Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Al Khobar

Anyone in Al Khobar

Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:48 am
Just Joined

vista-man is a jewel in the roughvista-man is a jewel in the roughvista-man is a jewel in the roughvista-man is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone in Al Khobar

Hi all, this is my first post in this forum.
Anyone here reside in Al Khobar?
Am considering an offer to move there later this year and would like to hear any suggestion and tips.
Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2005, 11:40 am
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone in Al Khobar

Originally Posted by vista-man
Hi all, this is my first post in this forum.
Anyone here reside in Al Khobar?
Am considering an offer to move there later this year and would like to hear any suggestion and tips.
Thanks
Biggest tip.....Don't go!!!!! You will probably get a response from someone in Al Khobar who will tell you it's fine there, but personally, I wouldn't go back to ANY city in Saudi Arabia for the foreseeable future. It's NOT safe, and it's NOT worth risking your life. Do a search on Saudi Arabia on this forum and you'll see some previous responses to questions like yours. I lived there (Riyadh) for four years and left about 9 months ago. Just do a bit of research.
Good Luck,
Tami

PS welcome to the forum, it's lots of fun and very informative
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:28 am
Just Joined

vista-man is a jewel in the roughvista-man is a jewel in the roughvista-man is a jewel in the roughvista-man is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Tami,
Had browse this forum and other (ie. expatsinsaudiarabia@yahoo). Read similar thread and yes there are many who advise against coming there but on the other hand as you mentioned there are are those who said that as long as you take proper precaution, you should be fine.

I don't know, obviously the security situation will be a major part in my deliberation whether I take this offer or not. I'm still researching....

Security aside, my other biggest concern will be on how my family (wife and a 7 yrs old son) will be adjusting. What is social live be over there? Is it possible for her to find part time (even voluntary) work to pass her time?

As for school, does the international school (I read that there are at least a British and an American school there) teach Arabic as well? When is the start of the new school year ?

Many more question to follow
Oh thanks for the welcome....

Originally Posted by Tami2
Biggest tip.....Don't go!!!!! You will probably get a response from someone in Al Khobar who will tell you it's fine there, but personally, I wouldn't go back to ANY city in Saudi Arabia for the foreseeable future. It's NOT safe, and it's NOT worth risking your life. Do a search on Saudi Arabia on this forum and you'll see some previous responses to questions like yours. I lived there (Riyadh) for four years and left about 9 months ago. Just do a bit of research.
Good Luck,
Tami

PS welcome to the forum, it's lots of fun and very informative
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:54 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Tami,
Had browse this forum and other (ie. expatsinsaudiarabia@yahoo). Read similar thread and yes there are many who advise against coming there but on the other hand as you mentioned there are are those who said that as long as you take proper precaution, you should be fine.

I don't know, obviously the security situation will be a major part in my deliberation whether I take this offer or not. I'm still researching....

Security aside, my other biggest concern will be on how my family (wife and a 7 yrs old son) will be adjusting. What is social live be over there? Is it possible for her to find part time (even voluntary) work to pass her time?

As for school, does the international school (I read that there are at least a British and an American school there) teach Arabic as well? When is the start of the new school year ?

Many more question to follow
Oh thanks for the welcome....

Honestly, our children were the biggest reason we wanted to get out. We had four children with us the first three years there and then the eldest left for university and we were down to three. Our children attended the American school (AIS-R), and while I have to say the school was EXCELLENT academically and I was very involved in the Parent-Teacher Organization there, I've heard that the population has decreased from 1,800 to 500 over the last couple of years. When we left in June 2004, they were predicting 800 for this year, but I've heard through the grapevine that they are down to about 500, and that's K-12. I've also heard that many of the staff have left and I know that the superintendent is leaving at the end of this year. I have friends who still have children at the British School and they seem fairly happy with it, but they live on Al Hamra, which is where the British School is located, so they don't have to transport the kids out on the streets. That was one of our biggest fears, that the terrorists would attack a school bus enroute to or from school. Then we also had to worry that they would attack the school, because we have to face it; they know where the American and British schools are located and even with the increased security, it's almost impossible to stop a suicide bomber who's decided it's his day to die!

Of course, all of this information is talking about Riyadh. Al Khobar is a different city and a different atmosphere, but saying that, I'm sure you know that Al Khobar was where the compound was stormed and many people were taken hostage. We were told that the terrorists there were strictly looking for Christians and were quizzing people who claimed to be Moslem, to see if they could quote the Qoran, etc. Basically, I don't think anywhere is safe; just look at what happened in Doha this week. I'm moving to Dubai this summer to join my husband there and I'm just praying that nothing happens there.

Like I've said before, I realize that there are dangers anywhere you live. You can be mugged or robbed or raped in any city in the world, the big difference in the Middle East, specifically Saudi Arabia, is that you are THE TARGET as a westerner there. They are specifically targeting YOU! It's not random violence, it's a targeted attack on non-Arabs.

Just a little more information to add to your worries! Sorry!

To answer your questions: I'm sure your wife can find some volunteer work or maybe even paid work if it's on a compound. Working outside the compound is more difficult and not really technically allowed unless she is a nurse or a teacher, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. Socially, everyone is in the same boat, so they tend to like to socialize with the other inmates! We made some wonderful friends while we lived there that we still keep in touch with. That's other expats, by the way, as the natives don't lower themselves to mix with the riff-raff! The schools do offer Arabic classes as an elective and the American School my kids attended required Arabic Culture class once a week or so from 2nd grade up until Middle School. Arabic language is an elective if you want your child to take it, but it's not mandatory.

