Abaya information

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

worcesterhippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abaya information

I am wondering about abaya protocol in Riyadh. I know that foreigners can get away with wearing long stuff, shirts and trousers or dresses etc, but if one is going to be in the country for a while the consensus appears to be that it is easier to go with the flow and get an abaya. Has anyone seen coloured abayas in Riyadh or are they all black. If all black have you seen decoration on sleeves or body of the abaya?

I have read a lot of blogs and all the information I can find to help prepare for moving to Riyadh but there appeared to be a raid on abaya shops a while back taking anything that was decorated and leaving only plain black. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Abaya information

"I know that foreigners can get away with wearing long stuff, shirts and trousers or dresses etc"

Guess again - this is just not true, you would invite a lot of unwelcome attention by not wearing an abaya in Riyadh. In 2 years in Riyadh I never once saw a woman without an abaya when in public. They are all black without exception, although you did see some sparkly ones (but I believe these are frowned upon).
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that. Presumably wives will turn up without an abaya (which would be the foreigner with the long sleeves and trousers) and have to get one? or do you advocate getting an abaya in the UK before travelling over?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by worcesterhippo
Thanks for that. Presumably wives will turn up without an abaya (which would be the foreigner with the long sleeves and trousers) and have to get one? or do you advocate getting an abaya in the UK before travelling over?
Ah yes, you're right of course, I have seen a couple of women get off the plane and into waiting vehicles without donning the sack. I guess there's just not much opportunity for leering and hassle at the airport between arrivals and the taxi rank.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:12 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going there to start a job? if so is your emplyer meeting you there?

if so, ask them if they can bring an abaya for you to the airport to borrow until you purchase one.

I worked for a school in Riyadh and they had a stock of spares (left behind by departing teachers) which they brought to the airport.

I would support previous comments:
1) All females wear abayas
2) yes you can 'go sparkly', but this will draw attention to you.

You have to change your mindset. Imagine walking through you local (UK) town centre. You see a woman walking through the shopping centre in a bra and thong. You would find it shocking/unusual/pathetic/amusing? They would stand out and attract stares at least.

This is how a Saudi person (particularly devout Muslim) would view you walking without abaya.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

desertmum is an unknown quantity at this point

When i was there I had a plan all black abaya for going to and from work in, slightly more sparkly for shopping etc; but not over the top, and quite elaborate sparkly ones for going out in. My local friends had beautiful abayas for evening wear and looked stunning - but would never wear them in a public place. The sparklier they are the more expensive they are.

Think of it like a coat, every day wear, giong out shopping wear and 'posh'
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:57 am
Just Joined

I am quite happy to wear an abaya - when in Rome etc. Just gathering as much information as I can to be as prepared for the "culture shock" as I can be.

Good points on the dressing up abayas planning.

I don't have any plans to work at present. My husband is the one with the possible job in Riyadh. I will adjust to a life of leisure and fitness!

It was a little bit of a surprise when husband said what about Saudi. We had thought of UAE but not Saudi. He has lived there before, when young free and single, so knows what to expect and has passed on as much information as he can but it is nice to get first hand up to date information.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

There is a remarked difference in Riyadh, compared to Jeddah, and sadly, Riyadh is far more conservative than Jeddah.

Riyadh abbayas tend to be very plain, very few with sequins or patterns, and always always all black.

Jeddah sees far more glitter, spangles, sequins and glamour. I kid you not, I have seen Jeddah abbays with Chanel, D&G etc logo's sequinned on the back, or ones with Burberry trim around sleeves and hem. Far more colourful and glam. If an abbaya can ever be deemed to be glam? HAve also seen a few - not many though - women out without an abbaya, although they fully covered head to toe.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hippacrocapig will become famous soon enoughHippacrocapig will become famous soon enough

I got a cheapy Abaya for Riyadh from www.desertdress.com £22.99 just to get me over there