offshore banking

Old May 6th 2015, 9:24 am
Just Joined

speedy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default offshore banking

Hello folks

I live in Doha and need to setup an offshore bank account. Any recommendation for offshore banking options? and is it possible to do it online/phone or must be in person?

Thanks
Old May 11th 2015, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

LewisShaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: offshore banking

Do you still need help?
Old May 14th 2015, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LewisShaw
Do you still need help?
Yes I do, please!
Old May 14th 2015, 7:30 am
Just Joined

LewisShaw is an unknown quantity at this point

What have you tried so far? And when you say offshore account do you mean just an easily accessible account where you are in Doha as I'm sure Standard Chartered are quite big in Qatar?
Or do you mean an offshore account for when you move back to the UK ie based in either Jersey, Guersey or the Isle of Man?
Who do you bank with at the moment because both Lloyds and Barclays offer international accounts so you can use dual currency, as do Santander.
Also is there Amy specific help that you need as in is it that you want to know what documentation is required? With offshore accounts you may sometimes need to produce extra documents so they can verify that there's no money laundering. I'd try booking an appointment here first if I were you https://www.sc.com/qa/personal-banking/accounts-deposits/current-account/en/
Hope that helps and if you want to ask anymore questions then please do x
Old May 17th 2015, 6:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LewisShaw
What have you tried so far? And when you say offshore account do you mean just an easily accessible account where you are in Doha as I'm sure Standard Chartered are quite big in Qatar?
Or do you mean an offshore account for when you move back to the UK ie based in either Jersey, Guersey or the Isle of Man?
Who do you bank with at the moment because both Lloyds and Barclays offer international accounts so you can use dual currency, as do Santander.
Also is there Amy specific help that you need as in is it that you want to know what documentation is required? With offshore accounts you may sometimes need to produce extra documents so they can verify that there's no money laundering. I'd try booking an appointment here first if I were you https://www.sc.com/qa/personal-banki...nt-account/en/
Hope that helps and if you want to ask anymore questions then please do x
Thanks again for your help.
For me the most important things are the ease of accessibility and security. I don't care about interest rate. The main purpose for seeking offshore account is because I am traveling a lot and not staying in one place for many years. I don't want to change the account frequently. Please keep in mind I am not a UK or EU citizen.

fee free to PM me with any info.

regards
Old May 17th 2015, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

I would have suggested HSBC Jersey but they are becoming ridiculously petty about certifying identity and physical address documents.
Old May 17th 2015, 8:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

When people refer to offshore accounts they generally mean in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man when they are Brits.

HSBC won't love you unless you keep GBP 60k in an account. Lloyds TSB has good service for their Isle of Man accounts with low charges but are pain to set up. Standard Bank (also Isle of Man) is easier to set up but a little more costly to run.

I'd also be wary of brand new posters who want to be contacted directly rather than giving information on the board. That always looks like salespeople hunting for customers/victims rather than someone being generally helpful.