Moving to the Middle East...

Old Apr 6th 2014, 1:58 pm
sfz
Just Joined

sfz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the Middle East...

Hi all,

Hope you're well.

I'm thinking about moving to the Middle East (Qatar or UAE) for a few years, but not quite sure where to start my job hunting. I've spoken to a few people about this, some say I should stick to online applications and others say the best way to land a job in Qatar or UAE is to actually travel there and attend face to face interviews. Can you give me advice if you are already there? How did you get your jobs?

Also, I'm 25 with three years experience in accounting, graduated from Manchester Business School with a First-class degree and have a masters. I'm ACCA part-qualified. So, are the odds in my favour? Or would I struggle to find a job in that region with my current experience/qualifications?

Please note that my current employer doesn't have branches in the Middle East - just in case anyone wondered if that's a possibility for me.

Thanks

Last edited by sfz; Apr 6th 2014 at 2:10 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 2:11 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the Middle East...

Yup - you'd struggle. You need to have a USP (unique selling point) - plenty of partially qualified ACCA candidates that are local out here. Best bet is to finish off your ACCA where you are, and develop a key skill (not too niche though as that can be a double edged sword) and then look again in a couple of years.

Localisation is strong here, and accounting can be done by locals relatively competently. Also, they have no reason nor motive to train up an expat when they can train a local. All my finance team are (competent) locals.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the Middle East...

Originally Posted by sfz
Hi all,

Hope you're well.

I'm thinking about moving to the Middle East (Qatar or UAE) for a few years, but not quite sure where to start my job hunting. I've spoken to a few people about this, some say I should stick to online applications and others say the best way to land a job in Qatar or UAE is to actually travel there and attend face to face interviews. Can you give me advice if you are already there? How did you get your jobs?

Also, I'm 25 with three years experience in accounting, graduated from Manchester Business School with a First-class degree and have a masters. I'm ACCA part-qualified. So, are the odds in my favour? Or would I struggle to find a job in that region with my current experience/qualifications?

Please note that my current employer doesn't have branches in the Middle East - just in case anyone wondered if that's a possibility for me.

Thanks
I was in your position about 10 years ago. I actually got an offer out here with a fund - I seem to remember it being about '50k GBP' a year.

I decided to turn the offer down, qualify in London and do about two years (dropped the bean counting and switched to corporate finance)... As a PQ in London I was earning 45k ... Came out here six years ago on ... more. You won't do yourself any favours by qualifying and doing your work experience here. Do it in London.