Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Beirut - travel advice!

Beirut - travel advice!

Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:44 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Beirut - travel advice!

Hello,

Just a quick one - I might have to travel to Beirut for work reasons.

I'm fine with this - my company is run from Beirut - however the UK Gov travel advice is avoid for all but essential travel and I've heard of other companies not sending staff currently...

One car bomb last week and the election scheduled for this week. I'm meant to fly on Weds....

Any thought - fine just get on with it - or are you F'ing MAD! ..

All input welcomed!

Auto.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beirut - travel advice!

I'd love to travel - anywhere - with work! Personally I'd jump at it, but then everyone's situation is different...
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Check your travel insurance....
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:15 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I am probably wrong here, but I was under the impression that the election may have been postponed until next month...I would love to go, if only for the good looking and buxom women...if LBC is anything to go by.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
Check your travel insurance....
your travel insurance will most probably be void...

however... I was there was a couple of weeks after the hariri assasination and another 3 bombs went off whilst i was there... it wasn't so bad though I had a great time whilst i was out there but the downtown area was completely empty... however if you're planning on any touristy things it should be good as there will probably be no tourists there either... I pretty much had the whole of baalbek and jeita to myself whilst i was there.

Honestly though from my experience of lebanon over the last few years... I would probably just go... ever since i've had lebanese friends i keep getting told the next civil war is around the corner and it's not a good time to go there because it's not safe...

it may never be safe so i would say just go...

HOWEVER... i would never go during election time because it's just suicide... the outcome of the election there has already been fixed and there will be a lot of unhappy people over the next few weeks so i'd wait to see what happens
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

sure confucius will be able to give you a good low down...

MM, xx
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:31 pm
W10

Beirut is always awesome. Been a few times. I wouldn't worry, you'll be too busy partying at night to care about whether you are stood too close to an anti-Syrian MP :-)

Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Beirut is always awesome. Been a few times. I wouldn't worry, you'll be too busy partying at night to care about whether you are stood too close to an anti-Syrian MP :-)
Am hoping I will have a trip over to Egypt at the end of Ramadan.
Havnt been to Africa so will be ablt to tick another land mass off the list
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by W10
well it kinda depends on what happens when you get there... as I said downtown was completely empty... clubs bars and restaurants had no one in them and some of them just shut completely after the hariri assasination
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

The whole country was in shock in the aftermath of the Hariri assasination...The next shockwave to hit the tourism and nightlife in the country was last year's Israeli aggression...Now,everything is normal,which,in Lebanese terms means;you can go out and do what you like and have a great time and live life like it's your last day on earth...
Auto,it is still advisable to ask the people you're going to see directly,and see what they think about the area that you'll be staying in and the overall situation on the ground...