British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Beirut - travel advice! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/beirut-travel-advice-483131/)

Autonomy Sep 24th 2007 8:44 am

Beirut - travel advice!

Hello,

Just a quick one - I might have to travel to Beirut for work reasons.

I'm fine with this - my company is run from Beirut - however the UK Gov travel advice is avoid for all but essential travel and I've heard of other companies not sending staff currently...

One car bomb last week and the election scheduled for this week. I'm meant to fly on Weds....

Any thought - fine just get on with it :thumbup: - or are you F'ing MAD! :blink: ..

All input welcomed!

Auto.

jvr20 Sep 24th 2007 8:46 am

Re: Beirut - travel advice!

I'd love to travel - anywhere - with work! Personally I'd jump at it, but then everyone's situation is different...

Paidtoplease Sep 24th 2007 8:56 am

Check your travel insurance....

lionheart Sep 24th 2007 9:15 am

I am probably wrong here, but I was under the impression that the election may have been postponed until next month...I would love to go, if only for the good looking and buxom women...if LBC is anything to go by.

Cham128 Sep 24th 2007 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease (Post 5347466)
Check your travel insurance....

your travel insurance will most probably be void...

however... I was there was a couple of weeks after the hariri assasination and another 3 bombs went off whilst i was there... it wasn't so bad though I had a great time whilst i was out there but the downtown area was completely empty... however if you're planning on any touristy things it should be good as there will probably be no tourists there either... I pretty much had the whole of baalbek and jeita to myself whilst i was there.

Honestly though from my experience of lebanon over the last few years... I would probably just go... ever since i've had lebanese friends i keep getting told the next civil war is around the corner and it's not a good time to go there because it's not safe...

it may never be safe so i would say just go...

HOWEVER... i would never go during election time because it's just suicide... the outcome of the election there has already been fixed and there will be a lot of unhappy people over the next few weeks so i'd wait to see what happens

Madam Medusa Sep 24th 2007 9:21 am

sure confucius will be able to give you a good low down...

MM, xx

W10 Sep 26th 2007 1:31 pm

Beirut is always awesome. Been a few times. I wouldn't worry, you'll be too busy partying at night to care about whether you are stood too close to an anti-Syrian MP :-)

Inselaffen Sep 26th 2007 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5356728)
Beirut is always awesome. Been a few times. I wouldn't worry, you'll be too busy partying at night to care about whether you are stood too close to an anti-Syrian MP :-)

Am hoping I will have a trip over to Egypt at the end of Ramadan.
Havnt been to Africa so will be ablt to tick another land mass off the list

Cham128 Sep 26th 2007 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5356728)

well it kinda depends on what happens when you get there... as I said downtown was completely empty... clubs bars and restaurants had no one in them and some of them just shut completely after the hariri assasination

Confucius Sep 26th 2007 4:07 pm

The whole country was in shock in the aftermath of the Hariri assasination...The next shockwave to hit the tourism and nightlife in the country was last year's Israeli aggression...Now,everything is normal,which,in Lebanese terms means;you can go out and do what you like and have a great time and live life like it's your last day on earth...
Auto,it is still advisable to ask the people you're going to see directly,and see what they think about the area that you'll be staying in and the overall situation on the ground...