Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Another IT person heading to the desert...

Another IT person heading to the desert...

Old Oct 4th 2004, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Dirk Diggler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another IT person heading to the desert...

Hi people,

Kind of following on from this thread...

I have been applying for IT jobs in Dubai from the UK now for about a week. I have sent my CV to 4 or 5 job adverts and maybe 10 or so agencies, and in short I have received no real replies; only automated responses.

I will be travelling to Dubai for 14 days on the 20th of this month, and have included in my job applications that I will be available for any interviews at this time. Going from what I have read on this site, I guess the next step would be to give them a follow up phone call once I am out there and try and arrange a meeting / interview.

Just a few questions that hopefully you guys will be able to help me with:

While I am there, apart from the classifieds in the paper, where else is a good place to look for work?

Is it considered bad etiquette to e-mail CVs to companies / agencies that haven't advertised? I guess it constitutes spamming really.

Does a 'snail mail' letter have more effect than an e-mail? Obviously working in IT I tend to use e-mail for everything, but they are easy to ignore (and delete!) aren't they?

Finally, one last favour If you hear of any Dubai based positions where seven years of network design, installation and support experience, including extensive security knowledge, will be of benefit then please let me know.

Thanks!

DD.
Old Oct 4th 2004, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

MCA27 will become famous soon enoughMCA27 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Another IT person heading to the desert...

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
Hi people,

Kind of following on from this thread...

I have been applying for IT jobs in Dubai from the UK now for about a week. I have sent my CV to 4 or 5 job adverts and maybe 10 or so agencies, and in short I have received no real replies; only automated responses.

I will be travelling to Dubai for 14 days on the 20th of this month, and have included in my job applications that I will be available for any interviews at this time. Going from what I have read on this site, I guess the next step would be to give them a follow up phone call once I am out there and try and arrange a meeting / interview.

Just a few questions that hopefully you guys will be able to help me with:

While I am there, apart from the classifieds in the paper, where else is a good place to look for work?

Is it considered bad etiquette to e-mail CVs to companies / agencies that haven't advertised? I guess it constitutes spamming really.

Does a 'snail mail' letter have more effect than an e-mail? Obviously working in IT I tend to use e-mail for everything, but they are easy to ignore (and delete!) aren't they?

Finally, one last favour If you hear of any Dubai based positions where seven years of network design, installation and support experience, including extensive security knowledge, will be of benefit then please let me know.

Thanks!

DD.
Hi DD, so you made the career change into IT.....I would have thought that your old career would be more lucrative but then I suppose it does have a certain shelf life

Regarding your agency experience. I am an IT recruiter in UK/Germany and in Europe we are a lot more pro active and responsive.....so don't hold your hopes with regards to getting an answer.

Send your CV direct to companies - speculatively - as I have and the response has been good. At the very least they will keep your details on file....at best you will get a meeting and impress them......

Beware, when you are in Dubai it will be the Holy month of Ramadan so it may be a little quieter than usual. Local companies will tend to shut up shop after 1pm, so try and arrange morning meetings.

If I were you, pick out 4/5 good agencies which have real jobs to meet, but try to aim to get more meetings with employers. I get the feeling a lot of the recruitment companies are just one man bands...... so yopur chances would be limited with them anyway....

Good luck
Martin