Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Another Great Article on Dubai

Another Great Article on Dubai

Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:01 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another Great Article on Dubai

http://www.7days.ae/local-news/no-stopping-roads.html

It is discussing the new highways to be built straight through that council estate called Emirates Hills.

Some of my favorite lines from the 'Gov't Representative'

'Al Tayer said last night that his staff would be happy to meet the Residents Steering Committee (HOA) to explain the scheme, but would not ask for their opinions or change the plans because it’s “none of their business”.'

“We are not in America or Europe where approval for projects can take up to five years because everyone has to be consulted,” he told 7DAYS last night.
---That's why the UAE is still a third world country...

The authority had consulted developer Emaar, as well as Nakheel and Dubai Holdings, before going ahead with the scheme, he said. “We only deal with the developers who own the land and I’m sure they informed their residents. It’s not our job to ask for every resident’s permission,” Al Tayer added.---I really like this one, it's for all those people who say they 'own' a property in Dubai...this proves it once again, you are all renting property in some way or another, you don't actually own anything and have no rights.

'Al Tayer said the notion that all residents opposed the project is not true, because it will only affect the properties on the road.'---Those people are just SOL!

Like I said, I think this gives a much better view of 'Do-Buy'!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:12 am
W10

Default Re: Another Great Article on Dubai

That's brilliant...

Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Another PR coup for the municipality. However, thinking a little bit deeper, this end of Dubai has a major traffic problem that is only going to get worse. There is a need to put in more capacity somewhere and because of the level of development it is going to be close to somebody's back yard.

The village I lived in in the UK was in desperate need of a bypass. Everybody who lived anywhere near the place agreed about that but they couldn't agree where it should go because nobody wanted it anywhere near their house. Hence the road that was originally proposed 30 YEARS ago still hasn't been started but there have been so many planning enquiries I have lost count. Meanwhile driving from one end of the village to the other (a distance of about 2km) can still take 30 minutes at peak times and in another 30 years it will probably take an hour. The way Dubai does things is a long way from perfect but I think I prefer it.

Will all the Springs residents who are complaining about the new road now stop complaining about traffic congestion around Interchange 5?
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:56 pm
W10

Traffic congestion isn't that big a problem around I5 (from the Springs side) since they opened Interchange 4 1/2. Residents now can use I5, the Greens interchange and Interchange 4 1/2.

I'd take issue that the area needs that road. There is literally NO traffic in the Springs, Meadows area at the moment.

You can bet your arse that the poor people who 'bought' villas near the road will not get compensated for the huge devaluation they will experience after having a whacking great highway built next door.

Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:07 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Another PR coup for the municipality. However, thinking a little bit deeper, this end of Dubai has a major traffic problem that is only going to get worse. There is a need to put in more capacity somewhere and because of the level of development it is going to be close to somebody's back yard.

The village I lived in in the UK was in desperate need of a bypass. Everybody who lived anywhere near the place agreed about that but they couldn't agree where it should go because nobody wanted it anywhere near their house. Hence the road that was originally proposed 30 YEARS ago still hasn't been started but there have been so many planning enquiries I have lost count. Meanwhile driving from one end of the village to the other (a distance of about 2km) can still take 30 minutes at peak times and in another 30 years it will probably take an hour. The way Dubai does things is a long way from perfect but I think I prefer it.

Will all the Springs residents who are complaining about the new road now stop complaining about traffic congestion around Interchange 5?
Took the words right out of my mouth - thats exactly what I said when I read the initial announcement that the road was to be built
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:20 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Isn't it great how they try and compare Dubai to advanced cities such as London NYC Etc Etc when they want to justify the unjust rent increases and yet choose to say the opposite when they want to build these roads...still, I guess people should do their homework before they invest in Dubai, at the end of the day, they only own the concrete not the land and there are no proper laws protecting people in these situations. That's a risk you take when you invest in a third world country, this ain't Europe sorry.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:57 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
You can bet your arse that the poor people who 'bought' villas near the road will not get compensated for the huge devaluation they will experience after having a whacking great highway built next door.
I don't think its gonna matter where anyone lives, theres either going to be traffic or airplanes close by in 2010. The houses will still be worth more than what was paid for them and most are bought using housing allowances so the residents will be quids in whatever happens.

The Ranches will depreciate a bit once Dubai land is finished.....how many million visitors/cars a year???? unless of course you rent out as in florida.

Such is life...easy come...easy go....

Disgusted
The Springs
Old Feb 14th 2006, 9:47 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Another PR coup for the municipality. However, thinking a little bit deeper, this end of Dubai has a major traffic problem that is only going to get worse. There is a need to put in more capacity somewhere
Basic common sense, though, would surely have dictated that the need for extra capacity was obvious before the first foundation was laid for Emirates Hills. It does beg the question of why the highway wasn't built with the rest of the development (and we could also ask why the proper IC5 wasn't built at the same time). Perhaps they were worried that they wouldn't be able to sell the villas that were obviously close to where the road was going to be?

I'm just glad that we'll be out of the Springs long before this happens. The only vaguely positive outcome for residents is that rents ought to drop due to the constant noise and disruption that will accompany the construction... the stories from people who live along Beach Road have been bad enough, and that's nothing compared to what building an elevated six-lane highway will entail.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:28 pm
W10

According to Al Tayer today in ET.

Emaar knew about the road plan TWO YEARS GO

LOLOLOLOLOLOL