baggage allowance

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Robster is just really niceRobster is just really niceRobster is just really niceRobster is just really niceRobster is just really niceRobster is just really niceRobster is just really niceRobster is just really nice
Default baggage allowance

I'm flying to dubai on tuesday with emirates from the uk. the baggage allowance on the ticket still states 20 kilos baggage allowance.

I intend to take a suitcase, a large holdall, golf clubs and guitar plus laptopo bag as hand luggage.

anyone know anything about the excess charges, are they strictly enforced? what about the guitar - can i carry that as hand luggage too?

Anyone with any experience of this?
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:19 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: baggage allowance

Originally Posted by Robster
I'm flying to dubai on tuesday with emirates from the uk. the baggage allowance on the ticket still states 20 kilos baggage allowance.

I intend to take a suitcase, a large holdall, golf clubs and guitar plus laptopo bag as hand luggage.

anyone know anything about the excess charges, are they strictly enforced? what about the guitar - can i carry that as hand luggage too?

Anyone with any experience of this?
Emirates are really strict - they tried to charge me 350stg excess baggage coming out here. Check their site, it will give you the excess charges. You should be able to take the guitar on as hand luggage. My husband was able to take his on as hand luggage but he flew out with BA.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

sports gear is free on emirates,
so if you have a big golf travel bag--stuff it with other things also

dont think you will get the guitar on as hand luggage,

Usually they are great and very accommodating (especially in rock bottoms)
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

well Miss Eck, we have just supplied two COMPLETELY opposite advice
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:22 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
well Miss Eck, we have just supplied two COMPLETELY opposite advice
oh well, he will find out at the airport!!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

i fly with emirates all the time, so i find that they are very flexable. I have never ever had any issues at all, and the sports equipment rule is fabulous.

A lot better than BA IMHO of course
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:29 am
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
i fly with emirates all the time, so i find that they are very flexable. I have never ever had any issues at all, and the sports equipment rule is fabulous.

A lot better than BA IMHO of course
I think I was very unlucky when I flew out here. I had 2 suitcases and at check in the guy told me the excess baggage charge was 350stg. I politely told him he was having a laugh! Then he said if I paid cash I could pay 250stg. I said as the cash was going in his pocket, it should be considerably less! I got away with paying 100stg.

The whole thing left me with a very poor impression of Emirates though. Someone did tell me that such staff are employed by BAA and not Emirates, but regardless I was shocked that someone on a check-in counter could behave like this. He clearly has a great little side line going on.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
oh well, he will find out at the airport!!
hand luggage nothing (less) to do with Emirates or for that matter any airline.

The UK now has very strict hand baggage rules, which later spread over to the rest of EU. One item only (which now includes a laptop case; previously a laptop/lady's handbag etc was considered separately)

of course you can get round it by carrying a big bag like a bin liner, putting your bags into it as you go through security and then magically take them out again the other side but it's risky.

The size of the 'one' hand baggage item is quite small - a guitar is a definite no-no AIUI. Robster how long have you been in the UK? Were you around at the time there was all this kerfuffle in the news about these new rules, and how genuine musicians were all up in arms about not being able to transport their instruments (not wishing to put them in the hold as they're £££)

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0036821c0a____
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:33 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

yeah clubs are free, no problem there, and we always do as AA says, stuff more stuff into the bag! you should be ok with the guitar though. Can't wait to meet you Robster - the singing golfer!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:33 am
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by jvr20
hand luggage nothing (less) to do with Emirates or for that matter any airline.

The UK now has very strict hand baggage rules, which later spread over to the rest of EU. One item only (which now includes a laptop case; previously a laptop/lady's handbag etc was considered separately)

of course you can get round it by carrying a big bag like a bin liner, putting your bags into it as you go through security and then magically take them out again the other side but it's risky.

The size of the 'one' hand baggage item is quite small - a guitar is a definite no-no AIUI. Robster how long have you been in the UK? Were you around at the time there was all this kerfuffle in the news about these new rules, and how genuine musicians were all up in arms about not being able to transport their instruments (not wishing to put them in the hold as they're £££)

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0036821c0a____
not been back to the UK for 2 yrs so not up to date on the new guidlines .. thanks .. these will come in handy for me when I go home next month
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Robster is just really niceRobster is just really niceRobster is just really niceRobster is just really niceRobster is just really niceRobster is just really niceRobster is just really niceRobster is just really nice

yeah was aware of the change in rules in the uk. I definately don't want to put the guitar through in the hold - a guitar shaped case i'm sure will attract 'special' attention from the handlers!! I've got a hard case but even so.

good news about the golf clubs - will load the golf bab accordingly!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

is a golf bag free then? clearly discriminatory, I might have to take them to the ECHR!

My trip coming out here BHX-DXB I was 22 kg over but charmed her down to 8 kg
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:41 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

when you get here get in touch - my DH will take you out to play golf on the Sand!!! that is a novel experience!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:41 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by jvr20
is a golf bag free then? clearly discriminatory, I might have to take them to the ECHR!

My trip coming out here BHX-DXB I was 22 kg over but charmed her down to 8 kg
22kg over ! I though it was women who had too many clothes not men!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
22kg over ! I though it was women who had too many clothes not men!
foolishly i carried site safety gear with me - luckily some books which kept me sane - and some voddie from Russia and a bit of Raki

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.