Reload this Page >

Arabic language courses Riyadh

Arabic language courses Riyadh

Old Oct 13th 2013, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

beco1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arabic language courses Riyadh

Hey everyone,
Does anybody know of any good places that offer Arabic courses for beginners? I'm looking for something to do in the evenings and I figured that would be a good option to learn something too. Any positive experiences would be great to hear about!
Cheers
Old Oct 14th 2013, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arabic language courses Riyadh

Your problem could be that most Arabic instruction is aimed at those who are doing it for religious reasons. In my experience it is VERY difficult to find a competent teacher who can provide Arabic as a Foreign language instruction.

I got a copy of Haywood and Nahmad's Arabic Grammar and worked my way through it with the help of whoever I could persuade to help.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Arabic-G.../dp/085331585X

Last edited by scot47; Oct 14th 2013 at 12:09 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for the tip, I found this course online http://www.purpleacademy.com/ but it's quite expensive and, being a teacher in the kingdom and quite aware of the flaws in the industry, I was hoping to find someone who has experience with doing courses. I have a book and rosetta stone program to do it myself but want to have the spoken element at the forefront. The books all seem to focus on the written aspect.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Diglossia in Arabic means that there is considerable divergenge between formal written Arabic - either Classical or MSA and the spoken varieties. If you are seriouis about studying it, the best approach is through MSA (Modern Standard Arabic)
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:13 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

There is a school by the Filipino markets in Manila square in New Battha. I noticed it the other day so I don't know how good it is or anything about it . They just have a big sign offering Arabic language courses for foreigners . Might be worth a look and there's some good shopping there too.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out next time i'm in batha
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 5:06 am
Just Joined

Jamesdavid is an unknown quantity at this point

There are many online courses available for this.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Tosis is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that it's very difficult to find Arabic classes that are not primarily religious classes and that are well-taught (i.e. for adult education). You will probably learn more from a reputable CD or online course (Rosetta Stone, etc.), plus practicing with some friendly colleagues. That said, if you can find a non-religious face-to-face course, it might be an interesting social experience regardless of whether you learn much Arabic.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Tosis, that is looking like the best option - I found a couple private teachers and I'll stick with my rosetta stone!
Old Oct 25th 2013, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

THE USIS have an excellent course with book and CD. I think it was also available online.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Speedy66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi beco1,

I am a local saudi,, , I can give you tips, cultural advices etc ... If you would like to.
I am not sure of my teaching skills in arabic but i could give it a go!!