Bahrain

Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Johncirrus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bahrain

Yes my frined but most of the expats that are coming here from Europe will probably receive a good salary so they can live in a place like Amwaj.. It is not to live here for ever.. but it is okey i think for 1-2 years..
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by camel jockey
Seriously??? That's NOT the Bahrain that I know.

Just had delete all the cr*p I just wrote as it came out as verbal diarrhoea so let's just say that I have an opposing opinion.
Word. I had mostly Bahraini friends when I was over there. Celebrated new years with some local family and their friends, chatted with old guys in a really dodgy looking cafes by the souk, got invited home and went to dinner with a complete stranger we met in Muharraq wandering around some old alleys, etc. Very approachable and approaching people.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

What was that about a remote detonated bomb injuring 2 police officers at jidd haffs or budaiya roundabout (can't remember which) 2 days ago ?

Lmao I prefer cyclones hitting the QLD coast and getting flooded to living in a place where the above happens

Safe is a state of mind
Old Jan 31st 2013, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
What was that about a remote detonated bomb injuring 2 police officers at jidd haffs or budaiya roundabout (can't remember which) 2 days ago ?

Lmao I prefer cyclones hitting the QLD coast and getting flooded to living in a place where the above happens

Safe is a state of mind
http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/cate.../sudden-death/

Watch out for announcements.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Well played Paracletus. Well played.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johncirrus
Yes my frined but most of the expats that are coming here from Europe will probably receive a good salary so they can live in a place like Amwaj.. It is not to live here for ever.. but it is okey i think for 1-2 years..
Yes my friend but Amwaj is too far away from the Causeway (or the British schools) to be a practical solution for many. Certainly wasn't an option for us. If your work is in Bahrain itself then I think there are places to hide away from the troubles but if you have kids the worry can grind you down after a while.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Considering the poor gene pool originally exported here Inc criminals, mad women and roman Catholics, it's hardly a shock that the odd stabbing takes place. We don't have too many petrol bombs, IEDs or road blocks though and we haven't been tear gassed once
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Considering the poor gene pool originally exported here Inc criminals, mad women and roman Catholics, it's hardly a shock that the odd stabbing takes place. We don't have too many petrol bombs, IEDs or road blocks though and we haven't been tear gassed once
True, not arguing with that. And no hope for a tune like this being done for any national celebration in the ME either..

Old Feb 1st 2013, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

TiffinTime has a spectacular aura aboutTiffinTime has a spectacular aura aboutTiffinTime has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Have you ever been to Bahrain?? You'll meet locals every day, starting at the airport when you hop in a taxi.
Did you not read my post? Yes, I lived there for five years, rather longer than the average expat who treats it as a one stop money shop, swoops in, cleans up and then gets the hell out.

It's an artificial Middle East country. Almost literally - in the seventies they were scooping up land from the south of the country to plonk it down further north, reclaiming land. For those who just go there to earn oodles of money and have no interest in the ME at all it's probably nirvana.

There's little doubt that it's become a bit more "liberal" since Isa's time - and even he was considered liberal. I've no doubt things are less restricted now - in the seventies any social contact between the British and local people was positively discouraged. Literally.

However, the fact that they felt the need to import Saudi Military to sort out any awakening of a possible Arab Spring shows how very nervous they are. And with good with reason.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiffinTime
Did you not read my post? Yes, I lived there for five years, rather longer than the average expat who treats it as a one stop money shop, swoops in, cleans up and then gets the hell out.

It's an artificial Middle East country. Almost literally - in the seventies they were scooping up land from the south of the country to plonk it down further north, reclaiming land. For those who just go there to earn oodles of money and have no interest in the ME at all it's probably nirvana.

There's little doubt that it's become a bit more "liberal" since Isa's time - and even he was considered liberal. I've no doubt things are less restricted now - in the seventies any social contact between the British and local people was positively discouraged. Literally.

However, the fact that they felt the need to import Saudi Military to sort out any awakening of a possible Arab Spring shows how very nervous they are. And with good with reason.
Bahrain is very different from the time that you were there. I met many people who had been there for a lot longer than 5 years, had raised their families there, bought property etc and classed Bahrain as their home for life. Not quite the brash, cynical bunch you speak of. Generally, it's got much more of a community feel than other places in the Gulf that I've experienced. As Bahrainis are now, by and large an educated population they work in the private sector and are generally a good bunch. It shouldn't be a shock that things are different 40 years after you left.....
Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

There are many interesting and colourful old colonial types in Bahrain. Have you come across this one ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Hen...ice_officer%29
Old Feb 6th 2013, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

TiffinTime has a spectacular aura aboutTiffinTime has a spectacular aura aboutTiffinTime has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=Ronnie Biggs;10523306]Bahrain is very different from the time that you were there. I met many people who had been there for a lot longer than 5 years, had raised their families there, bought property etc and classed Bahrain as their home for life."

You make a valid point. Isa, in his day, was considered relatively liberal and I'm sure things have imoroved now. Interesting that you say people from the West have bought property there now, back then you could not buy a majority share in anything, a house or a business, you had to have a local business partner with with a 51% share in anything you bought.