Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Another UAE tax question...

Another UAE tax question...

Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:50 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another UAE tax question...

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I've heard this but..... have you ever heard of anyone getting stung for it? Also, if you are British.... I.e you look and sound British, are they likely to even consider that you might be a non resident?

I can't see it personally. The UK just doesn't think like that.
here
Old Jan 11th 2017, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
Once you leave the UK and take up residency outwith the EU, you are no longer entitled to free NHS treatment (with a few exceptions, like a medical emergency during a visit to the UK). You may be asked to pay all costs and also a premium on top (50%, I read somewhere).
You missed my point. I was not suggesting she leaves the UK - I was suggesting she stays resident there till after she has had the baby.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 10:17 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Her free-income is "earned" in the UK. It should therefore be taxed in the UK.

You cannot have your carrot-cake and eat it.

Correct. No matter if someone is UK resident for tax purposes or not, income arising in the UK is subject to UK income tax.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 10:20 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'd be astounded if pregnancy wasn't considered a 'pre-existing condition'.

Fortunately my medical covers that stuff, loads don't.
Under current DHA rules all pre-existing conditions must be covered. The employer is legally obliged to insure the employee but not any dependents. If a personal plan has to be arranged (as if the employer doesn't the legal responsibility is with the sponsor) maternity has to be included for anyone on a Dubai visa.

As all non-corporate plans are underwritten at outset costs will reflect expected claims.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for the input. That's really helpful. I'm clearer now on our options. Only thing left to check is the conditions on our health insurance, and I am waiting to see what the exact cover type is.

I totally agree about what some people have said about it being bad form to take maternity leave and then quit at the end of it. That's not our plan though. My wife is very lucky in having a great employer (who she's been with many years) who offer 6 months maternity pay and then 6 more months off with basic benefits but no pay. The main reason for her delaying coming would be so she could keep her job open and then return to them in 12 months - either in the UK or transferring to Dubai.

We may find that life in the UAE is not at all what we expect. I'm a traditional simple low-maintenance Brit and I know I'll miss many things about the UK (even the weather). Having the option of a job to go back to (for one of us at least) means we keep options open.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Notnewtome is an unknown quantity at this point

In my experience, health insurance schemes specifically exclude anything to do with pregnancy, childbirth etc, but you should check obviously.

On the taxation side....5 simple words - take advice from an accountant.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 6:34 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Notnewtome
In my experience, health insurance schemes specifically exclude anything to do with pregnancy, childbirth etc, but you should check obviously.

On the taxation side....5 simple words - take advice from an accountant.
By law Dubai and AD plans have to include maternity cover.

Note also that many UK accountants have nothing to do with expats so are not familiar with the rules.