British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Beirut or Amman ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/beirut-amman-353053/)

novita77 Feb 5th 2006 11:12 am

Beirut or Amman ?

Anyone on the board from that 2 cities? Or anyone been there? Thinking of going either Beirut or Amman with 4 years old and hubby. We never been there at all, dunno what to expect?

What things to see and to do in Beirut or Amman?

Thinking about 6 days package ... do u think it would be too short or too long?

Thanks a lot.

xx

ZooZ Feb 6th 2006 5:09 am

Re: Beirut or Amman ?

Beirut....
and if you go now.. u can go skying...

novita77 Feb 6th 2006 5:48 am

Originally Posted by ZooZ
Beirut....
and if you go now.. u can go skying...

skying? :confused:

Desert Dweller Feb 6th 2006 6:59 am

Skiing I guess.

Face81 Feb 6th 2006 7:40 am

Originally Posted by novita77
Anyone on the board from that 2 cities? Or anyone been there? Thinking of going either Beirut or Amman with 4 years old and hubby. We never been there at all, dunno what to expect?

Thanks a lot.

xx

Either is scary at the mo with all the violence in that general area due to those Danish publications.... :scared: :scared: :scared:

Autonomy Feb 6th 2006 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Face81
Either is scary at the mo with all the violence in that general area due to those Danish publications.... :scared: :scared: :scared:

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that people would not generally assume that Novita is Danish ;)

novita77 Feb 6th 2006 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that people would not generally assume that Novita is Danish ;)

but they might assume my hubby is :eek:

r u guys trying to suggest that we shouldn't go? :o

ZooZ Feb 6th 2006 9:29 am

I would not worry about it novi..
have a good time

W10 Feb 6th 2006 3:39 pm

I'm planning to go to Beruit for a mad weekend of alcohol, clubbing and sex soon.

I'm not planning the same for Amman.

novita77 Feb 6th 2006 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by ZooZ
I would not worry about it novi..
have a good time

decided to go to Amman if hubby can get a time off.

next time will defenitely going to Beirut. :p

novita77 Feb 6th 2006 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by W10
I'm planning to go to Beruit for a mad weekend of alcohol, clubbing and sex soon.

I'm not planning the same for Amman.

why?

W10 Feb 6th 2006 5:31 pm

I'm thinking that drinking all night and falling over in the street might be frowned upon in Amman.

Seriously though - from what I can gather. Beruit is fine.

Tell me...I'm planning to spend one night in each of the major Gulf cities over the next few months.

Is there ANYTHING to do in Doha at night? bars, clubs, ladies with loose morals?

I'm counting on Doha being a bit more lively than say...Kuwait City...

novita77 Feb 6th 2006 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by W10
I'm thinking that drinking all night and falling over in the street might be frowned upon in Amman.

Seriously though - from what I can gather. Beruit is fine.

Tell me...I'm planning to spend one night in each of the major Gulf cities over the next few months.

Is there ANYTHING to do in Doha at night? bars, clubs, ladies with loose morals?

I'm counting on Doha being a bit more lively than say...Kuwait City...

cant answer what doha like compare to Kuwait ... i never been to Kuwait. Yes we do have bars in the hotels. But ladies with loose morals u will have to find it yourself. :p

secretdubai Feb 6th 2006 8:04 pm

Amman is absolutely lovely. There are some wondrous historic sites in the city itself, and other amazing places such as Jerash, the Dead Sea and Madaba are an easy day-trip or half day-trip away.

Can't quite remember my geography, but I think the east side of the city is the more "westernised" side - lots of restaurants, cafes, buzzing nightlife. Downtown, the other side (where the amphitheatre and stuff are but much more traditiona) was literally 99% men there when I went, and they stare (however modestly you dress). Just ignore them.

Jordan is really really lovely. Well worth a visit. Lots of cheap and quite pleasant little hotels around too.

And if you go there, try Books@Cafe for a pizza on a lovely outdoor roof terrace (directions in Lonely Planet, which is a must for Jordan).

Face81 Feb 6th 2006 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy

lol. very funny, Morph. :p

Face81 Feb 6th 2006 8:11 pm

i wouldnt go, but then again i wouldnt/havent visited any other coutries in the ME apart from Oman (dunno if Turkey counts). Dont think I ever will, either. :cool:

Frans Wind Feb 8th 2006 7:22 am

Thanks a lot.

xx

Choose for the pearl of the Middle East Novita. If it was me? In a fraction of a second I would choose Beirut. Awesome social life, good night life. Not for nothing it's called "Europe with palm trees". And yes, was there about ten days ago. Do you know any other country in the Middle East where one can go skiing (I mean the real thing) and... Within an hour can also be lying on the beach sunbathing? Just don't rent a car there, like everywhere in the Middle East they drive like idiots !!!!

Frans

P.S. Hi !!!

novita77 Feb 8th 2006 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Face81
i wouldnt go, but then again i wouldnt/havent visited any other coutries in the ME apart from Oman (dunno if Turkey counts). Dont think I ever will, either. :cool:

why? :confused:

*hi Face, long time no chat xx*

novita77 Feb 8th 2006 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Frans Wind
Choose for the pearl of the Middle East Novita. If it was me? In a fraction of a second I would choose Beirut. Awesome social life, good night life. Not for nothing it's called "Europe with palm trees". And yes, was there about ten days ago. Do you know any other country in the Middle East where one can go skiing (I mean the real thing) and... Within an hour can also be lying on the beach sunbathing? Just don't rent a car there, like everywhere in the Middle East they drive like idiots !!!!

Frans

P.S. Hi !!!

