Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

For anyone about to land in Bahrain

For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Old Jan 21st 2012, 5:20 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Opportunities on offer are "all in packages" or less than adequate salaries. As I would never take a job in the ME on an all in package and who in their right mind except a TCN would ? then it means we are staying here until safety is compromized and we have to gap it

Have PM'd you
Nothing wrong with an all in package as long it is of sufficient size...
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

I've hearing it's going to go off tomorrow - anyone know where and why?
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

scottrace is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
I've hearing it's going to go off tomorrow - anyone know where and why?
There was one post on UKinBahrain by a bloke saying that he had heard from someone (who was apparently in the know) that starting from tomorrow the opposition would start attacking the security forces to get them back for kidnapping and torturing the women and children of Bahrain or something along those lines.

There hasnt been anything else mentioned on anything I have read but everyone seems to be taking this comment as read that it all goes pear shaped tomorrow and have started panic buying.

Not sure how much truth is in it - am sure someone with better connections than me will advise if the rumour is true??
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

No need to panic buy Trace, relax and head to the Rugby club as normal.

The intent is to move the unrest from the villages.

The first well documented move is to attempt to deny access to the villages by the security forces. Interesting move because if there is no unrest in the village then why would the security forces bother to enter. If the only grouping of people is by the entrance of the village then are the security forces going to provoke an incident or leave them be ? Only time will tell. Though Jan 24th is touted as the start day, some disloyals I was talking to today were saying they want to get it started today. Patience is not a virtue held by some disloyals

Longer term move will be to take the unrest away from the villages altogether and Al Farooq is again being talked about by the disloyals however its a huge step from blocking some entrance roads into Diraz to being able to mobilize a 100,000 disloyals to march on Al Farooq.

As said the interesting thing will be whether the security forces forcibly remove the guys blocking access

Either way please leave me some milk in Al Osra
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Dont worry I wasnt about to panic buy - not in my nature - although must get to the wine store in the next couple of days just in case!!!

And I wouldnt buy milk (or much else) in Al Osra so you are ok there - too flippin expensive - my local Midway is much more my style and there was plenty of everything in there today!

Will await the next few days/weeks with interest.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I would only apply mild interest Trace, You wont notice anything different tomorrow I suspect

Booze shop will continue to deliver booze even if trouble errupts so you wont go dry. Rugby club & Dilmun club will serve throughout. Am sure the Brit club will do the same

Keep an eye on the FCO travel advice web page. They show no restrictions (the lowest of 4 alert states) whatsover so its business as usual
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
I would only apply mild interest Trace, You wont notice anything different tomorrow I suspect

Booze shop will continue to deliver booze even if trouble errupts so you wont go dry. Rugby club & Dilmun club will serve throughout. Am sure the Brit club will do the same

Keep an eye on the FCO travel advice web page. They show no restrictions (the lowest of 4 alert states) whatsover so its business as usual
I did notice!!! Have now truly arrived in Bahrain - on way back from Toddler Group along Budaiya just near Diraz and a bunch of yobs had chucked rubbish and wood on the road and were launching rocks at the cars. Was a bit worried at first as had baby in the car but am now just bloody angry!! Human rights my backside - any sympathy I may have had has just flown right out the window!!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:45 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottrace
I did notice!!! Have now truly arrived in Bahrain - on way back from Toddler Group along Budaiya just near Diraz and a bunch of yobs had chucked rubbish and wood on the road and were launching rocks at the cars. Was a bit worried at first as had baby in the car but am now just bloody angry!! Human rights my backside - any sympathy I may have had has just flown right out the window!!
there you go! i used to tell my wife not to stop regardless if something happened and if necessary just run the ****ers over..
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by norsk
there you go! i used to tell my wife not to stop regardless if something happened and if necessary just run the ****ers over..
Good advice Norsk - need a bigger car methinks - am sure someone was selling a Range Rover - that should do the job

(is that you a teeny bit pleased I have now ecountered the dark side????)
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Good advice Norsk - need a bigger car methinks - am sure someone was selling a Range Rover - that should do the job

Lmao, actually the opposite Trace. It used to amuse me greatly that I had seen something unpleasant on the way home/shopping etc whilst you were telling me all was well, all was quiet and gas free etc and that I must be imagining it

You have now encountered the real problem. What is acceptable as a single status adult is not so acceptable when you have kids in the car. My Mrs said she had, had enough when she had to skirt around 3 burning tyre road blocks on her way to the nursery near Al Osra. That was just before I had the shotgun pointed at my head and the point at which I had, had enough

Of course I didnt see anyone throwing rocks this morning so you must have made it up and all is actually quiet on the island
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

And you are right Trace, what you need is a Range Rover quick quick. Come over to the Green zone tonight for a test drive.

Full service history, all genuine parts including LandRover screenwash and one of only 2 on the island in the very best colour

Slip a wad of crispy 20's into my hand and drive away safe in the knowledge your wee ones are protected. It will easily ride over the high kerbs on Bud highway so you can get onto the opposite carriageway should you encounter disloyals.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Lol!! I never thought you were making it all up! Was just reiterating what fantastic advice we were given about where to live (and we listened!)

Yeh maybe I did imagine it this morning - everywhere else seems quiet! My teenage son will no doubt be disappointed he missed all the action although he has told me with great relish about the lockdown procedures in place at school - boys!!

Hmmm - is that the car with the blacked out windows that caused the problem with the gun in the first place?? Not so sure I want that one - thanks all the same. I was at the bit with the railings in the middle so would have needed a tank to get through there - heard there are some of those stacking up downtown so perhaps I will go and speak nicely and borrow one! That would sort the problem out - a mad, angry Pompey lass with a tank!!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Hmmm - is that the car with the blacked out windows that caused the problem with the gun in the first place?? Not so sure I want that one - thanks all the same. I was at the bit with the railings in the middle so would have needed a tank to get through there - heard there are some of those stacking up downtown so perhaps I will go and speak nicely and borrow one! That would sort the problem out - a mad, angry Pompey lass with a tank!!
Nah I had the shotgun pointed at the Fortuner with the very darkish windows

The Rangey has a classy light tint that highlights the beauty of the lady driver
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

crazyirish is an unknown quantity at this point

tracy which compound are you in or what is close to you for having a look at,wife now down to 4 weeks before she is out there and starting to look for digs,trying to do as much looking before she goes out so we are not wasting time.
we have bought a police landrover to take with us for the road blocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazyirish
tracy which compound are you in or what is close to you for having a look at,wife now down to 4 weeks before she is out there and starting to look for digs,trying to do as much looking before she goes out so we are not wasting time.
we have bought a police landrover to take with us for the road blocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
An ex-R.U.C one? Good choice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.