Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Jan 5th 2015, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

LindseyAnn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

wow - brings back lots of nice memories listening to where everyone's been and is from. Of course Yorkshire is the best place to be from I reckon. Northallerton was a favourite of ours as well, my mother goes every week to get her special things from Lewis and Cooper. North Ormesby was where our doctors was and we always walked across the bridge from the Longlands and past the allotments to get there. Fish and Chips of course also at Whitby and a walk up the steps to the church and smell the smoked kippers.
Berwick Hill Baths I think is visited by everyone in the area at some point.

Yorkieabroad - I was looking at flats on the front at Saltburn the other day incase I can ever get back and retire - that would be my place to go to also.

We should form our own Yorkshire Club!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 2:14 am
Banned

nadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond reputenadineuk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Hull, Yorkshire. Coming over to New York next week for 3 months...I wish I could have the chance to stay in America for longer and work, experience the real life instead of the tourist type. But I know the hustle and bustle of New York will make me miss home terribly
Old Jan 6th 2015, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nadineuk
I'm from Hull, Yorkshire. Coming over to New York next week for 3 months...I wish I could have the chance to stay in America for longer and work, experience the real life instead of the tourist type. But I know the hustle and bustle of New York will make me miss home terribly
I went to uni in Hull (graduated in 94). My oldest uni friend now lives in Pelham, New York and works in Manhattan.

For our relocation, we had the choice of NYC, CT or Chicago. We chose Chicago for a number of reasons, I do love New York, but felt that my OH would be compromising on his commute if we wanted a large 5+ bed home within 30-40 mins of his office.

Enjoy your time in the city
Old Jan 7th 2015, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of

My family (parents, grandparents, aunts) are all Hull people although not there now. Some of my fondest memories are times spent with my grandparents in Willerby, walking along the Foreshore and having a Burgess' 'lickey' in Beverley!

I was born in York and lived in Elvington.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Wow, some folk are real local to me ...we moved to Guisborough when I was in primary school. Lots of names that ring bells in the last couple of pages ....

Saltburn was always our default "blow the cobwebs away" walk on the beach or through the valley gardens. It is now a favourite with my own kids when we go back. Mam always said she wanted to retire to one of the big old houses on the "top" but never did, so we did the next best thing and scattered her ashes there this summer.

New Marske was always a good option for sledging in the hill next to Grewgrass Lane, although the sledging field in Hutton Village was normally first choice as it was closer.

Whitby was a regular visit for fish and chips at the Magpie or the one just across the bridge on the right - cant remember the name. Always stink up the car on the way back with a few kippers. Sister now gets the train down there for a night out!!

Blakey - a regular evening night out in our late teens/early 20's. We shared the designated driver duty and used to head up there summer or winter - but especially when there was snow in the forecast, in the hope of becoming the subject of one of the newspaper cuttings on the wall about customers snowed in for a week

Swainby - we were friends with some folk from Stokesly who lived out there - one of them was the daughter of the owner of the Blacksmiths Arms, so when we were in the mood for a guaranteed lock-in, guess where.....

Northallerton was never close on my radar, but if I asked Mam if she wanted a run out somewhere it would normally be to Northallerton or Yarm. Nice old towns, and if we ever moved back, I think we'd head somewhere like that.

North Ormesby was where I learnt to play pontoon and gin/rummy with great Aunt, after early piano lessons with old Miss Clacton who was never without her "sunday best" church hat. After she died, we moved to Mrs Butters who used to scream at me that I was a "wretched boy" if I hadn't done my practice (wonder why I never enjoyed piano....). By this time the Aunt had moved to a big old Victorian in Redcar, and I would go there after piano for "continuing education" including my introduction to whisky at a very tender age!

Berwick Hills swimming baths were where we went for a few swim meets, diving lessons, and to get beaten up for our chips afterwards

Err, sorry, bit of a ramble along memory lane for me there.
NOOO stop it Yorkie!!! im too homesick now!!!
Old Jan 15th 2015, 11:23 am
Just Joined

nug nugs is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just moved over from Wetherby. Kids loving it here however I'm finding missing friends and family quite hard
Old Jan 15th 2015, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nug nugs
We have just moved over from Wetherby. Kids loving it here however I'm finding missing friends and family quite hard
See how it goes, not everyone stays.

Family, Friends, Food and the British sense of Humor were what I missed at first, over the years with British food being more available, Cheap phone calls and Skype have made it easier, but still Im homesick and plan to return.

What ages are you and the family?

How long have you been here?

Good Luck to you.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 1:07 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nug nugs
Welcome! My niece lives in Thorner, which I think is quite close.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Northallerton, Lewis & Cooper & the market are big family favourites for me too .

L&C do the best non-home-made Christmas puds I've encountered, and they travel long distances very well !
Old Jan 28th 2015, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

cityboys1911 is on a distinguished road

born in Hull lived in Bradford most of my life a lifelong BFD CITY fan now living in Davenport Florida
Old Jan 28th 2015, 8:06 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityboys1911
born in Hull lived in Bradford most of my life a lifelong BFD CITY fan now living in Davenport Florida
Hello! I attended Bradford Girls' but lived in Bingley. And was raised to be a Huddersfield Town fan.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

anybody thinking of going back home ????
Old Jan 28th 2015, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, next Tuesday 😀

I'm lucky though insofar as we don't live here, just spend a lot of time here, so I get best of both worlds!! Home is Hampshire though but I will be up in North Yorkshire within a couple of weeks to recharge my batteries!

On another note, mega looking forward to Tour de Yorkshire!! Goes right past my parents farm and through all my old haunts. 🚲
Old Jan 28th 2015, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I am, but Ive been on this journey for years, I just need planty of money, I would have been their in 2009 but we all remember what happened in 08.

I think about going back every hour of every day, its that simple.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

anyone else here living in my area Davenport Florida ????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.