Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

100 million quid mosque

100 million quid mosque

Old Mar 30th 2007, 5:27 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 100 million quid mosque

[QUOTE=arbroath_abroad;4580801]
Originally Posted by MJC

Have you tried them?? just looked at your photo's, i would say yes, to excess.
AA! leave our Jimmy alone! bless him
GA
Old Mar 30th 2007, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Blue Cat;4580804]
Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
AA! leave our Jimmy alone! bless him
GA
he started it
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:47 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

In for your info. I have Never Ever had a deep fried mars bar or pizza or anything like that. You will find that these types of food are pretty restricted to the west coast of Scotland ala Glasgow, and as i come from a fishing town on the east coast, the only thing we deep fry is Haddock and chips.

hmmmm north east of england................people in glass houses springs to mind
I was taking the piss, surely you know that, if you can find one sensible post by me on this forum I'll buy you a funny hat!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
I was taking the piss, surely you know that, if you can find one sensible post by me on this forum I'll buy you a funny hat!
Of course i know you were taking the piss, thats why i responded!! as for the funny hat, with my rediculous hair that would be a good idea!!

Incidentaly, years ago i worked at Yarrows shipyard on the Clyde in Glasgow, the daily lunch deal at the chipper next to the yard was a deep fried pizza and a litre bottle of Irn Bru. Guys were having that every single day. Bet they could actually feel their veins closing!!

How could you not find this tempting??

Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:03 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Of course i know you were taking the piss, thats why i responded!! as for the funny hat, with my rediculous hair that would be a good idea!!

Incidentaly, years ago i worked at Yarrows shipyard on the Clyde in Glasgow, the daily lunch deal at the chipper next to the yard was a deep fried pizza and a litre bottle of Irn Bru. Guys were having that every single day. Bet they could actually feel their veins closing!!

How could you not find this tempting??

http://i5.tinypic.com/43z7h9f.jpg
disgusting!!!! And I am married to a jock!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 5:11 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=arbroath_abroad;4580801]
Originally Posted by MJC

In for your info. I have Never Ever had a deep fried mars bar or pizza or anything like that. You will find that these types of food are pretty restricted to the west coast of Scotland ala Glasgow, and as i come from a fishing town on the east coast, the only thing we deep fry is Haddock and chips.

hmmmm north east of england................people in glass houses springs to mind
Getting personal now, because your arguments have been shown up, eh? Like Elvira said, the mosque isn't going to be publically funded, but with typical knee-jerking indignation, you jumped to conclusions. I wouldn't jump to conclusions, but it's a safe bet that you read the Sun, the Express or the Mail.

Now if you want to read some more dissent, go along to Secret Dubai Diary. And if you want to see more examples of how us upstanding citizens of the West respect the cultures of this country, get down to Barasti on an evening. And the flip side of that coin is the contempt that the locals hold these people in, just as people hold the extremist idiots in the UK in contempt. It annoys me when we start tarring everyone with the same brush. There are idiots in every country and every culture. Seems to me that you only want to see it from your side.

The biggest shame is that you seem to be quoting me when it was MJC who said the bit about deep-fried stuff. Maybe he was right about the reading bit, eh?

Oh, and I much prefer the West Coast. It might be full of soap-dodgers, but they know their whisky!

Last edited by littlejimmy; Mar 30th 2007 at 5:13 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Pino will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=littlejimmy;4583247]
Getting personal now, because your arguments have been shown up, eh? Like Elvira said, the mosque isn't going to be publically funded, but with typical knee-jerking indignation, you jumped to conclusions. I wouldn't jump to conclusions, but it's a safe bet that you read the Sun, the Express or the Mail.

Now if you want to read some more dissent, go along to Secret Dubai Diary. And if you want to see more examples of how us upstanding citizens of the West respect the cultures of this country, get down to Barasti on an evening. And the flip side of that coin is the contempt that the locals hold these people in, just as people hold the extremist idiots in the UK in contempt. It annoys me when we start tarring everyone with the same brush. There are idiots in every country and every culture. Seems to me that you only want to see it from your side.

The biggest shame is that you seem to be quoting me when it was MJC who said the bit about deep-fried stuff. Maybe he was right about the reading bit, eh?

Oh, and I much prefer the West Coast. It might be full of soap-dodgers, but they know their whisky!

littlejimmy, where is Barasti, it sounds so much like a decent place, Doesn't Barasti mean outdoors or similar?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 6:07 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Pino;4583345]
Originally Posted by littlejimmy

littlejimmy, where is Barasti, it sounds so much like a decent place, Doesn't Barasti mean outdoors or similar?
It's at Le Meridien Mina Seyahi, down towards the beach. And it is sort of Al Fresco. Or is it Al Dente, rodders?

It's also full of pretentious twats.

(I've been 3 times)

Last edited by littlejimmy; Mar 30th 2007 at 6:17 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

mmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nice

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/poll/p...te+now/poll.do

Apparently London Council are planning the biggest mosque in the UK to celebrate the olympics being held there in 2012. Are you for or against, vote on line.

