Reload this Page >

Saudi Job Offer - advice needed

Saudi Job Offer - advice needed

Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

GB_ME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Saudi Job Offer - advice needed

Hello,

I've recently been offered a teaching position at a university in Riyadh and I'm looking for some advice on a few things before accepting. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

1. The university have sent me a 'Confirmation of possible job hiring' form/contract to sign before they send me through a full contract. This only lists pay and holiday allowance information. Is this normal procedure? Can anyone tell me if I'm legally committing to anything by signing this?

2. The offer letter lists a breakdown of salary. There are a couple of allowances which I'm unsure of....there's a discrepancy allowance, experience allowance and a living allowance which I've no idea what they refer to. In addition to this there is also a housing allowance and transport allowance covered by the university. Can anyone tell me what these allowances are and if I can expect to see them in my take-home pay, or if they'll automatically be deducted?

3. Any other info on Riyadh you could give for a 26 year old male moving to the city would be of great help.

Many thanks!!
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saudi Job Offer - advice needed

See the voluminous info on the Saudi pages at www.eslcafe.com.

Getting a hosuing allowance is NOT a good deal unless they will give you direct assistance in finding a suitable place.

Some oif the allowances you refer to were additions to salary made to compensate for inflation.(a 15% cost of living adjustment). Transport allowance is a flat reate paid monthly supposedely to offset cost of getting around.Some employers will ALSO provide transport to and from work.

The actual contract is typically only signed after arrival in KSA. Saudi Cultural Mission in London typically gives assistance to recruits going to teach at Government Universities (not to private institutions.)

Last edited by scot47; Apr 26th 2013 at 9:59 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

GB_ME is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your reply.

On the document I mentioned housing allowance was listed, but the university are arranging it. Thanks for your advice though.

...will check out eslcafe
Old Apr 26th 2013, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid a setup where they pay you Housing Allowance and then let you look for housing.
Old May 16th 2013, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

nathunt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Avoid a setup where they pay you Housing Allowance and then let you look for housing.
Can you please explain? I'm about to sign a contract in Riyadh where Housing and transportation allowances are paid with the salary. I have to purchase or lease my own car and rent and look for a house (Villa or Flat) to lease.

Your statement got me worried.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...s/confused.gif
Old May 18th 2013, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

Housing is notoriously difficult to find in KSA - so a contract where they pay you an allowance but you have to do the searching/paperwork etc yourself creates for you an exercise in futility, frustration and high stress..... not to mention having to deal with contracts, payments etc

Much better option is to have a contract where they provide you with accom that they have organised.
Old May 18th 2013, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Finding your own place in Riyadh will be a nightmare. As you swim in the shark-infested waters without a flotation device, remember my words !

in KSA all reputable employers provide housing for their Wetsren employees. And transport and health care. And education allowance and ticketing for dependants.
Old May 19th 2013, 5:54 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

Originally Posted by scot47
in KSA all reputable employers...
I think one can find more pinguins in KSA than those your mentioned employers