Reload this Page >

Advise on Where best to live in UAE/Dubai

Advise on Where best to live in UAE/Dubai

Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Muggybonehead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advise on Where best to live in UAE/Dubai

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
are they giving you any allowance towards school fees? you will need two cars here as well.
Hi Blue Cat,

School costs have not been discussed yet, but obviously they will need to make some contribution for it to work financially.
Re cars, They are providing 1x family car and I will have access to vehicle from company fleet to get to/fro work.

I've read on other sites/threads cost of living in Dubai was not more expensive than in the UK/Europe, with some items being more expensive and others being cheaper so overall it worked out to be about the same.
Is this not the case? as from what you and others have said on this thread I beginning to think otherwise.

Regards,
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Muggybonehead
Hi Blue Cat,

School costs have not been discussed yet, but obviously they will need to make some contribution for it to work financially.
Re cars, They are providing 1x family car and I will have access to vehicle from company fleet to get to/fro work.

I've read on other sites/threads cost of living in Dubai was not more expensive than in the UK/Europe, with some items being more expensive and others being cheaper so overall it worked out to be about the same.
Is this not the case? as from what you and others have said on this thread I beginning to think otherwise.

Regards,
Dubai is not as cheap as it was & with the £ sinking obviously its worse, but prices are starting to come down here, the lifestyle is musch better than the UK. Weighing up the pros & cons & cutting out all the Dubai politics & general bull**** its still better than the UK
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:56 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Blue Cat,

Regards,

this sounds like you are going on the company bus!!! LOL why would they give you a car for your family, 170k housing then pay you 13k a month. To me it is a no goer honestly. Are they prepared to pay for your furniture to be shipped over? what industry is your position? people are losing jobs left right and centre here.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:13 am
Just Joined

this sounds like you are going on the company bus!!! LOL why would they give you a car for your family, 170k housing then pay you 13k a month. To me it is a no goer honestly. Are they prepared to pay for your furniture to be shipped over? what industry is your position? people are losing jobs left right and centre here.
Hi Blue Cat,

Not quite the company bus, would be use of a car, but as long as I can leave the wife and kids with transport not bothered how I get to/fro work.
Is 13k a month a low income compared to average wage?
Re Furniture, agreement is they provided fully furnished accommodation, we would then rent out our house in the UK rather than sell up so would not need to ship over any furniture.
The company is an Airline, with good financial backing so hopefully looks stable, can't be any worse than here in UK.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:15 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Blue Cat,

Not quite the company bus, would be use of a car, but as long as I can leave the wife and kids with transport not bothered how I get to/fro work.
Re Furniture, agreement is they provided fully furnished accommodation, we would then rent out our house in the UK rather than sell up so would not need to ship over any furniture.
The company is an Airline, with good financial backing so hopefully looks stable, can't be any worse than here in UK.

it isn't that new airline is it? can't remember the name? they will provide you with a villa - fully furnished? so why are they saying 170k - you might get a fully furnished one in Sharjah for that.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:16 am
Concierge

Hi Blue Cat,

if you lose your job here and have debts you may well end up in Jail, read all the threads regarding debt and redunancy etc.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pauldxb
Dubai is not as cheap as it was & with the £ sinking obviously its worse, but prices are starting to come down here, the lifestyle is musch better than the UK. Weighing up the pros & cons & cutting out all the Dubai politics & general bull**** its still better than the UK
Hi Paul,

Yes everyone I've spoken to say the lifestyle is great especially for families, this is my dilemma, I want to give the best to my family and DXB could give them that, however if I cant afford to live there, then it will have an adverse effect?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:18 am
Concierge

Hi Paul,

Yes everyone I've spoken to say the lifestyle is great especially for families, this is my dilemma, I want to give the best to my family and DXB could give them that, however if I cant afford to live there, then it will have an adverse effect?

yes but you previously said they company will provide you with a furnished villa so it is their worry not yours. Still couldn't manage on 13k a month never mind with three kids.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:29 am
Just Joined

it isn't that new airline is it? can't remember the name? they will provide you with a villa - fully furnished? so why are they saying 170k - you might get a fully furnished one in Sharjah for that.
They were going to source accommodation in , however I've not heard any good reviews of this area, so I asked what they were budgeting for so I could look for rentals myself, thats were 170k came from. It was only a rough guide, I guess if its not enough they will have to up it. How much they would be willing to up it by I don't know!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Hi Paul,

Sorry to insist... do your research. I think 13K AED per month is a big NO with 3 kids, even if you get house and car. Life is great in Dubai if you have the right package (as it is everywhere else when you have big $$$).

I think you will need a MINIMUM of 20K per month plus housing, car and others.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Its very low for a family
Think twice before you jump
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by klaus3974
Sorry to insist... do your research. I think 13K AED per month is a big NO with 3 kids, even if you get house and car. Life is great in Dubai if you have the right package (as it is everywhere else when you have big $$$).

I think you will need a MINIMUM of 20K per month plus housing, car and others.
Hi Klaus,

If the company provided school fees as well as accomodation and car would you still say a monthly salary of 13,000AED ($3,500) is not enough?
If I had this salary and package(accomodation/car paid for) in the UK I would be a rich man every month!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

I know... it is really hard to believe. On the positive side, prices, rent, etc are going down... but we do not know how much they will go.

There was a thread by IndieG with her budget item by item. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Cost_of_living_in_UAE. It was useful for us when we decided to move here.

It also depends on your background... lot of people live with this money, but not the western expatriates.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:58 pm
Concierge

Hi Klaus,

If the company provided school fees as well as accomodation and car would you still say a monthly salary of 13,000AED ($3,500) is not enough?
If I had this salary and package(accomodation/car paid for) in the UK I would be a rich man every month!

yeah but you are not going to be in the UK

this is what you should be looking at (depending on what the position is) and if is Fly Dubai then forget it, rumour mill is they are going bust before they even took off.

Housing - 170k for unfurnished in Mirdif area
School Fees
Car
Private Medical Insurance for family
Annual return Airfares
Salary - tricky one as I don't know what you do but I am suspecting aircraft engineering as I know they are being paid on the low side but I would guess in the region of 20 - 30 k.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:07 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for your replies all very helpful.

A couple of other questions which you might be able to answer, if you dont mind...

The package I've been offered is accommodation and vehicle provided and a monthly salary of approx. 13,000 AED. I'm trying to negotiate a contribution to school fees as I have 3 children, 1 will start school in Sept, the other 2 won't for another 2 years yet though.

Sorry, but without 100% of cover of school fee costs, don't even think about it. Over and above the fees, you will have additional costs; after school, books, trips, activities etc.

Q: Will I be able to live a normal, comfort life in DXB with this package?You will be able to live, perhap not Dubai normal, but live.

Q: How much would Water/Electricity cost on a 3 bed Villa and are there any
other utilities/service bills I would need to consider/pay? Really depends on the villa/apartment you have. Minimum 600 AED per month for a villa,a nd anywhere upi to and over 2'000 Aed per month.

Thanks again,
A lot depends on what you have now and what you expect. Dubai IS NOT CHEAP! Expectations are also high, so your kids will expect things that other kids see as normal. It can be a great life, just make sure you can afford to live a great life.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.