Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anybody Currently Teaching in a British School, UAE.

Anybody Currently Teaching in a British School, UAE.

Old Jul 1st 2022, 11:23 am
Just Joined

msal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anybody Currently Teaching in a British School, UAE.

Hi Good Afternoon,

First post/Thread on here, so Hello All.

Current Situation

Currently active as a Hod in a core subject with leadership responsibilities teaching in a Top/Good UK school.

Experience

10+ years experience in UK only.

Degree in subject taught from a good UK university, plus PGCE.

I am wondering if their is anyone on this forum that can help myself answer a few questions.

Ideally someone who is currently working/teaching out in the Uae or has just finished their that can help shed some light on this with any current up to date info.

Specifically:- (Abu Dhabi and Dubai)

Salaries/Packages

What can one achieve as a HoD in a Tier 1 British school, in a core subject in Abu Dhabi or Dubai.

Any and all up to date information will be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to pm me.

Look Forward to the responses.

Thanks

msal
Old Jul 2nd 2022, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

clergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody Currently Teaching in a British School, UAE.

Always proofread...

Old Jul 2nd 2022, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi Afternoon,

“clergy”

You are right one should always proof read before posting, mistake on my part.

Any information that you could share would be useful.

Thanks

msal
Old Jul 2nd 2022, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

clergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond reputeclergy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not in your specific area of the teaching game, but I was in the UAE for twenty years. You're looking at a top-end salary of about 20,000AED a month, I think.
Don't imagine saving anything in your first couple of years as you'll be setting yourself up and working out the finances. It took us 3 years to figure out the savings potential.
Happy to be told by others that I'm talking codswallop
Best of luck.
Old Jul 12th 2022, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

To christmasoopma

I can not send pm so I will have to post on here.

Why was my reply deleted ? And marked as duplicated/spam ?

I am still seeking information, and am seeking responses from the relevant parties ?

Thanks

msal
Old Jul 13th 2022, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Depends on the school and years of experience for salary.

Some provide housing (type depending on your family situation), some pay an allowance towards housing.
They're always interviewing and looking for people so if you're applying to the big corporate school owners as well as directly to the individual ones and non-profits etc, you'll probably find something.

If you know someone out here who teaches already, you're going to the top of the pile.
They like to hire locally from other schools if possible, because the drop out of new joiners can be high, especially the younger crowd who've never been before.

Workload and expectations are high. It's not just a piss up (well, it is, if you want it to be but you know).
Old Jul 13th 2022, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi Scamp,

Thank you for the response, was hoping ideally for some current numbers to see if the move is worth while for us.

For context

People

5 (myself, my partner and 3 children).

(All three go to top schools, which are all free from fees).

Two in primary and one just started secondary.

Housing

(I will try and say this without it sounding like I am showing off, which is not the intention).

(Just want you to understand our current position).

We live in a 5 bed Executive Detach family home in a affluent desirable area.

My experience is listed above.

You can add to that NPQML.

(please take a look)

They mobilisation and movement has to be worth it for anyone, including me.

You of course want to be remunerated accordingly

The last thing anyone wants is un-realistic exceptions, or trying to negotiate and looking like a Lemmon. 🤔🤣

We are quite fortunate to have travelled to these cities and stayed/holidayed although as a tourist, so are not going into this completely blind.

Last edited by msal; Jul 13th 2022 at 2:54 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2022, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Their is a huge disparity with salaries, nothing is published like it is here in the UK.

I am looking to apply at the (Teir 1) British schools.

This is one of the reasons I have made contact with good people like yourself to gain some clarity.

Any further help, figures/packages will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 13th 2022, 2:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msal
To christmasoopma

I can not send pm so I will have to post on here.

Why was my reply deleted ? And marked as duplicated/spam ?
It wasn't marked as spam. We ask that you don't ask your questions more than once please, or bump your thread up (site rule 13), it's not fair on other members to have their questions pushed further down the page.

Thx.
Old Jul 13th 2022, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scamp,

Thank you for the response, was hoping ideally for some current numbers to see if the move is worth while for us.

For context

People

5 (myself, my partner and 3 children).

(All three go to top schools, which are all free from fees).

Two in primary and one just started secondary.

Housing

(I will try and say this without it sounding like I am showing off, which is not the intention).

(Just want you to understand our current position).

We live in a 5 bed Executive Detach family home in a affluent desirable area.
You're not going to replicate that in the UAE. I'd think only heads of school have their own villa. Teachers seem to be offered flats. You have three children, which is also a bit of a challenge as any school place they offer your children means it's taken from a fee-paying student. If your children are in excellent schools (can't tell if it's state or private) you'd need to think long and hard before uprooting them for the UAE. There are good schools but those are heavily oversubscribed.

Is there a reason why you want to teach in the UAE?
Old Jul 14th 2022, 6:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Depends what your partner does on accommodation - I know of bog standard teachers in nice villas but both have been teachers.

Likely to get a 2-bed apartment though if just you teaching, it's not the school's problem if you have more kids than bedrooms if that's what is provided - would have to be explored with each school you talk to.

Usual family benefits etc, but couldn't guide you on monthly amounts - you need to speak to the schools and apply for things. THe only benefit to be mindful of is how many school fees they pay for, some limit at 2 and then the 3rd / 4th are a cost to you, sometimes shared. Some provide for more obviously.
Old Jul 18th 2022, 9:52 am
Just Joined

DXBtoDOH

Many thanks for the comments and advice above it is much appreciated, My children go to state schools.

You are right, it is definitely something for us as a family to think about long and hard, we would need the info below to help inform/strengthen that decision.

Scamp

Yes agreed,I would need to speak to the schools.

That I am assuming will have to wait until Aug/September when they re-open.

I am not sure if they would disclose any information prior to an interview/job offer if successful other than confirming that they are highly “competitive”.

Last edited by msal; Jul 18th 2022 at 10:12 am.
Old Jul 18th 2022, 10:01 am
Just Joined

To the best of your knowledge, Please could you kindly provide the answers below.

What is your typical salary range in AED :-

(July 2022)

Classroom teacher ?

Hod ?

Senior leadership position ?

Assistant principal ?

What is your typical Allowance range in AED :-

(July 2022)

Housing ?

Medical ?

Flights ?

If their is anything else worth noting please do let me know.

I look forward to response’s. ☺️

Last edited by msal; Jul 18th 2022 at 10:10 am.
Old Jul 18th 2022, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

To the best of your knowledge, Please could you kindly provide the answers below.

What is your typical salary range in AED :-

(July 2022)

Classroom teacher ?

Hod ?

Senior leadership position ?

Assistant principal ?

What is your typical Allowance range in AED :-

(July 2022)

Housing ?

Medical ?

Flights ?

If their is anything else worth noting please do let me know.

I look forward to response’s. ☺️
Depends on experience, the school and company it is part of.
Old Jul 18th 2022, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

My experience is listed above. 👀

I really would love some numbers for the questions asked above.

Just to give you and idea and understanding to what I have looked at and would potentially consider.

Schools

Abu Dhabi

BSAK

Cranleigh

Dubai

Dubai College
Jess
Hartland
DBSEH
DESC
DESS

Look forward to the response’s. ☺️

Last edited by msal; Jul 18th 2022 at 3:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.