin street in Deira, best Chinese food in town. You want athmosphere because you're SO CORNY that you think you can "treat" a "lady" into a CHINESE restaurant (BAD idea)? Then Shangrila hotel is for you, do it a LITTLE in style, at least!

-good lebanese: mir amin, on the beach road, in front of Jum Beach Park. Or go to Umm Al Quwein on Friday, all your Lesbanese friends know abou t it. HINT: you could get back with a fat-arse lover, you never know, it could be your lucky Friday!

10 dhs meal: Punnusammy (Kerama) , Chettinad restaurant. In Bur Dubai, Puranmal in Bur Dubai, the sweets are TO-DIE-FOR.

Anything else is mostly rubbish, just eat at home. And DON'T try ANY Italian "restaurant", just don't.

Oh, if any of you feel insulted, please do tell me. I like to think that my efforts are not in vane
Old Feb 6th 2007, 6:39 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Greco

Verre - agreed
Fishmarket - not been
KhanaKazana - next to Cyclone is hardly a selling point for a romantic evening.
Pisces, yes I know it's toppy, but is still excellent (the salt baked cod being superb)
Yum - never been
Zheng Hei - agree about the "it's not authentic" bit, but the setting and nosebag is fantastic.
Lebo places - come on let's face it anyone who eats eyes, brains and bollocks must be talking them. Although So fah me whatever in Madinat is fine
Italians - Try that place in Ridges plaza, the best of a bad lot.

Your comment on ZH is a bit like saying that the contemporary slant at Asha's in Wafi is not proper Indian grub. We know that. But sometimes we don't want contemporary, we like new ideas.

Failing that LJ take her to JW's XII, get her boozed (two glasses of wine should suffice) and have your wicked way with the poor girl on the way back having hired yourself a blacked out limo!! That is what the Brits do. Isn't it?

Last edited by MJC; Feb 6th 2007 at 6:41 am. Reason: Can't spell and I know how picky some of you are....
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:06 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

A very entertaining insight, Mr. Greco. You seem to have an issue with us Brits. Shame you can't spell "vain".

That sounds like a good approach, M, although we've been to the Marriot a couple of times already. I think a trip to Verre is on the cards, maybe when we stay at the hotel that I won the the overnight stay in. Then it's not such a schlepp.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:43 am
Banned

Scania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassy
Last night I went to Napa at AlQasr it just been changed into a upmarket steak restaurent and it was fab th menu was brilliant its now my new fav restaurant........
Funny you should say that I was there last night too, it is my second visit and the food is excellent
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scania Wheelnutz
Funny you should say that I was there last night too, it is my second visit and the food is excellent
Bet you had better company on the first visit though

MM, xx
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:59 am
Banned

Scania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond reputeScania Wheelnutz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
Bet you had better company on the first visit though

MM, xx
I always keep excellent company wherever I am MM
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scania Wheelnutz
I always keep excellent company wherever I am MM
oh I'm sure of that SW!

MM, xx
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:54 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah yes, the mutual arse licking thread, it's been a while....
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:22 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrecoRomano
Aehm, I'll rather be unpopular than a lier, therefore:
-Rule no.1: don't enquire Brits about the food. Ramsey's included. Their evaluation criteria usually are:a) servings are HUGE b) the decoration is nice, neither of which has nothing to do with the food, though it helps the eyes (and the pork belly).

That said (which really means all of you, YES ALL OF YOU, eat wherever you want but FOR GOD'S SAKE just DON'T talk about it, do NOT talk about it!!!), a few free thoughts on restos in Dubai. Ah, background first.:
a) Me being here for 5 years, before I was in Beijing for 2, before I was in Rome, Sicily, Udine (all those places are in Italy, including Sicily) for 20+ years).
b) me have been a tour guide for an year, all sort of guests, from the millionaire in USD to the millionaires in LKR.
c) I love Indian food. Mmm. No, again. I LOOOOOOOOVE Indian food, and good food in general. And great wines. HINT: Jacob's creek is not worth even being being used to wash my cat's sandbox. Therefore, if you consider JC a "good wine"...

Restos:
Verre: best food for your money, they import their own ingredients, it makes a lot of difference. ALLAH KAREEM Ramsey never cooks there, not even when he's in town. Luca Gagliardi is a very good friend of mine, he and the rest of the crew simply make the difference, the setting is SOBER, something we're getting increseangly unused to. The overall experience (F&B, ambience, service) is GREAT: THERE you want to go to spent your money and make your mama happy!
YES, it is on the WRONG side of the creek!!!

-KHANA KHAZANA!!!Best thing after making love, the food is amazing (HINT: Dhal Makhani, Jawa Jeenga, Jalali Jeenga, but you just can't go wrong!) AND the BEST margaritas in town!! AND it's next to Cyclone! I mean, what more do you want???Foot massage?

-Pisces: good food, but WAY overpriced, better go to:
INTERCONTINENTAL (yes, I still call it like that):
-Fish market, quiet and quite good, BUT you have to know how to order, meaning: you have to know how to cook a fish (BRITS: dont' go there).

Still at the intercon (or RadissonSAS, whatever): YUM! Again, great food, real south east asia, blah blah blah, and you decently priced booze (BRITS: go there).

ZhengHe: Mei Men! Which in Chinese means: no way! Ask a Chinese friend to bring you to muraqqabat or Salauddin street in Deira, best Chinese food in town. You want athmosphere because you're SO CORNY that you think you can "treat" a "lady" into a CHINESE restaurant (BAD idea)? Then Shangrila hotel is for you, do it a LITTLE in style, at least!

-good lebanese: mir amin, on the beach road, in front of Jum Beach Park. Or go to Umm Al Quwein on Friday, all your Lesbanese friends know abou t it. HINT: you could get back with a fat-arse lover, you never know, it could be your lucky Friday!

10 dhs meal: Punnusammy (Kerama) , Chettinad restaurant. In Bur Dubai, Puranmal in Bur Dubai, the sweets are TO-DIE-FOR.

Anything else is mostly rubbish, just eat at home. And DON'T try ANY Italian "restaurant", just don't.

Oh, if any of you feel insulted, please do tell me. I like to think that my efforts are not in vane
Hmm, let's see. This site appears to be called BritishExpats & the thread is about restaurants/food. Of course Brits are going to talk about just that.

People's tastes are different & I think a lot of your comments are frankly insulting and patronising. So you've met a few Brits who don't understand food? Don't tar us all with the same brush.

Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:25 pm
W10

Best Chinese in Dubai: Noodle Bowl in Diyahfa Street or Lang Kwai Fong near Lamcy Plaza.

Shang Palace at the Shangri-la does a passable dim sum too.

All of the chefs in these places are from Hong Kong.

Oh - and Italians - try Stefanos in Barsha...run by a lovely Milanese couple.

Last edited by W10; Feb 6th 2007 at 1:29 pm.

Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:27 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Best Chinese in Dubai: Noodle Bowl in Diyahfa Street or Lang Kwai Fong near Lamcy Plaza.

Shang Palace at the Shangri-la does a passable dim sum too.

All of the chefs in these places are from Hong Kong.
Is Shang palace worth going to? I have fancied doing so for a while as I have a bit of a dim sum obsession.

Ta
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:30 pm
W10

In general - the dim sum in Dubai is appalling.

This is passable.

I don't really bother to have yum cha over here. I wait till I go back to Hong Kong or London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.