Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

designer, wanting to move to dubai i nead advice please

designer, wanting to move to dubai i nead advice please

Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

daniel daniel is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile designer, wanting to move to dubai i nead advice please

hi all i hope you can put me in the wright direction, I am a junior designer based in london and i am looking to move to dubai to work in moving image web and film.

1st. I am aware there is work in this field but i am not sure how to make the move do i research and contact from home or go for the big plunge and see what happens.

2nd. whats the deal with accommodation, is there cheap accommodation available ie back packers and youth hostels.

3rd. is getting a bar job easy if i cant get any design work

ikno i am askinfg alot but i will be very thank full for your help
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:14 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: designer, wanting to move to dubai i nead advice please

Originally Posted by daniel daniel
hi all i hope you can put me in the wright direction, I am a junior designer based in london and i am looking to move to dubai to work in moving image web and film.

1st. I am aware there is work in this field but i am not sure how to make the move do i research and contact from home or go for the big plunge and see what happens.

2nd. whats the deal with accommodation, is there cheap accommodation available ie back packers and youth hostels.

3rd. is getting a bar job easy if i cant get any design work

ikno i am askinfg alot but i will be very thank full for your help
Evening mate,

there's loads of job opportunities in Dubai, a lot of them much better paid than the UK, and they are always on the lookout for talent and people who can think for themselves (most companies I know prefer then english, europes etc over the indians as the indians work away and do what you ask them but never expand on that, think for themselves and usually need direction), so thats in your favour,

but by your post you sound young, so maybe not with much experience?

I'd say you need some sort of degree of decent qualification and a decent amount of experience, plus realistically you;d need to come over here for a week and have interviews, getting them isn't always a simple thing to do, and its an expensive place to stay, no hostels as far as I know so staying for a week wouldn't be cheap, nor would your flight,

accommodation is the most expensive thing here, you need to pay a year in advance and it can be a lot, your company might give you the cash but you;d probably have to find a house to share with 3 or 4 others, which if you are a young single lad would be ideal, there's plenty to do here, loads of bars and clubs, and lasses from all around the globe....

You need a visa to work here so you can't just turn up and get a bar job, this isn;t australia, its a lot more comples, old fashioned and a bit of a pain in the arse mate,

You need to do more research, get youtrself a good cv sorted and find what sort of comapnies you are looking to work for and fire it off to them and see how you get on,

good luck mate.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

daniel daniel is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you,

that was grate advice i have been doing my research and housing side seems to to be the big problem and funding myself whilst looking for work.

I have a good degree and have worked at top advertising and design agencies in london for a year a and fill i can make a better name for my self in dubai.
Are there many young profesionals / creatives pursuing a similar career

dan
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:01 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

thank you,

that was grate advice i have been doing my research and housing side seems to to be the big problem and funding myself whilst looking for work.

I have a good degree and have worked at top advertising and design agencies in london for a year a and fill i can make a better name for my self in dubai.

dan
you want to check your spelling before you send emails to companies as well mate, its a bit bad....

So you have one years experience? Hmmm, I'd say it may be a bit tough for you.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

thank you,

dan
was your degree in English?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:27 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
was your degree in English?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

He's not exactly the worst offender though, is he?

At leas't h'es fairl'y frugal with hi's apostrophe's.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
He's not exactly the worst offender though, is he?

At leas't h'es fairl'y frugal with hi's apostrophe's.

who so you mean?

spill the beans'
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:58 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Think jvr has become the punctuation polis for the day......
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Think jvr has become the punctuation polis for the day......
You've missed my point - I hold back from pointing the finger about bad use of punctuation, spelling or the English language. I was merely pointing out that many people get things wrong, as I thought it unfair that they were jumping on this guy, as if they were blameless.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:13 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
You've missed my point - I hold back from pointing the finger about bad use of punctuation, spelling or the English language. I was merely pointing out that many people get things wrong, as I thought it unfair that they were jumping on this guy, as if they were blameless.
the whole apostrophe thing is a mystery to me anyway...I am never sure when to put them...
is it...Matt's house...or Matts house...or Matts' house...and why
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MataHari
the whole apostrophe thing is a mystery to me anyway...I am never sure when to put them...
is it...Matt's house...or Matts house...or Matts' house...and why
whose' matt??
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:46 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

whose' matt??
They appear to be a couple, based on one of MH's punctuations....
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:50 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

whose' matt??
Originally Posted by TGFKASE
They appear to be a couple, based on one of MH's punctuations....
oh go ahead, make fun of me...bullies'
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

MataHari

http://mark.tranchant.co.uk/2003/01/apostrophe-usage is an excellant source

Im sure the guys are joshing you

Thanks

Last edited by UKCityGent; Sep 18th 2008 at 6:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.