Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

For anyone about to land in Bahrain

For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Here is a quick note to those folks about to land in Bahrain for the first time, if there is any.

During the last 2 weeks I have been swanning around a little more than usual showing off my newborn and generally enjoying a holiday in country. During that time I have come across two newbie families who have FUBAR'd by listening to housing agents who have located them into villas where now they are living, what to them seems like nightmares.

One family has local nutcases ranting outside their villa wall at all times of the night plus experienced at relatively close hand flash bangs + rubber bullets and one family have had the villa full of tear gas twice in the last week. This is hardly a shock given where they have moved to.

If you are about to come then please ask for a little advice on a potential area before signing on the agents dotted line as there may be something that the agent has forgot to mention. Its funny how they do that.

If its the Yanbu of Bahrain then at least you go in forewarned and you will only have yourself to blame if you go ahed. Feel free to PM me as I wont comment on compounds directly on the bored just in case big Brother has stopped watching Mark and is now watching paranoid me.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice
Default Re: For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Very good advice at present, I have very close contacts in real estate here and you can get a beautiful 4/5 bed villa for the same price as my duplex 2 bed apartment....why?

Location, location, location.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Yep agents are still placing people in Quarrayah, next to Bani Jamrah and Jidd ******* Haffs

They really are down there with recruitment consultants when it comes to being slime bags who are only interested in making a buck.

Would hate to see anyone else moving to a shit hole and then living a nightmare.

This weekend saw a lot of strange shit going on around Saar I tell you

Trying to balance my karma for all the bad things I have said and think
Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

Thanks guys for the up to the minute info. I knew there was a reason I regularly read these forums. Every night for the past 12 months just to get a "feel" for the place.

We postponed our arrival earlier this year due to the civil unrest but would appear to be on track for November/December.

I guess demand for villas in the "green zones" is high but still negotiable. We're going to need access to the causeway so any recommendations for areas are welcome also need to access St. Christopher's or British School

Any info on relocation services eg Bahrain Angels - are they worthwhile? Can they get a good or better deal on housing? Are they legit?

Congrats! Tock & Mrs Tock on your new arrival.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Just about all rents in Bahrain are negotiable but some less so than others. All compounds have vacancies regardles of monthly rental charges. Those near the villages are well down on 12 months ago due to guys leaving and replacements not arriving.

Some compounds in the nicer areas have dropped less so and some are now not negotiable at the reduced rates being asked because they know that there will be a steady stream of new punters relocating from the areas near the idiots.

Unless you are going to get off the plane and go straight to work leaving your family in arrivals at Bahrain International I wouldnt bother with the likes of Bahrain angels. They are only any use for a niche market and everybody else will get on fine without their services and fees.

Dont stress about being near schools etc. Bahrain is very small and an extra 10 minute commute for the kids could mean living in a really nice and safe compound away from the mither
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

scottrace is an unknown quantity at this point

And get your applications into the schools now!

Or you will end up like us panicking about not having a school place when we arrive in 6 weeks!

Good luck.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:29 pm
Professional expat

Bartowel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, it is true that there are some funky evening activities going on around the island, but any reputable RE company should make sure you avoid areas where things get a little fruity - although I must say that having driven through two 'disturbances' with riot police attendance in the last few days, I never felt threatened or anxious - expats are not the targets here. And I still move about with wife and kids, any time of day and night.

Regarding the Angels here on the island. I have different opinion to some. I have used their services for renting a villa and general setting up. I found them useful, professional and well worth the fees charged ( which are very reasonable compared to the time, effort and confusion encountered when trying to set up utilities etc in the country - and I am a Gulf veteran of 8 years!). There are plenty of agents out there, but I really felt that the Angels went above and beyond - even lending me a few items for the kids until I settled into the villa.

Last edited by Bartowel; Sep 12th 2011 at 7:47 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

Thanks for that Bartowel. Your description of the Angels confirms what I had been thinking about them. I am by no means a veteran relocatee and I'm going to need all the help I can get, if only to save my sanity.

If the small things are made easy then the more complicated things will be less difficult.

I'll run the idea by my husband. He'll need assistance to "nail down" accommodation in Bahrain as he's alway so busy when at work in Saudi. At least if the homework is done before I arrive - it should simplify matters.

Cheers
Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:12 pm
Professional expat

Glad to help Work Widow. I really do think the Angels do a great job, and do seem to offer that bit extra in terms of prompt and knowledgeable communication and getting things done. I would certainly recommend them to anyone coming to the island.

I hope the move works out to be smooth and hassle- free. Am sure you will have a great time.

All the best, Bartowel

Last edited by Bartowel; Sep 14th 2011 at 5:57 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

[QUOTE=Bartowel;9616464]Hi, it is true that there are some funky evening activities going on around the island, but any reputable RE company should make sure you avoid areas where things get a little fruity - although I must say that having driven through two 'disturbances' with riot police attendance in the last few days, I never felt threatened or anxious - expats are not the targets here. And I still move about with wife and kids, any time of day and night.

Regarding this point Bartowel, what a load of crap!!!

You may have been an expat in "nice" places before (Bermuda/ Dubai) etc, and I am not sure how long you have been in Bahrain, but for you to be giving out this information in Bahrain, that it is fine for expats at present and that you can drive anywhere, and any place at anytime with your family day or night is beyond me!!

Yes, there are good areas and bad areas, and no I am not being over dramatic, before you even start, but go down to Sitra NOW I have just got back!!

