Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Schools in AD - admissions

Schools in AD - admissions

Old Jan 15th 2014, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

scotia 7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools in AD - admissions

What is the normal processing period for applications in British schools? I have applied to all the Aldar schools and the brit schools but they don't have any places, very frustrating.

If I'm unable to get a place for my child for the current academic year what can i do? Is home schooling an option in AD until the end of the current school year?

I have applied to international schools also just in case but the response from them is worse
Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in AD - admissions

you need to look at every school policy for admissions they will start applications at different times of year etc... you basicially apply for everyone and then pick what you become available.... you will not necessarily get your first choice or any choice at all etc..... its gotten far far far better than years ago as there was only 2 british schools in auh... .now there are plenty more and more coming next year it will depend on year group etc.... if you cannot get a place, which people have had to wait 2 years to get etc you either stay back in home country or you do home schooling but the moe only recognise K12, if you do a curriculum that the moe dont recognise you cannot get a transfer certificate ie proof that you completed year 1 to continue to year 2 etc etc and then they will put you back a year.

what do you mean applied to british schools and international schools they are surely the same thing... you have public local schools, whereby you need to be able to speak arabic as they have now opened up admissions to expats and then there are the private international schools etc.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i did say its not easy....!

i would wait until next academic year and apply to reach british school, they are building it now so you will get "in" i would say... and its off island and so you could perhaps get cheaper accommodation still more than 100k though.... there are new apartments nearby in baniyas which are "open" now for expats.... normally baniyas area was a local area and not allowed to rent to expats but there are a few new apartments and villas attached to the new baniyas mall which are private and so rentable to expats. normally its all "local" housing areas there and so no houses for expats... only across the main highway in kcb which is private properties for anyone to rent etc etc. there is also hydra and al reef along the main highway rentable to expats close by too.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

You'll find that places come available nearer the time, sometimes. Lots of people lose jobs, move countries etc during the school year. The key thing is to get on the waiting list for every school you can think of (and, as said, there are more schools coming on line all the time).
You'll find much discussion here:
http://www.abudhabiwoman.com/forum/2...ols-nurseries/
Including a post which says that this school still has places in many year-groups:
http://www.abudhabiwoman.com/topic/6...hool-open-day/

You'll also find it worthwhile to keep contacting schools during the year. Some of the admissions staff are truly awful, and more than capable of losing your paperwork - it's worth a regular follow-up.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all.

Does it make any difference if I'm physically there to push things along and meet the admissions staff in person?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scotia 7
Thanks all.

Does it make any difference if I'm physically there to push things along and meet the admissions staff in person?
no not really if they dont have a place to give there is no place to give.. but getting them to remember you is the key.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by archie159
You'll find that places come available nearer the time, sometimes. Lots of people lose jobs, move countries etc during the school year. The key thing is to get on the waiting list for every school you can think of (and, as said, there are more schools coming on line all the time).
You'll find much discussion here:
http://www.abudhabiwoman.com/forum/2...ols-nurseries/
Including a post which says that this school still has places in many year-groups:
http://www.abudhabiwoman.com/topic/6...hool-open-day/

You'll also find it worthwhile to keep contacting schools during the year. Some of the admissions staff are truly awful, and more than capable of losing your paperwork - it's worth a regular follow-up.
yes it does say there have openings in all years etc diyafah is a brand new sch, has been in dxb is worth applying to all british schools to see the situation as i have said before.... and keep chasing them up too as spaces do become available, and you are more likely to get a space if it is vacant after 15th feb because uae sch kids cannot switch schools until new academic year so any place that does come up you jump the q as an outsider, but they do like to give preference to "expats" from other countries ie from GCC etc as they are more able to "fit in".... most schs for older ones dont like to put you new in the last term as most of it is exams etc.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

How likely am I to get a place after the 15th Feb? I know this varies according to schools but will there be free places? Right now they are all full
Old Jan 17th 2014, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How likely am I to get a place after the 15th Feb? I know this varies according to schools but will there be free places? Right now they are all full
who knows... what i am saying is that "if" a place becomes available then uae kids cannot "take" that place, it will only be offered to "overseas" etc. places become available at the beg of january because a few kids move over to ozzie system etc and so they stop after the 1st term etc then after that there isnt really much movement. so i would apply for next year and keep them where they are until a space becomes available.... the issue is that schools can only allocate places when they know they are becoming available, people dont come back from summer hols or move on in that time, so its difficult for them to acurately tell you that x places will be available etc.. some schools are making people pay something to "reserve" their place to continue into next academic year etc. nobody can tell you what to do.... but i i would see if a place becomes available now this term and if one does take it... if not wait until next academic year. if you homeschool and then go into a proper sch you may have issues and they will be kept down a year who knows.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

i have read in places that homeschooling may result in repeating a year which is the worst situation. If I'm unable to secure a place for this session then i will wait for next academic session
Old Jan 18th 2014, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i have read in places that homeschooling may result in repeating a year which is the worst situation. If I'm unable to secure a place for this session then i will wait for next academic session
yes thats what i have told you... best to stay where you are and come for next academic year!