Reload this Page >

Anxious and Nervous about moving to Dubai

Anxious and Nervous about moving to Dubai

Old May 13th 2015, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

ashwinahuja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anxious and Nervous about moving to Dubai

Hey all,

After having lived in London for over 15 years, I am moving to Dubai in 2 weeks. London, even with its many downsides, is a fantastic city and leaving this place, my family, friends and pretty much my entire life is proving to be way harder than I imagined. I keep reminding myself that the move to Dubai is a good one - better lifestyle, better pay, sunshine - but its getting harder for me to comprehend this situation as the days fly by and my move date comes closer. Anxiety and nervousness about a big move is natural and as I turn 37, I keep thinking I am starting my life from scratch and keep having several doubts. If anyone was in a similar situation would love to hear from you and understand how your experience was and the transition period.

Cheers,
A
Old May 14th 2015, 5:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Anxious and Nervous about moving to Dubai

Originally Posted by ashwinahuja
Hey all,

After having lived in London for over 15 years, I am moving to Dubai in 2 weeks. London, even with its many downsides, is a fantastic city and leaving this place, my family, friends and pretty much my entire life is proving to be way harder than I imagined. I keep reminding myself that the move to Dubai is a good one - better lifestyle, better pay, sunshine - but its getting harder for me to comprehend this situation as the days fly by and my move date comes closer. Anxiety and nervousness about a big move is natural and as I turn 37, I keep thinking I am starting my life from scratch and keep having several doubts. If anyone was in a similar situation would love to hear from you and understand how your experience was and the transition period.

Cheers,
A
When you arrive just get stuck in to as much as possible, join clubs / sports teams / societies of any interest that you have.

Get out and meet people, make new friends.

You'll probably be surprised at the amount of people you may know who are out here already.

It's tough, it's not easy. I hated being on my own here for the first few months, it was quite lonely and miserable at times....but you just get up and get on with it.

At 37, you must have a back bone and be able to suck it up. Missing friends and family is fine - we all do, some more than others, but you stay in London and see all those people every so often or you can come here, earn some tax free cash money, have fun, get some sun, work hard, play hard and not sit in London in 18months time thinking 'what if'.

Do it, don't look back. Keep in touch with Skype. Make regular trips home for the first 12 months (3-4-5 times a year if you want). But most of all, don't come unless you're 100% committed to it and to giving it a go - if you come half-arsed, you may as well not bother.
Old May 14th 2015, 7:27 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

^^ what he said!
Besides in all honesty once you start working, there are days when you wont even remember what was it like to have any free time on your hands i.e. depending on the kind of job, usually its a fast paced life here once you get into it. So dont worry too much about it
Old May 14th 2015, 9:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
^^ what he said!
Besides in all honesty once you start working, there are days when you wont even remember what was it like to have any free time on your hands i.e. depending on the kind of job, usually its a fast paced life here once you get into it. So dont worry too much about it
Oh shit yeah. Before you know it you'll have been here 6 months, then a year.

Remember - everyone who isn't a local has had to move here giving up family, friends, a life somewhere else. They've all done it. All know how you feel and the vast majority know it's a hassle to get sorted and settled so will be willing to help.
Old May 14th 2015, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks all, what you've said makes complete sense. Got to dive right in and enjoy the ride, going to be a different one but definitely an exciting one. Cheers again!
Old May 14th 2015, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

...and London is only one 6-7 hour flight away.

Depending how homesick you get - and how much spare cash you have - you could fly back home for a weekend now and again without too much trouble.
Old May 14th 2015, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mogs
...and London is only one 6-7 hour flight away.

Depending how homesick you get - and how much spare cash you have - you could fly back home for a weekend now and again without too much trouble.
Good point this.

I can get to my Mum in exactly 12 hours door to door.
Old May 14th 2015, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

The_Black_Panther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ashwinahuja
Hey all,

Cheers,
A
You are not alone. I am making that move too. Same age and I am looking forward to it. New challenge, new set of friends, new goals the entire lot. I on the other hand have family and load's of friends there so it might be a bit easier.

And like someone mentioned, uk is only 6/7 hr flight. I am kenyan so home is only a 4/5 hr flight so I get to see my mum more often now.

All the best
Old May 14th 2015, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone....feel a lot better about move now. Bring on DXB!
Old May 15th 2015, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold

Good luck. However you should have made your due diligence before moving to DXB:

- Better pay? Which is the difference that you are getting in London? You will find out Dubai is not that cheap. In many ways it is more expensive than London and you need other stuff (for instance, silly thing, you don't have Amazon in UAE - whether you can get thing shipped is a different story -; in Dubai you are likely to need a car...). It depends on your personal situation and choices.

- Better lifestyle? What is that? That is an intangible. Very weak reason. Lifestyle is a very personal choice, not something out of a glossy magazine. Be sure you are moving for a "lifestyle" that fits you well. So people is happy going out every night in London; others going to the beach every weekend in Dubai; others living in a farm in Yorkshire. All is fine... just where you better fit.

- Sunshine? That is undoubtedly true. Sun is life. But be aware sun (weather) in Dubai is extreme for many months of the year. How important is for you? You could get sun in Malaga a good part of the year a 2-hour flight from London is that is crucial for you.
Old May 16th 2015, 7:59 am
Just Joined

joedolce is an unknown quantity at this point

The point about sunshine is a good one. It's not going to be nice Southern Europe sun where you sit outside a taverna soaking up the rays. For a lot of the year you're going to be rushing from AC to AC because it's ridiculously hot