It is mayhem, and trust me, the shiite in that area tonight would love a bit of exposure by being a "little fruity" with you, and if they wont have a go at you, wait until a man in a mask points a shotgun at you ( the police ) yes and all because I wanted to turn around in my car!!

" Never felt threatened or anxious" my arse, I nearly shit a brick tonight !!!
Wrong time, wrong place!!!

I was in that area for a meeting that went on a lot longer than should have, but please do not be complacent, that all areas are fine day/night!!

Protests over the weekend:-
- On Friday, 16 September at 1630 hours, an authorized, potentially violent demonstration is planned in the vicinity of Tubli. This area (indicated in yellow on the maps below) will be off-limits to all our Embassy personnel from 1500 hours on 16 September until 0600 hours on 17 September. U.K. citizens are strongly encouraged to avoid the area as well.
- On Saturday, 17 September at 1700 hours, an authorized demonstration is planned near Al-Henaniya in Riffa.

Last edited by markinbahrain; Sep 15th 2011 at 11:22 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 4:41 am
Professional expat

Hey there Markinbahrain.

Thanks for the post and your opinion. I still stand by what I say. I have also been through several 'demonstrations' here, and have not felt threatened or targeted at all. I guess I may just be a bit smarter as to where I drive, as of course, I do not go looking for the demonstrations, and avoid the areas likely to be flash points. These are usually listed on the US embassy site, which you may want to look at as it seems you get into the thick of it all.

Regarding my past experiences, I did not realize you were aware of my movemnts around the world. You are right, I have lived in nice places. In fact I tend to only move to places I like and that are 'nice'. It would be foolish to purposely move somewhere where one would feel uncomfortable or unhappy. Saying this, I am happy here in Bahrain, and think it is like pretty much anywhere else in the world - you take the good, bad and ugly of any place you live. I have been an expat for 15 odd years, and tend to find that if folks are unhappy in a place they move on. If you are as fearful for your safety as your posting would indicate, then it may be time to move on.

I also did not realize the forum had rules for longevity in a location before one would be able to give an opinion. Thanks for pointing this out. So what is the required amount of time in a place before I am permitted to offer an opinion? 6 months, a year... Please do inform.

Honestly, come on Markinbahrain. Take people's opinions for what they Are - opinions. If you disagree or have other experiences, please share, but do not revert to vitriolic anger and profanity to disagree. Surely all this does is mirror those out demonstrating that you seem to cause you so many problems.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bartowel
Hey there Markinbahrain.

Thanks for the post and your opinion. I still stand by what I say. I have also been through several 'demonstrations' here, and have not felt threatened or targeted at all. I guess I may just be a bit smarter as to where I drive, as of course, I do not go looking for the demonstrations, and avoid the areas likely to be flash points. These are usually listed on the US embassy site, which you may want to look at as it seems you get into the thick of it all.

Regarding my past experiences, I did not realize you were aware of my movemnts around the world. You are right, I have lived in nice places. In fact I tend to only move to places I like and that are 'nice'. It would be foolish to purposely move somewhere where one would feel uncomfortable or unhappy. Saying this, I am happy here in Bahrain, and think it is like pretty much anywhere else in the world - you take the good, bad and ugly of any place you live. I have been an expat for 15 odd years, and tend to find that if folks are unhappy in a place they move on. If you are as fearful for your safety as your posting would indicate, then it may be time to move on.

I also did not realize the forum had rules for longevity in a location before one would be able to give an opinion. Thanks for pointing this out. So what is the required amount of time in a place before I am permitted to offer an opinion? 6 months, a year... Please do inform.

Honestly, come on Markinbahrain. Take people's opinions for what they Are - opinions. If you disagree or have other experiences, please share, but do not revert to vitriolic anger and profanity to disagree. Surely all this does is mirror those out demonstrating that you seem to cause you so many problems.
You are absolutely right apologies as I mentioned in my post...I had just got back from the rubber bullets and all, therefore was a bit peeved !! It was your opinion, and I respect that.
Once again apologies.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 12:27 pm
Professional expat

Hey Mark,

I think we both have known the ups and downs of Bahrain, and wider world, and I do appreciate your opinion and experiences. I just hope that I do not encounter what you have been through with my young kids - it sounds pretty scary stuff. Hopefully you will continue to be safe and well, and it seems as if you may be getting some practice in on doing U- turns in the car!

Keep well and safe,

Cheers
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bartowel, which part of the island do you live on ?

We experienced one of those naughty shia gas cylinder explosion-jobbies last night; close enough that it rattled the upstairs windows.

Laugh, I nearly peed myself though my outlaws are over and they failed to see any amusement in it.

Couldnt find any evidence this morning when looking around so who knows how close it was.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 7:14 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Bartowel, which part of the island do you live on ?

We experienced one of those naughty shia gas cylinder explosion-jobbies last night; close enough that it rattled the upstairs windows.

Laugh, I nearly peed myself though my outlaws are over and they failed to see any amusement in it.

Couldnt find any evidence this morning when looking around so who knows how close it was.
Green zone getting a little less green recently tock?

It's a shame, but like I said a few months ago things are nowhere near finished in Bahrain. And who knows what they may do once they get desperate enough for attention from the outside world. Taking out a few western expats would get their cause back on primetime Sky News wouldn't it..? I sincerely hope it doesn't happen though..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.