Good Luck! and feel free to ask if you have other questions.
Tami

Last edited by Tami2; Mar 22nd 2005 at 12:58 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:47 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tami2
Honestly, our children were the biggest reason we wanted to get out. We had four children with us the first three years there and then the eldest left for university and we were down to three. Our children attended the American school (AIS-R), and while I have to say the school was EXCELLENT academically and I was very involved in the Parent-Teacher Organization there, I've heard that the population has decreased from 1,800 to 500 over the last couple of years. When we left in June 2004, they were predicting 800 for this year, but I've heard through the grapevine that they are down to about 500, and that's K-12. I've also heard that many of the staff have left and I know that the superintendent is leaving at the end of this year. I have friends who still have children at the British School and they seem fairly happy with it, but they live on Al Hamra, which is where the British School is located, so they don't have to transport the kids out on the streets. That was one of our biggest fears, that the terrorists would attack a school bus enroute to or from school. Then we also had to worry that they would attack the school, because we have to face it; they know where the American and British schools are located and even with the increased security, it's almost impossible to stop a suicide bomber who's decided it's his day to die!

Of course, all of this information is talking about Riyadh. Al Khobar is a different city and a different atmosphere, but saying that, I'm sure you know that Al Khobar was where the compound was stormed and many people were taken hostage. We were told that the terrorists there were strictly looking for Christians and were quizzing people who claimed to be Moslem, to see if they could quote the Qoran, etc. Basically, I don't think anywhere is safe; just look at what happened in Doha this week. I'm moving to Dubai this summer to join my husband there and I'm just praying that nothing happens there.

Like I've said before, I realize that there are dangers anywhere you live. You can be mugged or robbed or raped in any city in the world, the big difference in the Middle East, specifically Saudi Arabia, is that you are THE TARGET as a westerner there. They are specifically targeting YOU! It's not random violence, it's a targeted attack on non-Arabs.

Just a little more information to add to your worries! Sorry!

To answer your questions: I'm sure your wife can find some volunteer work or maybe even paid work if it's on a compound. Working outside the compound is more difficult and not really technically allowed unless she is a nurse or a teacher, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. Socially, everyone is in the same boat, so they tend to like to socialize with the other inmates! We made some wonderful friends while we lived there that we still keep in touch with. That's other expats, by the way, as the natives don't lower themselves to mix with the riff-raff! The schools do offer Arabic classes as an elective and the American School my kids attended required Arabic Culture class once a week or so from 2nd grade up until Middle School. Arabic language is an elective if you want your child to take it, but it's not mandatory.

Good Luck! and feel free to ask if you have other questions.
Tami
I would have to tend to agree.
Although some people tend to think that the situation is not as bad as Tami says...it pretty much is.
If you wish to know my views then search the forum.

Im due in Jeddah next week, and although its not as bad as Riyadh, its still enough to make me want to quit.

People always thought all attacks were concentrated in Riyadh....Until they stormed the American Consulate in Jeddah the other month and killed a load of staff.

You can feel the oppression as soon as you land at the airport, and it is horrible. If I were you, see if you can come over first for a look-see.

If you fancy life for your family in an open prison, in a country where the people detest you then come on over !!!

If you really want to take the job, move to Bahrain and commute. Even though its only 30km from Saudi, its sooo much better there. I do like Bahrain and Bahraini's are really nice people.

sorry for the negativity....just telling it as it is.
Rgds
JD
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:55 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Although some people tend to think that the situation is not as bad as Tami says...it pretty much is.

Im due in Jeddah next week, and although its not as bad as Riyadh, its still enough to make me want to quit.

People always thought all attacks were concentrated in Riyadh....Until they stormed the American Consulate in Jeddah the other month and killed a load of staff.

You can feel the oppression as soon as you land at the airport, and it is horrible. If I were you, see if you can come over first for a look-see.

If you fancy life for your family in an open prison, in a country where the people detest you then come on over !!!

If you really want to take the job, move to Bahrain and commute. Even though its only 30km from Saudi, its sooo much better there. I do like Bahrain and Bahraini's are really nice people.

Rgds
JD
DITTO I agree with evrything that JD and Tami have said it is a nightmare place
Old Mar 26th 2005, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jammy and Tami,
Someone mention that you can commute from Bahrain. Is this really practical for daily work? I mean I read that the physical distance is not that great, but what about the formalities, customs etc.
It is most likely aan academic question for me, as my prospective employer are providing accommodation and as far as I know, Bahrain is off the card.

Still waiting for info on start of school year. Hope someone can enlighten me.

Thanks and have a good holiday...

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers

Rgds
JD
Old Mar 26th 2005, 1:37 pm
Yes, Master...

Thanks Jammy and Tami,
Someone mention that you can commute from Bahrain. Is this really practical for daily work? I mean I read that the physical distance is not that great, but what about the formalities, customs etc.
It is most likely aan academic question for me, as my prospective employer are providing accommodation and as far as I know, Bahrain is off the card.

Still waiting for info on start of school year. Hope someone can enlighten me.

Thanks and have a good holiday...
Hi again,
Sorry, I forgot to talk about the school timings. The American and British schools (in Riyadh, and I assume in Al Khobar, too) were basically on the same time frame as the ones at home. Our American school usually started around the 24th of August and went until June 15th, with the regular breaks like at home, plus the Islamic holidays. The British School always started a couple of weeks later, in mid September and finished up in early July. The British School has a lot more breaks though, since they do terms as opposed to semesters. Hope this helps. You could also Google something like American School Al Khobar (actually, it might be considered Dahran) or British School Al Khobar (Dahran). The school websites generally include a calendar.
Good Luck,
Tami