Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice on things to consider in Qatar please.

Advice on things to consider in Qatar please.

Old May 10th 2012, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

GazzaMac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on things to consider in Qatar please.

Hi everyone, hope you are all well!! I could of started with the "is my package good enough?" but I feel this is a personal choice and after reading other posts, I find my offer more than acceptable for me compared to my current deal here in the rainy U.K! I am a 30yr old man complete with wife and 3 children aged 4,13,17. I have been offered a deal in Doha with a waste management company which after doing the maths, has become quite appealing to me. I have 10 years experience and I am also studying a BA(hons) degree in Operations and Project Management. Anyway, I need to kick start my career and after discussing it with the wife, have agreed this would be a fantastic opportunity. Although this has excited me greatly, I am not looking through "rose coloured specs!!" I would like other things to consider before I agree to the terms and accept the position. I am aware it's hot, sandy, mundane, boring, etc But mainly for me, I come home from work and spend time at home with the family, so the outside barely interests me all that much. I have considered financial aspects, but until the final offer comes in, all I can go on is what he verbally offered me. Of course I will ensure this is all in writing before committing to anything, but to get a little heads up, what are the minimum allowances you should want for schooling/car/living/housing etc. He did say £5000 for each childs schooling, which equates to roughly QR29000 and from what I have read, seems quite reasonable, so I expect the rest to be in line with this. At least if I know before hand, I can counter offer without delay. What is the healthcare like out there? It is as important as the money for me, as our child did encounter heart problems as a baby.

I know I am asking a wee bit, but better to be safe then sorry.

Gary

Last edited by GazzaMac; May 10th 2012 at 5:39 pm.
Old May 10th 2012, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

james1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on things to consider in Qatar please.

I'm not an expert on healthcare, but they are wanting Qatar to be a first rate country at most things. I think that the healthcare will be good, but there will be better qualified people than me who could provide advice.

Most important thing is to get proper insurance in place, not the cheap option offered by your employer.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:23 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Watch the school costs and availability also. We are currently looking at the same stuff and found that the cost of schools up to Y13 are about double what you have and Uni costs are twice that. Then there is actually getting a place in the schools. We are reliant on my future employers getting me place as all the schools we contacted (8 of them) were full for the next school year and we would have to apply and wait in a que for spaces to become available.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:29 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

we're at a similar point ourselves - the only thing I'd mention on first looking at what you've been offered is that the schooling may not be enough - you've got one almost at university age - have a look on the Qatari university websites, the fees are enormous - likewise on the school websites - fees are high, make sure you've got enough included... also from my searching (just last week intact), schools seem to be a nightmare to get into - out of 8 schools I contacted (we have 4 children), only one school could offer a space for one of our children.... you may need to do a bit more research and see if the company you're going to work for can pull a few strings/has an arrangement with any schools etc etc...

it seems to be that Qatar is exploding at an enormous rate, but they haven't yet got themselves up to speed with things like schooling - for every one person they offer employment to there is usually a spouse plus 2/3/4 kids which need to be catered for.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:30 am

ahh, husband just responded too!!

hence the double entry of p18pps
!!!

good minds think alike honey!
Old May 11th 2012, 5:24 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Other things to watch out for:

Will you be paid the End of Service Gratuity as per Qatar Labour Law (3 weeks pay per year worked)?

Your annual leave figure will lkely be callendar (not working) days.

You have no employment rights and if you get terminated by your Sponsor, you and your family will have to leave Qatar immediately, with no return for 2 years.

You'll have to be working full-time out here until April 2014 to qualify as non-resident. Otherwise you pay UK Income Tax and NI on everything you earn, including all allowances.

Your package will have to be at least QR40k/m all-in to make it worthwhile, given you have 3 kids needing educated.

Factor in private health care and your personal pension into the equation.

You won't own a property out here, so factor in your rent as being dead money. Allow say QR10k/m minimum for a family villa in a reasonable area.

Consider leaving the wife and kids in the UK untiul you settle out here. Then they can join you if viable.

My experience anyway.

[J]
Old May 11th 2012, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi and thanks for the responses thus far. Their was a mention of yearly bonuses as well as monthly bonuses upto 25% of the salary. The QR40k/m package minimum, is that plus or inclusive of salary? Excuse my naivety but I want to be sure it is worth the while as I obviously want to save some pennies for the future. My wife and I discussed my travelling away alone and the tribe following and it is of course a viable option should needs be.