GA

Hi

I am a so called "moderate muslim" so as to give you a clear pic that my thoughts are not extreme in any way (far from it if you were to know me in person). 1stly at the bottom of that article there is a statement by a reader pasted below:

Where in this story does it say that the 100 million pounds is coming from public coffers? Would members of the public have a right of appeal if the planning application was heard by the local council? The development corporation may be a public body but this story doesn't claim that they're paying for the mosque, only deciding whether it gets planning permission.

- Mark, Luton, UK

I can not see any mention of tax payers money, if l am mistaken and have missed it please do point it out to me.

I also know exactly where this proposed site is and have been there on a couple of occassions, you can see canary wharf from there. They are not extremists. Upon my last visit they were still raising funds and we were praying in a make-shift mosque, with no central heating, we were freezing in the winter nights. And l can tell you that like every mosque in UK, funding is by bazaars, very generous muslims in the community and in some cases across the UK, some also being sponsored by rich families & companies in Saudi. In many cases the budget is tight and muslims in the community have to help out in building and maintenance work. Trust me, l have been there and done that in my own local mosque in Chingford, brick laying etc... I know people personally who have given up their jobs to help with the plans of this particular site.

ALSO, this is not for the olympics, as this site was bought for the purpose of a mosque nearly 3 yrs ago.

Please have an open mind and do not jump to conclusions and have ill feelings, people have given up alot of their time and personal money (NOT TAXPAYERS) for the sake of that mosque and their religion.

Thx
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

mmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nicemmm... is just really nice

Originally Posted by hyperMutley
£££s spent on this crap

:curse: :curse: :curse:
Please, have some decency.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

hyperMutley will become famous soon enough

i will. but can you tell the fellows in Tablighi Jamaat to have the 'decency' to stop blowing up my city!
Old Mar 31st 2007, 6:23 am
Concierge

[QUOTE=littlejimmy;4583429]
Originally Posted by Pino
It's at Le Meridien Mina Seyahi, down towards the beach. And it is sort of Al Fresco. Or is it Al Dente, rodders?

It's also full of pretentious twats.

(I've been 3 times)
agreed, went there the other night for an hour, out of curiosity more than anything but felt out of place as I wasn't a media/internet professional that weighs 8 stone and has got big tits.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:43 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Blue Cat;4585209]
agreed, went there the other night for an hour, out of curiosity more than anything but felt out of place as I wasn't a media/internet professional that weighs 8 stone and has got big tits.
They might not be big but they're very firm!
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=littlejimmy;4583247]

And if you want to see more examples of how us upstanding citizens of the West respect the cultures of this country, get down to Barasti on an evening. And the flip side of that coin is the contempt that the locals hold these people in, just as people hold the extremist idiots in the UK in contempt. It annoys me when we start tarring everyone with the same brush. There are idiots in every country and every culture. Seems to me that you only want to see it from your side.
Id love to be your bookie as with typical knee-jerking indignation, you jumped to conclusions. I certainly do not read the sun, the mail or the express. You obviously regard me as some sort of low educated common chav. Fine by me, as i just love burberry caps and lowered corsa SRI's

I have been to Barasti's a few times and agree that it is frequented by fuds. I can and do see it from both sides, so i think there is a bit of crossed wires here

I have read back at my post and i said that i would be gutted if my earnings in any contributed to another mosque in London. I stand by all my comments wholeheartedly.

The locals here 'accept' our cultures as long as we dont break the rules or publicly go against the ways of this country.

Anyway, lets agree to disagree, maybe my point was not well put over, i blame that on my lack of intellect.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean when you refer to 'my side'? im interested to know what you think my side is??
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:44 pm
Excess Baggage

[QUOTE=arbroath_abroad;4586172]

Id love to be your bookie as with typical knee-jerking indignation, you jumped to conclusions. I certainly do not read the sun, the mail or the express. You obviously regard me as some sort of low educated common chav. Fine by me, as i just love burberry caps and lowered corsa SRI's

I have been to Barasti's a few times and agree that it is frequented by fuds. I can and do see it from both sides, so i think there is a bit of crossed wires here

I have read back at my post and i said that i would be gutted if my earnings in any contributed to another mosque in London. I stand by all my comments wholeheartedly.

The locals here 'accept' our cultures as long as we dont break the rules or publicly go against the ways of this country.

Anyway, lets agree to disagree, maybe my point was not well put over, i blame that on my lack of intellect.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean when you refer to 'my side'? im interested to know what you think my side is??
How would YOUR earnings contribute, since you are here in a tax-free haven? It's academic anyway, because the mosque would be built using funds raised by the muslim community.

OK, I was wrong about what you read, but I have made a point by showing that jumping to conclusions can lead to the wrong conclusion more often than the right.

But essentially, my point is that people from all cultures misbehave and expect to be able to carry on like we're at home when we're abroad, and some Brits can be amongst the worst. The whole veil thing back in the UK was quite telling and showed all sides of the same argument. People feel uncomfortable seeing people dressed differently to them. I heard people demanding that people shouldn't wear the veil. And yet, no Brits come here and wear the veil or national dress (well not that I'm aware of). And some locals complain about the way we dress. It all goes round in circles, but for the most part, people get on with it and live and let live.

And I don't know what your side is. I just think you and indeed all of us should try to see things from the opposite side to what we are brought up to believe as well. Walk a mile in another man's shoes, then run away with them if they're nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.