Bahrain job offer

Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

jode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nice
Default Bahrain job offer

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted some advice about Bahrain as a country as I'm thinking of relocating from the UK. What are the most basic living expenses such as rent per month, taxi costs and food shopping? The salary I've been offered is 600BD/month plus 150BD for accommodation- is this enough to get by? Do most apartments come inclusive of bills or does it differ?

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all
Default Re: Bahrain job offer

15,000 quid a year?! Don't even think about it!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

jode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nicejode2226 is just really nice

It's the typical salary for all graduate jobs I'm looking at in the field here and the living costs in Bahrain look slightly lower than in the UK. Primarily I'm just keen to get out of England for a few years. Are you currently living in Bahrain?
Old Jul 31st 2012, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

scottrace is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jode2226
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted some advice about Bahrain as a country as I'm thinking of relocating from the UK. What are the most basic living expenses such as rent per month, taxi costs and food shopping? The salary I've been offered is 600BD/month plus 150BD for accommodation- is this enough to get by? Do most apartments come inclusive of bills or does it differ?

Thanks for your help
Not a chance!!! Check out the property websites and see what you can get for 150bd - doubt you will find anything!! You will need transport in Bahrain - there is no public transport system so a car or taxi's every day. Some food is cheaper depends on what you eat and going out is expensive - think London!
Old Jul 31st 2012, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help
No way! No where near enough... tell them thank you but no thank you VERY FAST!

Min BD400 for rent for a start...
Old Jul 31st 2012, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

I've been living off a very miminal budget for the past several years as a student here, so I'm used to not having luxuries/ an expensive social life. My partner has been offered the same kind of package so we would be living off a combined salary of around £1500 BD per month. What I wanted to know is are most of the apartments inclusive of utility bills and are earnings in Bahrain completely tax-free?

How much are average weekly food bills? A taxi ride for about 30 minutes? Eating out at a local food stall?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 2:20 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been living off a very miminal budget for the past several years as a student here, so I'm used to not having luxuries/ an expensive social life. My partner has been offered the same kind of package so we would be living off a combined salary of around £1500 BD per month. What I wanted to know is are most of the apartments inclusive of utility bills and are earnings in Bahrain completely tax-free?

How much are average weekly food bills? A taxi ride for about 30 minutes? Eating out at a local food stall?
You can't co-habit with a partner in the ME - If caught you will both be in trouble and as a minimum deported.

Utility bills will be extra.

All overseas earnings are subject to UK Tax and NI, unless you become UK non-resident (see HMRC6 guide). Easiest way is to leave the UK to work under a full-time employment contract for at least one full tax year and limit your days visiting the UK (about 90 days from memory). So you'd need to be here until 6 April 2014 to get tax-free status, but it would apply from the date you left the UK under a split-year concession.

Remember to factor a pension into your calcs, they say to save a % equal to half your age when you first start your pension contributions.

Remember start-up costs will be high, especially furnishing an apartment.

Don't ever get into debt trouble in the ME, the consequences are much more severe that in the UK e.g. prison until you pay.

I personally think that salary is far too low and more suited to an Indian IT worker, against whom you will be competing. Why not try to get a few years UK experience then head out to the ME?

[J]
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

brightonguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Johnnboy you are being a bit too worried about the cost here. Jode2226 said the combined salary will be 1500BD, it is certainly enough! They also said they live on the cheap so I don't see the problem.

Utility bills are included in the rent in most places. Here is what you can live on!

500BD for 2 bed fully furnished flat inclusive of utility bills (water, electricity, internet) - and this is in Seef - supposed to be an expensive area. In Juffair / Adliya you can get it for 400-450 and those areas are preferred by most as there are more things to do.
Say 30BD a week for grocery (and that's really, really generous) - 120BD a month.
If you are not living close to where you work, minimum 150BD to rent a car, or you can hire a driver who can take you to and off work for less (depending on your location).

So that's 770BD a month and only the half of the combined salary is gone! Depending on what you eat, eating out is not so expensive either. Fast foods are dirt cheap but unhealthy. Or you can decide to cook at home, and that would be healthy and cheap.

One thing Johnnyboy right is living with your partner. Although I heard some people live with their partners quietly, it is technically illegal but it is not as strict as it is, say in UAE. You just have to be careful and keep it quiet.

These are my thoughts anyway.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Its Ok if his partners is a bloke. It opens up another can of worms but they could live together then
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

brightonguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes that's true. Funny in this situation being gay is better off than being straight in middle east
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

There's no problem shacking up in Bahrain. You will be fine

You can get a 1 bed apatment in bani jamrah next to the highway for 150 a month. Forget the expat areas, you will be in amongst the poorest of the TCN's at that range

It's a very shit wage though and was it worth doing a degree ? Why not go back to uni and study something useful that will pay a bi better in 3 years time. You might be better off in the long run
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Tockalosh, I'm quite happy with what I've studied thanks and don't plan to go back to uni to do a 'useful' degree, having just completed my MSc.

I'm aware that a lot of expats relocate with their companies etc for lavish villa lifestyles, but I've taken a job with a charity that supports children with behavioural difficulties, so funds aren't going to be comparable.

Brightonguy, thanks for your informative reply with rough costs. It's good to know that we can get by on a combined salary of 1500BD quite sufficiently, even if we're living on the cheap.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brightonguy
....One thing Johnnyboy right is living with your partner. Although I heard some people live with their partners quietly, it is technically illegal but it is not as strict as it is, say in UAE. You just have to be careful and keep it quiet....
Since when was it strict in UAE?
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Just get down to Jan Burger and live of them and the occasional shwarma (chip shwarmas if you're feeling fancy)..700 fills a pop.

I hope you don't like to drink alot of alcohol.

I did enjoy quite a few mighty feasts with friends out in Muharraq for a few bd per head..but that was before the disloyals got vocal so not sure how this is now. The islamic propaganda and tape in arabic was free from the local imam, who also gave a guided tour of his mosque.

A good idea is to poke around the old town and look curious..you'll eventually come across the experience that is the generosity of an old bahraini man who'll invite you around for food and he'll continue feeding you till your belly explodes. But not sure this is a very reliable way to plan meals.

Last edited by Paracletus; Aug 3rd 2012 at 3:37 am.