Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Petra?

Anyone been to Petra?

Old May 18th 2013, 7:14 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone been to Petra?

self drive is an awesome idea and we have done it many times, but yes, the Syria problem is now a big problem with lots of refugees, particularly in the north and in Amman itself

incredibly poor, incredibly expensive country, but stunning history.

I'd recommend going as soon as possible, before it all goes tits up.

take your GPS with you - you'll need it, or start crying in despair...
Old May 18th 2013, 7:34 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Sorry, I thought this thread was about necrophiliac bestiality with Blue Peter's old dog.
Old May 18th 2013, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Sorry, I thought this thread was about necrophiliac bestiality with Blue Peter's old dog.
Was Petra before or after Shep?
Old May 18th 2013, 7:41 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Was Petra before or after Shep?
I seem to recall same time, Valerie Singleton, John Noakes and Peter Pervert.

Wasn't Petra Peter's dog?

Amazing the pages on Wiki....

Blue Peter Pets
Old May 18th 2013, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Is this Syria shit spilling into in Jordan an issue yet? Thinking of doing a last minute self drive for kids half term at end of month.
I can ask my friends there if you like. I've not been for a while. At a guess - I would say you will be fine. Just expect a lot more check-points as you move around.

Self-drive is a great idea. I wish I had done that rather than my illegal taxi route.

Last edited by Millhouse; May 18th 2013 at 8:19 am.
Old May 18th 2013, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Shep...became the main Blue Peter dog when Petra died in 1977

Petra pre-dates my watching of Blue Peter
Old May 18th 2013, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Last there in 1971. At that time there was one government Guesthouse. Now there are hotels galore and tourist guides everywhere ready to enrich themselves at your expense.

I suggest that you google a hotel, book and just go. It is not as basic as it was when Charles Doughty first brought it to the attention of travellers from Europe.

If you get a chance go to Mdain Saleh which is a Nabatean site in Saudi Arabia, south of Al-Ula.
yeh i went there like 20 odd years ago too... only few tiny hotels, not like it is now. there are many hotels now right by the entrance.
Old May 18th 2013, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Jordan is a great country and full of lovey people. I always enjoy going there.

You can get a bus to Petra from Amman - it takes something like 4 hours. We arrived at about 10.30am. Checked in, had lunch and went to Petra for a few hours. All rather civilized. We stayed in Petra one night/two days... that is probably enough.

We took horses up into the mountains (not a donkey) and saw petra from above. To be honest, probably better to stay at ground level and take a donkey if you want to get to some of the higher bits.

From Petra we went to Waddi Rum for a night (brilliant place - I recommend the VIP tents) and up the road of a million checkpoints to the Dead Sea via Aqaba. Aqaba is nice, I would have liked to have stayed there longer. We then stayed at the Dead sea (Movenpick) for about 4 days.

We did not do this as an organised tour. Just booked random hotels and illegal taxis... Jordan is an extremely expensive country (for the locals as well as the tourists) and everyone is out to rip you off.

Like HND said - there is a lot to see there, Jerash and the Citadel in Amman are also worth seeing.

Oh, and if you like Russian girls I recommend the Hangover Bar next to the Four Seasons in Amman. Maybe not a place to go when on a family holiday though.
we walked up the mountain and over it to the citadel no donkeys for us, you were actually allowed to climb inside them and on the top, its massive, we have pictures of us standing on the top next to the round bit and we are like ants next to it, dont think you are allowed to do that now.

we did a tour from the top to the bottom of jordan, camel treked into wadi rum, stayed overnight in a bendoin tent, then camel treked further in another nite and then we had jeeps to take us to aqaba, although one of the jeeps broke down in the middle of the sand because of water in the electrics, when we went to the beach at aqaba make sure that you cover up, as being young and very blonde i was surrounded by men getting out of the water at the beach....
Old May 18th 2013, 4:02 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
we walked up the mountain and over it to the citadel no donkeys for us, you were actually allowed to climb inside them and on the top, its massive, we have pictures of us standing on the top next to the round bit and we are like ants next to it, dont think you are allowed to do that now.

we did a tour from the top to the bottom of jordan, camel treked into wadi rum, stayed overnight in a bendoin tent, then camel treked further in another nite and then we had jeeps to take us to aqaba, although one of the jeeps broke down in the middle of the sand because of water in the electrics, when we went to the beach at aqaba make sure that you cover up, as being young and very blonde i was surrounded by men getting out of the water at the beach....
Citadel? or Monastery at Petra? I remember walking up to the monastery, I feel a little guilty about standing on its top. Very thirsty work exploring the monastery and the lesser sites high up on one litre of water. I was there during the first gulf war, it killed tourism, and the hawkers did not bother to go to work, so no drinks to buy when out and about.

Last edited by kimilseung; May 18th 2013 at 4:17 pm.
Old May 18th 2013, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Citadel? or Monastery at Petra? I remember walking up to the monastery, I feel a little guilty about standing on its top. Very thirsty work exploring the monastery and the lesser sites high up on one litre of water. I was there during the first gulf war, it killed tourism, and the hawkers did not bother to go to work, so no drinks to buy when out and about.
no you are right i meant the monastery, and the treasury which is the first one. you were allowed to stand on the top, also climbed up the mountain opposite it too.