Thanks for the pointers so far guys
Old May 11th 2012, 7:46 pm

if it's not in writing yet, I'd make sure they assume that it is in addition... we certainly are with ours!
Old May 11th 2012, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

I will make sure they provide me with an itemised breakdown of the deal. This would avoid crossed wires and make sure we are reading from the same page . In fairness, if the package isn't suitable, I won't accept it, but the package seems very honest so far. Time will tell, I should receive further details in writing this coming week

Also, is that 40k inclusive of school fees or exclusive?

Ta.

Last edited by GazzaMac; May 11th 2012 at 8:16 pm.
Old May 11th 2012, 9:57 pm

I'd say exclusive again. same with vehicle, accommodation, healthcare, bonus etc

In our experience thus far, assume to be incredibly greedy and ask for over and above what you'd accept, keep your cards close to your chest and don't be afraid to negotiate.... don't be too "british" !!!

the very best of luck to you.
Old May 12th 2012, 5:54 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I would add is, you say you've discussed this with your wife, but have you talked to your kids about it?

I was born and raised in Sydney, Australia until I was 8 and a half. I remember the first I heard that we were moving to the UK was when I tried to sign up to some school sports teams for the next year and my mum and dad refused to sign it. It was only then they admitted we were moving to the UK.

I resented them for nearly a decade. It was only when I moved away to university that I really started to get close to them again.

You say your kids are 4, 13, and 17. The four year old should be fine, but the 13 and 17 year olds will have a group of deep rooted friend. The older one might even have a boyfriend/girlfriend.

Also, you say you're fine with it being "hot, sandy, mundane, boring, etc" and that "for me, I come home from work and spend time at home with the family, so the outside barely interests me all that much."

What about your kids? Are they happy with that lifestyle? Things get very expensive when you start talking about activities for kids. Things like video games and movies are a lot more expensive than in the UK, even without the VAT.

I'd start discussing it with them. Especially as when the eldest turns 18, he/she will be more than within their legal rights to refuse to go with you.

Are you willing to split up your family? I'm saying this from my own experience. Do not under any circumstances make the move without genuinely consulting your kids first. If they say no, then forget about it. It isn't worth the family strife.

(Also, you say you're 30 and have a 17 year old kid? Either you were quite the talker when you were 12 or I guess they're kids from another marriage - just bear in mind, if it's the latter then you'll need to get the adoption papers attested, which costs money and can take some time.)
Old May 12th 2012, 10:11 am

good points raised.

it's never simple - then again anything worth doing is never an easy decision either.....

lots of food for thought.
Old May 12th 2012, 10:42 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
good points raised.

it's never simple - then again anything worth doing is never an easy decision either.....

lots of food for thought.
Agreed. It's about selling the advantages to your kids, but being honest about the downsides.
Old May 12th 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

After I had the Skype call with Tarek, I discussed the ins and outs of the job and country with the wife. We had a feeling the call was coming, so had done quite a lot of research on the countries do's and don't's what to expect etc and trolled the forums and websites extensively. That night we sat the elder two children down (which quite rightly are not biologically mine) and put the proposal across to them. We certainly haven't tried to dress this up for them and given it to them as it is, sand, bland and heat. But as well as the downsides, we also have to tell them the upsides, I am a keen believer in under promising and over delivering, so I have stuck to this rule with them. They are both really excited about the idea. I think it also has to be compared our way of live here and although the kids have good schools to attend, we hardly live in a desirable area and I wouldn't say I earn a great wage here? Also the wife doesn't work, so I have to compare point A to point B? On the salary note again, 40k + allowances seems a bit high to me? I'm hardly a brain surgeon or anything, I was told that if I earn around 1 1/2 times my U.k salary I should be okay? That would equate to QR220000, and my package is worth around QR240000 + allowances, health care, insurance, flights and bonuses, so on that basis, I felt the money was okay? Obviously I am no expert, but it seemed I would have a far more comfortable life in Qatar then here in the U.k?

Thanks for all the help guys, any ideas are good ideas, I am sure I will have missed something

Just to add, the two eldest lads don't see their real dad and are not adopted by me. Would this cause problems?

Last edited by GazzaMac; May 12th 2012 at 1:15 pm.
Old May 12th 2012, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

james1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm here on my own, family back in the uk, not loving it at the moment.

On the other hand, if I was here,in a nice villa, attractive salary plus benefits and my family with me...Qatar would be a great place!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.