Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by N1cky
57 Reasons Living in Yorkshire Ruins You For Life

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton...like-it#2tcu72

Some of these photos are stunning, Yorkshire really is magnificent.

The dry stone walls make me homesick for walking my dog in Holmfirth, and her constantly jumping back and forwards over the walls.
Fabulous!

Makes me wonder why I split my life living between Houston and Hampshire
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 6:14 am
Just Joined

expat93021 is an unknown quantity at this point

'That's not much of a chuffing SOS is it?' Remember when Dave said that as they are balancing on the car in the canal and Gaz is nodding his head to the man walking by with his dog? I thought that was hilarious.

Then in Gerald's house and Dave says 'Anti-fat bastard cream there is not, mate.' also had me going. 'Course, his wrapping himself up with cling film, sitting in the garden shed in the middle of the night and chowing down on a Mars bar wouldn't do his figure much good either would it. I also like the bit when the ginger-haired kid is trying to kill himself in his car and old Dave ambles along and helps him start the engine, then realizes the kid's killing himself, runs to drag him out of the car and then shoves him back in again.

Whoever wrote the lines in that movie did a wonderful job. There was so much of home in it, so much real humor, that even the scene with Jean's friend standing up and peeing like a man made me giggle. Dirty bugger - she didn't wash her hands afterwards.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:32 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Don't the Italians have an expression for "people are strange"?
Yeah but I think they completely missed the double entendre of "queer", didn't translate that sentence at all and none of the Italians knew why Gazza and his mate fell about laughing.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:45 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and ..... Brassed Off is called Grazie Signora Thatcher in Italian
Attached Thumbnails Who is from Yorkshire?-untitled.png  
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 1:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Yeah but I think they completely missed the double entendre of "queer", didn't translate that sentence at all and none of the Italians knew why Gazza and his mate fell about laughing.
Well surely double entendres are just about impossible to translate under any circumstances into any language.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Henderson's Relish.
Now I get it, just read the 57 reasons...lol
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expat93021
'That's not much of a chuffing SOS is it?' Remember when Dave said that as they are balancing on the car in the canal and Gaz is nodding his head to the man walking by with his dog? I thought that was hilarious.

Then in Gerald's house and Dave says 'Anti-fat bastard cream there is not, mate.' also had me going. 'Course, his wrapping himself up with cling film, sitting in the garden shed in the middle of the night and chowing down on a Mars bar wouldn't do his figure much good either would it. I also like the bit when the ginger-haired kid is trying to kill himself in his car and old Dave ambles along and helps him start the engine, then realizes the kid's killing himself, runs to drag him out of the car and then shoves him back in again.

Whoever wrote the lines in that movie did a wonderful job. There was so much of home in it, so much real humor, that even the scene with Jean's friend standing up and peeing like a man made me giggle. Dirty bugger - she didn't wash her hands afterwards.
The Cling wrap and Mars Bar is something I always remember, so Comical.

The black guy in the phone box ix another killer laugh...

I love the Cockney Rebel tune, I always crank up the surround for that one, it just has such good memories for my days in Sheffield.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Roberrrt is an unknown quantity at this point

York born and bred moved to Matawan, NJ with my US wife. By gosh do I miss Yorkshire...
Old Dec 17th 2014, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Roberrrt
York born and bred moved to Matawan, NJ with my US wife. By gosh do I miss Yorkshire...
I read you loud n clear, there is Nowt like it.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Nowt like it, thats reet.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nowt like it, thats reet.
Do you have long term plans on staying here?

Bet you miss the food and humour, many people do.

I get my Yorkshire fix every week by watching re-runs of Last of the Summer Wine on the box, sadly it just makes me miss it more.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah I think we'll be here at least 5 years. Only reason we moved here though is because of the financial requirement in England is too much for me to bring my wife to England even though she lived there 5 years before.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah I think we'll be here at least 5 years. Only reason we moved here though is because of the financial requirement in England is too much for me to bring my wife to England even though she lived there 5 years before.
Good for you, Ive been here since 76 and wife since 79, we tried going back in 89 but failed and returned to the USA, we will give it another go once we can afford to do so, I miss it everyday, we cant leave without money at our age, late 50s.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice

Robert....from right down the road in Whitley bridge.

Been here 2 1/2 years. Not been back to England yet but hopefully planning a visit next spring.
My husband warned me about how i would miss the simple pleasures in life, which i denied and said no way! He was right lol.
I just ate a jammy wagon wheel and now I'm homesick.

Where in the states are you? Were in orlando.

Janet
Old Dec 18th 2014, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

We're in Matawan, NJ. About an hour drive from New York City.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.