Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Bahrain moving house.

Bahrain moving house.

Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:40 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all
Default Bahrain moving house.

We are moving house after 2 years and after reluctantly signing a new rental agreement for a stipulated period of 1 year. Our new land lord says is that after the initial contract period is over either party can cancel with 1 months notice. But obviously his opinion is biased.

When the agreement was signed we had a pool and squash court.

Since then both have been closed and zero maintenance carried out on the house or compound.

The landlord told me he will sue for the remaining rental period of 9 months.

My question is has anyone had similar experinces in Bahrain and were they subject to a travel ban much as you guys in Dubai suffer? It would be awkward as I travel to Saudi each day.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:50 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bahrain moving house.

Originally Posted by eylesda
We are moving house after 2 years and after reluctantly signing a new rental agreement for a stipulated period of 1 year. Our new land lord says is that after the initial contract period is over either party can cancel with 1 months notice. But obviously his opinion is biased.

Since then both have been closed and zero maintenance carried out on the house or compound.

My question is has anyone had similar experinces in Bahrain and were they subject to a travel ban much as you guys in Dubai suffer? It would be awkward as I travel to Saudi each day.

that's a new one to me
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:00 am
Banned

eylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to alleylesda is a name known to all

I meant, from what I have read here on this forum that Dubai residents cannot leave if they have a bad debt court case pending.

I was asking if anyone has experienced the same in bahrain.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eylesda

He probably won't sue - he just assumes the threat of that will intimidate you. I'd bluff it out............

Has he said the pool will remain closed, unmaintained, etc, or is he making any 'promises'? If your contract, or agent's details, etc, specifically mention those facilities, you may have some leverage.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:55 am
Banned

There is 1 poor guy working 10 hours a day knocking the old tiles off the pool and surrounding areas.

This has been going on for 2 months, poor sod.

LL mothed off at me that he had just taken delivery of new tiles. great, now the place looks like a builders merchants as well as a building site! Pallets of tiles parked all over the place.

Sure, the pool will eventually get finished but there are many other issues, leaking roof, rats, a/c crap, generally scruffy compound. All this I put in a letter to him along with pics.

He is building a new compound next door and all the crew are busy on that so we can get nothing sorted.

My concern is that if he bangs a claim into the court will I be stopped from travelling until it is resolved whichever way. The courts in Bahrain are well known for being slow.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:34 am
Banned

Update for anyone in bahrain.

As per Brit embassy a travel ban will be imposed as soon as he lodges copmplaint with court.

In the words of the embassy official "landlords here can do what they want".

LL's bad news is that I will retract my notice to quit and hand the place over to my mates from Saudi for the weekend.
Obviously I won't charge as that would be subletting....................