Reload this Page >

6 months rolling contract in Saudi - Taxation

6 months rolling contract in Saudi - Taxation

Old Apr 5th 2014, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

TrickiRicky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 months rolling contract in Saudi - Taxation

Hi,

I'm speaking to KAUST for a contracting role (6 months rolling).

My wife and my son will stay in UK.

I will be travelling back to UK most school holidays and couple of week in Summer. I have worked out a schedule that I will take 10 weeks of holidays, but half of the time be holiday in another country.

I think I may start mid or end of April 2014.

Please can anyone advise me what is my tax responsibilities?

Thanks

Ricky
Old Apr 5th 2014, 3:56 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months rolling contract in Saudi - Taxation

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Search online for 'UK Statutory Residence Flowchart' and take your pick. Also see the older HMRC6 Guide - Section 8.5 for the precise rules about becoming and remaining UK non-resident for tax purposes. Not sure if a 6 month rolling contract meets the exact requirements of Section 8.5. You might want to ask your prospective employer for a two year contract minimum, just to be on the safe side.

The new tax year starts tomorrow, so it will be able April 6th 2016 before you become UK non-resident, which can be backdated to the day after you leave the UK. This might be harder to do in KSA than you think since employment rights are non-existent, hire & fire commonplace and the Sponsorship system can prevent you working for another employer in KSA without an NOC. Plus your family are not there to support you, which doesn't help either.

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Apr 5th 2014 at 3:58 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 7:14 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months rolling contract in Saudi - Taxation

Originally Posted by TrickiRicky
Hi,

I'm speaking to KAUST for a contracting role (6 months rolling).

My wife and my son will stay in UK.

I will be travelling back to UK most school holidays and couple of week in Summer. I have worked out a schedule that I will take 10 weeks of holidays, but half of the time be holiday in another country.

I think I may start mid or end of April 2014.

Please can anyone advise me what is my tax responsibilities?

Thanks

Ricky
You are going to have an issue especially with the Statutory Residency Test.

See here: http://financialuae.me/2013/02/12/in...esidency-test/

If you don't fall into the category of Conclusively Resident, you have to consider the number of ties under the Leavers section.