Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

ALEC L.L.C. Does anyone know this contractor?

ALEC L.L.C. Does anyone know this contractor?

Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Mark Pep is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile ALEC L.L.C. Does anyone know this contractor?

Hi all, is anyone familiar with this company?
They are a South African based contractor who have been in the Middle East since 1999.
I am a Commercial Manager looking to move out to the Middle East and I have been recommended to this company (Via an agent) But I am after some information from a less bias source!

Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ALEC L.L.C. Does anyone know this contractor?

yeh they are building the shangrila in ad
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

they do lots in Dubai also, around the marina and Tecom.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Just completed a detailed assessment of Alec MEP as I am working with L'OR. Their MEP business looks a decent business and on first impressions they seem very professional. only thing that seems to let them down is their distinct lack of HSE directives but that seems the norm for the ME.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

andyjock will become famous soon enoughandyjock will become famous soon enough

They are working on the Al Raha Project and they seem to come across as a decent enough contractor
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:56 am
Just Joined

PaddyUlsterman is an unknown quantity at this point

They're doing quite abit in AD. A mates son is joining up with them. Only issue may be that they don't provide accomadation as part of the package, which, in AD, can be a major problem!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

oh yes VERY BIG PROBLEM accommodation in AD. A friend of mine was telling me that there are new houses just being finished off behind her, on kca, and the landlord was telling her that he is going to be asking for 400k for them, she told him thats not right etc, but i am sure that a company will come along and pay that, its the 'little' people that cant unless 'something from upon high' puts a stop to it, did hear that when Citiscape was on, people were fighting over certain 'spots' and coming to blows, along came a Sheikh and told them "that is not how we behaviour" and closed them down, I am sure they reopened 10 mins later and carried on!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
oh yes VERY BIG PROBLEM accommodation in AD. A friend of mine was telling me that there are new houses just being finished off behind her, on kca, and the landlord was telling her that he is going to be asking for 400k for them, she told him thats not right etc, but i am sure that a company will come along and pay that, its the 'little' people that cant unless 'something from upon high' puts a stop to it, did hear that when Citiscape was on, people were fighting over certain 'spots' and coming to blows, along came a Sheikh and told them "that is not how we behaviour" and closed them down, I am sure they reopened 10 mins later and carried on!
in cityscape People were paying high $ just to get in the Que for Aldar sales...

I hope and pray that this housing situation falls on its arse.

Where is behind KCA? where do you mean?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Thank you for all the replies, very interesting.
They give Accommodation allowance, but don't actually provide the accommodation.
I presume the lack of Accommodation and therefore high cost is what you are referring to?

The other issue for me is that they do a 6 day week.
Is that the norm?
I know people out there working for British contractors and they do 5 days.

Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

andyjock will become famous soon enoughandyjock will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mark Pep
Thank you for all the replies, very interesting.
They give Accommodation allowance, but don't actually provide the accommodation.
I presume the lack of Accommodation and therefore high cost is what you are referring to?

The other issue for me is that they do a 6 day week.
Is that the norm?
I know people out there working for British contractors and they do 5 days.

Thanks
Laing O'Rourke on ARB do 6 day weeks every other week I think, but Carillion on the ARB project are now doing 5 day weeks. Thankfully I work for a consultancy and only do 5 day weeks!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

aa i mean she lives in kca and there is a house being built behind her house in kca and she was talking to the landlord of the said being built house in kca so the rents for this new soon to be finished house in kca will be going for 400k,
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

PaddyUlsterman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andyjock
Laing O'Rourke on ARB do 6 day weeks every other week I think, but Carillion on the ARB project are now doing 5 day weeks. Thankfully I work for a consultancy and only do 5 day weeks!
I work for Laing's, yeap, it's a one day weekend every other week which is a bit of a shock to the system.

Re : Accomodation, prices going through the roof because high demand and low supply, alot of people are going to be working in AD but living in Dubai.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi PaddyUlsterman, I'll PM you. Hope you don't mind.

Thanks,

Markpep
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

supraman is an unknown quantity at this point

I work for contractor in AD too and work every alternate Saturday.

PADDYULSTERMAN, fellow paddyulsterman here. from Donegal/Derry area. what part you from?