Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Could Dubai host the 2016 Games?

View Poll Results: Could Dubai host the 2016 Games?
Never
41.67%
Maybe
16.67%
Yes
41.67%
I have no opinion
0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Could Dubai host the 2016 Games?

Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:57 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Lightbulb Could Dubai host the 2016 Games?

Just being doing some reserach and came across this interesting article on the 2016 Summer Olympic games and guess what, our favourite city is on the list as a potential bidder. Who ever knew they were serious?!

Look here

What do you think about Dubai's chances of ever hosting Olympics?
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:01 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could Dubai host the 2016 Games?

Originally Posted by Face81
Just being doing some reserach and came across this interesting article on the 2016 Summer Olympic games and guess what, our favourite city is on the list as a potential bidder. Who ever knew they were serious?!

Look here

What do you think about Dubai's chances of ever hosting Olympics?
ZERO
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:04 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TA5
ZERO
lol! come on, lets have some reasons....

this could be a fun debate. Go for it!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:11 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
ZERO
They have more than enough spare cash to grease a few palms (pun intended)...
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:10 am
W10

They'd need some serious cash to persuade them to move to Olympics to October or November.

Less than zero chance.

And if you thought the Greeks cut it fine - imagine the UAE.

Of course - nothing is ever late in the UAE...they just open it even if it's not even close to being finished.

'We don't see the problem, the stadium and facilities were open on time'

(as the opening ceremony takes place with thousands of labourers simultaneously trying to put the roof on the stadium.

Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:34 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by W10
They'd need some serious cash to persuade them to move to Olympics to October or November.
I think they have been periodically moved to that time of year... I think it has already been done in the past when Oz had to host the games as the Northern Hemisphere's summer meant it would be too cold for the athletes in Oz, so it is possible to move it, in terms of timing.

I do however agree on the facilities, though. I am sure they would build multi billion dollar facilities with state of the art equipment, etc, but would they get it done in time?
Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai is perfectly capable of hosting The Olympics (maybe not the Winter Olympics though...). 2012 might be a bit optimistic but by 2016 it could easily be done. The place has excellent transport links to the rest of the world, loads of hotels and you could pretty much guarantee good weather with a spring or autumn date. By the time Sports City is finished most of the required facilities will already exist. It could hardly be any worse than the efforts of Atlanta
Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:11 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Dubai is perfectly capable of hosting The Olympics (maybe not the Winter Olympics though...). 2012 might be a bit optimistic but by 2016 it could easily be done. The place has excellent transport links to the rest of the world, loads of hotels and you could pretty much guarantee good weather with a spring or autumn date. By the time Sports City is finished most of the required facilities will already exist. It could hardly be any worse than the efforts of Atlanta
Seriously

I mean...they gave an upcoming games to london of all places...so apparently anything is possible!
Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

....and I'm not convinced London will do any better than Atlanta, given the constraints on accommodation and ground transportation to name only two problems.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:24 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
....and I'm not convinced London will do any better than Atlanta, given the constraints on accommodation and ground transportation to name only two problems.
That was my point. they don't learn from past mistakes...although, given the choice between london and dubai...i'd take london anyday!

...I'd expect to see the asian games here a few times before the IOC will even consider it as a potential venue.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:52 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by TA5
That was my point. they don't learn from past mistakes...although, given the choice between london and dubai...i'd take london anyday!

...I'd expect to see the asian games here a few times before the IOC will even consider it as a potential venue.
i dont think the asian games qualify as a criteria for the right to host the summer olympics....

I mean they have awarded the 06' edition of the games to Doha of all places. I mean, they chose Doha!!

And apparently the 2010 Asian Games are going to New Delhi! So if cities such as the ones mentioned above, including Atlanta, which have nothing and I mean nothing on Dubai, can host mega sporting events, then Dubai most certainly can. Maybe not 2016, but 2020 or beyond is a definite possibility. Dubai Sports City wil be up and running and so will the mono rail. There will be heaps of new hotels, so accommodation wont be an issue and March/April or Oct/Nov are perfect for sporting events, weather wise.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:49 pm
W10

And I guess that by 2016 they'll have entire residential developments with no-one living in them, so they could use them as Olympic villages.

On a serious note - Dubai will have to improve public transport by 10,000% in the next five years to even have the remotest chance of hosting the Olympics.

IOC: "So...90% of the facilities will all be in Dubai Sports City and along the Emirates Road"

Dubai: "Yes"

IOC: "Isn't that the most congested road in the emirate with day long traffic jams"

Dubai: "Yes"

IOC: "So how will you address this problem?"

Dubai: "Well...we have a monorail being built which runs along the SZR, and we'll just make the Emirates Road into a 137 lane highway."

IOC: "And how many events are on the SZR?"

Dubai: "Well...is labourer dodgeball an Olympic sport yet?"

IOC: "No"

Dubai: "Well, none then"

IOC: "I see, anything else you have planned"

Dubai: "Yes...we will implement dedicated bus lanes for our buses which run like clockwork to a small number of destinations and are available at least twice an hour"

IOC: "Hmmmmm"

Dubai: "Well...I say bus lane...but it's usually full of Landcruisers, Hummers and Armadas."

IOC: "Can't the police enforce it as a bus lane?"

Dubai: *uncontrollable laughter* "Well why would they want to do that?"

IOC: "Hmmmmmm - can I have my bribe now"

Dubai: "Certainly.....Is $20m enough?"

Old Feb 13th 2006, 2:43 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
And I guess that by 2016 they'll have entire residential developments with no-one living in them, so they could use them as Olympic villages.

On a serious note - Dubai will have to improve public transport by 10,000% in the next five years to even have the remotest chance of hosting the Olympics.

Dubai: "Certainly.....Is $20m enough?"

PMSL very funny, tried to K but still can't Made me laugh though
Old Feb 13th 2006, 2:50 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Since they dont have enough hotels in Doha to accomodate ppl attending Asian Games they have booked all the hotels in Bahrain, also loads and loads of compounds have been rented by the Government for all of 2006 only to be used for the 13 days of the Asian Games (if they ever happen here that is)

This place is a complete disaster. I simply cannot imagine how the hell it will be ready by December. Its practically impossible. Will have to wait and see wot happens

If it does happen I will believe in miracles :scared:
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:00 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malteser
Since they dont have enough hotels in Doha to accomodate ppl attending Asian Games they have booked all the hotels in Bahrain, also loads and loads of compounds have been rented by the Government for all of 2006 only to be used for the 13 days of the Asian Games (if they ever happen here that is)

This place is a complete disaster. I simply cannot imagine how the hell it will be ready by December. Its practically impossible. Will have to wait and see wot happens

If it does happen I will believe in miracles :scared:

Same with F1 in Bahrain, half the people stay here in Dubai and fly over for the day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.