Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi or Doha???

Abu Dhabi or Doha???

Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

nicci82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi or Doha???

Hi everyone, has anyone had expirience of living in Abu Dhabi and Doha? My husband has the opportunity to work in both, would be similar job, t&cs, money etc. Have been doing my research and they seem very similar, with Doha quickly catching up to AD development wise because of the world cup. It would be husband, toddler son, 2 dogs and myself moving. One of my concerns it that Doha is more conservitive for women, especially with dress, skirts below the knee and tops no clevage and with sleeves, not that i want to wonder around with it all hanging out... is this true, is it acceptable to wear a vest and shorts to the beach for example?? Is it different when in a compound?
I would always want to be respectful to the culture. Is it less strict in AD compared to Doha?

If anyone has knowledge expirience it would be really helpful!
Old Mar 24th 2014, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Abu Dhabi or Doha???

Abu Dhabi every time. I cannot think of any things in Doha that are better than Abu Dhabi.

I have just spent 18 months in Doha and hopefully will never have to return.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

I've yet to see anyone say they enjoyed living in Doha on this board. That in itself ought to hint at the other option being the better.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

I've spent many short periods of time, 1 month, 6 weeks, in Abu Dhabi over the last 20 years. I've also spent the last 12 months in Doha. Given similar job options I wouldn't even contemplate Doha in a comparison.

Doha is survivable, Abu Dhabi would be more livable.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Abu Dhabi over Doha everytime for me and i've lived and worked in both for long contract periods and im still currently in Qatar.

There are similar in small ways but only in small ways . The UAE is a far more easier and pleasurable place to live than Qatar because things are easier and there's more choice in every single aspect of your life .

A total no brainer for me
Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:34 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Factoring out the fact Dubai is an hour away from Abu Dhabi, What is the difference between AD and Doha?? Having lived in both the only difference is Abu Dhabi has more choices where to eat and drink
Old Mar 25th 2014, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Factoring out the fact Dubai is an hour away from Abu Dhabi, What is the difference between AD and Doha?? Having lived in both the only difference is Abu Dhabi has more choices where to eat and drink
Better infrastructure , better business environment , better accommodation , better social choices excluding food & drink and better employment laws to name a quick few .

I live very well here in Qatar but choice is limited and that can affect your day to day life and the way you live your life . If i disliked it enough here i'd leave tomorrow . You get used to where you live and you adapt accordingly as you're only here for a set period .

I try not to get to parochial about Gulf countries as they can all land you in the mire at some defined point so i just break it down into what makes my life easier .

Qatar is fine to live and work but it has it's limitations like everywhere.

Last edited by co durham boy; Mar 25th 2014 at 8:21 am.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:00 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Better infrastructure , better business environment , better accommodation , better social choices excluding food & drink and better employment laws to name a quick few .

I live very well here in Qatar but choice is limited and that can affect your day to day life and the way you live your life . If i disliked it enough here i'd leave tomorrow . You get used to where you live and you adapt accordingly as you're only here for a set period .

I try not to get to parochial about Gulf countries as they can all land you in the mire at some defined point so i just break it down into what makes my life easier .

Qatar is fine to live and work but it has it's limitations like everywhere.

I kind of like the consistency you get in Qatar, the mundane routine over AD. That said I need my bi monthly get outs to stay sane but many of my frustrations here are the same in the UAE. Employment law is a big one and by far the better place is the UAE for that.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I kind of like the consistency you get in Qatar, the mundane routine over AD. That said I need my bi monthly get outs to stay sane but many of my frustrations here are the same in the UAE. Employment law is a big one and by far the better place is the UAE for that.
Exactly mate
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

nicci82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, that really helps. Abu Dhabi it is then.