British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Meet-ups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/)
-   -   Houston meet-up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/houston-meet-up-751492/)

Yorkieabroad Apr 18th 2012 9:21 pm

Re: Houston meet-up

There's one just being built on the south side of I-10 between (I think) Fry and Mason..

Bink Apr 19th 2012 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10013300)
There's one just being built on the south side of I-10 between (I think) Fry and Mason..

That'll be why I haven't seen it. I get off at Barker if I take I-10. Wish there was one a little closer to me. I have a spring creek nearby but I don't think it's as good.

Yorkieabroad Apr 19th 2012 3:05 am

Theres a Spring Creek just opposite where they new Rudy's is going in. Like all the other new restaurants round here, it was packed when it first opened, but business seeems to have tailed off quite a bit now. Been a couple of times. Its sort of OK, but not in a hurry to go back anytime soon!

Emmas Apr 19th 2012 11:45 am

Originally Posted by trailerdude (Post 10012976)
BUMP

Unexpectedly back in the area, enjoying this awesome weather!!

When's that new Rudy's gonna be open on I-10....love that place!

Y'all still on for next month?

Hey everyone :D

Well, unfortunately I won't be in Houston by end of May (Visa rejected :eek:) so you guys will have to meet up without me this time. We are going back down to the Embassy in May, so fingers crossed!

There is quite a few of you to meet up though; Sat 19th May we decided on, Memorial Park :)

Em x

Bink Apr 19th 2012 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Emmas (Post 10014342)

Well, unfortunately I won't be in Houston by end of May (Visa rejected :eek:) so you guys will have to meet up without me this time. We are going back down to the Embassy in May, so fingers crossed!

There is quite a few of you to meet up though; Sat 19th May we decided on, Memorial Park :)

Em x

Oh no, sorry to hear that. What happened? :(

Emmas Apr 19th 2012 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bink (Post 10014401)
Oh no, sorry to hear that. What happened? :(

Well.. I am biased of course ;)

We went to the window, and we were there for maybe 4-5 minutes. He asked My hubby 2 questions "whats your job doing" "what are your specific duties" he asked me "why are you going" - he didn't look at any of our supporting documents/evidence that we were told to take.

It was like he had rejected the visa's before we even arrived :( we were devastated.

Letter said it was rejected for 2 reasons 1) lack of ties to the UK (but he never asked us anything!, and we had all our evidence with us!!) 2) visa didn't tie in with job (again he didn't see enough or ask anything to know).

AFTER he rejected us, the guy had a real bee in his bonnet with the fact that I was going with my husband. He said "why are you taking your wife it's a business trip" hubby replied, "it could be for up to 12 months, we are a family, we don't want to be apart" guy replied with "that's just business"

NICE! Aweful experience. We have been before, so we knew what to expect and how serious it all is, but this was over the top.

*Rant over* :D

Yorkieabroad Apr 20th 2012 4:44 am

Em x

Oooh - thats not good. Sorry to hear that.

Yorkieabroad Apr 20th 2012 4:44 am

Sat 19th May we decided on, Memorial Park :)

Em x

You gonna skype in for it?;)

Emmas Apr 20th 2012 6:31 am

Thanks for the sympathy :)

Yes, Skype is a viable option:rofl:

Bit weird bride and groom being carried at their own wedding like that haha:p

Hubby has another app May 14th... here's hoping

Em x

Yorkieabroad Apr 20th 2012 1:02 pm

Might have missed this, but how long is he likely to be here - if its "up to" 12 months, is there a possibility he comes on his own and you use VWP 90 day visits ?

Emmas Apr 20th 2012 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10016463)
Might have missed this, but how long is he likely to be here - if its "up to" 12 months, is there a possibility he comes on his own and you use VWP 90 day visits ?

Here's where it gets sticky...

We now have a visa rejection on our record. I could do visits, which we have thought of, but there is always the chance that I would get refused. Even though we are legally married, we had a small registry office in the UK, but we actually have our "wedding" booked for family and friends in Houston this September, so we need to make sure we can get into Houston for then... hence we are needing to tread carefully with how many visa we apply for, and have in our record.

Oh the joys :D

Em xx

newtohouston Apr 25th 2012 10:51 pm

I would love to partake in this, at a later date though. I arrive in Houston as of 1st July and am keen to get to know other Brits there :D

Natalie

Yorkieabroad Apr 26th 2012 3:14 am

Originally Posted by newtohouston (Post 10025737)
I would love to partake in this, at a later date though. I arrive in Houston as of 1st July and am keen to get to know other Brits there :D

Natalie

Great idea!

Please see Post #10, and make the following corrections:-
replace "vi" with "vu" (duh)
replace "May 1st" with "July 1st"

Then keep calm and carry on...............

Seriously though, you pick up that baton and go! Organizing a meet-up in this town seems nigh on impossible, as evidenced by the multitude of bodies of threads in the meet-up forum....

By the way - good luck with the move - which part of town are you coming to?

scrubbedexpat097 Apr 26th 2012 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10026073)
Great idea!

Please see Post #10, and make the following corrections:-
replace "vi" with "vu" (duh)
replace "May 1st" with "July 1st"

Then keep calm and carry on...............

Seriously though, you pick up that baton and go! Organizing a meet-up in this town seems nigh on impossible, as evidenced by the multitude of bodies of threads in the meet-up forum....

By the way - good luck with the move - which part of town are you coming to?

I did suggest Brazos Bend.....name the day and time and we will be there. I bet ChocolateBabz will show up as well.

Emmas Apr 26th 2012 8:46 am

It is hard to organise something for everyone.

I hope you guys do get to meet up, and I'll come back and post once I know we are actually gonna make it to Houston :fingerscrossed::D

Jealous of your summer? .... me? nah!! I get the Scottish "summer" lucky me ;)

Em x