Hi Frans ...

we have decided to go to Amman if hubby can get time off from work.

where have u been? havent heard u for ages.

Malteser Feb 8th 2006 12:27 pm

Frans

P.S. Hi !!!

Geeeeeeeeex FRANS heyyyyyyyyyyy, how r u?????

What happened to u?????

Frans Wind Feb 8th 2006 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Malteser
Geeeeeeeeex FRANS heyyyyyyyyyyy, how r u?????

What happened to u?????

Hi there Malty, and ofcourse Novita as well !!!!

Where have I been? Covered in work I guess. The number one in a small export firm does come with a price tag attached. But on the other hand, the freedom to go after clients I choose and to rebuild a company in the same time is a rather unique challenge. I'll try to log on a bit more in the future, but when I saw Novi's question I couldn't resist answering.

I just simply love Beirut, the food is awesome, a night life that can easily be called "European", friendly people and what's even better? If it's brand new in Paris fashion wise? It's available in Beirut a day later for far better prices. ;)

Take care all of you !!!!

Frans

Face81 Feb 8th 2006 1:18 pm

why? :confused:

*hi Face, long time no chat xx*

dunno Nov, guess I am a little scared of the region in general, due to all the conflict and instability. Maybe I sound a little naive, but I dont want to be anywhere near Americans that "think" they are in control of ME nations.... The western ME, in particular, scares me alot! :scared:

Malteser Feb 8th 2006 2:08 pm

Hi there Malty, and ofcourse Novita as well !!!!

Where have I been? Covered in work I guess. The number one in a small export firm does come with a price tag attached. But on the other hand, the freedom to go after clients I choose and to rebuild a company in the same time is a rather unique challenge. I'll try to log on a bit more in the future, but when I saw Novi's question I couldn't resist answering.

I just simply love Beirut, the food is awesome, a night life that can easily be called "European", friendly people and what's even better? If it's brand new in Paris fashion wise? It's available in Beirut a day later for far better prices. ;)

Take care all of you !!!!

Frans

Glad to know ure doing great Sweet. Yeah do check on us when u can tho ;) .....

Dont work too hard........all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy :o

Frans Wind Feb 8th 2006 3:22 pm

Glad to know ure doing great Sweet. Yeah do check on us when u can tho ;) .....

Dont work too hard........all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy :o

Oooo... But I'm far from dull Malty, how has life been treating you down there? 12 hours a day I play the General Manager, 48, single as I'll ever be and no, don't have any plans on changing that status for a loooooooong, long time.

Frans

Frans Wind Feb 8th 2006 3:40 pm

Hi Frans ...

we have decided to go to Amman if hubby can get time off from work.

where have u been? havent heard u for ages.

Big, big mistake Novi. The only problem I have with Beirut is that every time I come home I've gained 2 kilograms in weight. I love the Lebanese kitchen. I might be a (single) male (again), but watching a belly dancer do her thing? Hmmm... I should have been born as Arab royalty 200 years ago. :rolleyes:

Frans

Malteser Feb 8th 2006 4:27 pm

Oooo... But I'm far from dull Malty, how has life been treating you down there? 12 hours a day I play the General Manager, 48, single as I'll ever be and no, don't have any plans on changing that status for a loooooooong, long time.

Frans

Oh we are great here in the sand pit.....hehe! Glad to know u r still the same ol Frans....... ;)

Frans Wind Feb 8th 2006 4:28 pm

Oh we are great here in the sand pit.....hehe! Glad to know u r still the same ol Frans....... ;)

Old cats never change Malty... :)

shoushou Feb 8th 2006 5:55 pm

Old cats never change Malty... :)

So when will we next hear from you???In June....July??? :D

Malteser Feb 8th 2006 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by shoushou

As usual u confuse me :confused:

shoushou Feb 8th 2006 5:58 pm

As usual u confuse me :confused:

Hes been away for more than six months...So he posts today,and another one in June-July....

Frans Wind Feb 8th 2006 5:59 pm

Hi there you crazy Armenian !!!! I was just about to hit the shower, then crawl into bed. I'll be on and off this forum don't worry.

shoushou Feb 8th 2006 6:00 pm

Hi there you crazy Armenian !!!! I was just about to hit the shower, then crawl into bed. I'll be on and off this forum don't worry.

Now I really am worried...:D

How are you my ol' Dutch???

Malteser Feb 8th 2006 6:02 pm

Didnt know u two knew eachother :confused:

Men :rolleyes:

Frans Wind Feb 8th 2006 6:02 pm

Tired as hell, need to find myself a nice white beach with a coconut tree. The Cuban sigars I have, the Black Label also. This time I'll call it "Male Paradise"

shoushou Feb 8th 2006 6:03 pm

He took me under his wing once....

Malteser Feb 8th 2006 6:04 pm

OOeeerrrr any need for details :rolleyes:

shoushou Feb 8th 2006 6:04 pm

Tired as hell, need to find myself a nice white beach with a coconut tree. The Cuban sigars I have, the Black Label also. This time I'll call it "Male Paradise"

And dont forget to put a Buena Vista Social Club on the player as well....Vamonos.... :D

Malteser Feb 8th 2006 6:04 pm

He took me under his wing once....

I smell trouble now :(

Frans Wind Feb 8th 2006 6:05 pm

I once hade a weak spot for the female version of "ian" or otherwise known as the stuburn little race of people called the Armenians. :rolleyes:

Frans Wind Feb 8th 2006 6:06 pm

And dont forget to put a Buena Vista Social Club on the player as well....Vamonos.... :D

Nope... Deep Purple's "Child in time"....