British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Meet-ups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/)
-   -   Houston meet-up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/houston-meet-up-751492/)

ukintexas Mar 13th 2012 2:55 pm

Houston meet-up

Seems to be a few newbies into the location so thought it was a good time to try and arrange another British Expats meet up. Anyone interested?

Emmas Mar 13th 2012 4:30 pm

Re: Houston meet-up

I would be! :D

Bink Mar 13th 2012 6:48 pm

Yep yep! :)

Brown18 Mar 13th 2012 10:44 pm

Yes please.

lisajdubai Mar 14th 2012 2:33 pm

Yep me too :thumbsup:

tonrob Mar 14th 2012 3:12 pm

Me too! Could we have it somewhere nice, like New York? :)

Emmas Mar 15th 2012 1:11 pm

So..... Who organises these meet ups?!

I would be happy to do so once I arrive :D though I would perhaps need help in choosing a location!

Em x

texasjan Mar 15th 2012 2:56 pm

And me!
How about the Red Lion on Shepherd?
evening or weekend?

Emmas Mar 15th 2012 3:32 pm

If it could be after 1st May - (when I arrive) that would be great! :D

Yorkieabroad Mar 15th 2012 7:48 pm

I'm getting an awful feeling of deja vi here.....Emma......based on "recent" feeble efforts (mine included), May 1st next year is probably pushing it!!! Maybe some of the newcomers will have more luck/stamina.....hope so! Count me in.

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 18th 2012 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 9955192)
I'm getting an awful feeling of deja vi here.....Emma......based on "recent" feeble efforts (mine included), May 1st next year is probably pushing it!!! Maybe some of the newcomers will have more luck/stamina.....hope so! Count me in.

Brazos Bend Park, before it gets too hot. Everyone brings food and drink, there are pits to BBQ on and the kids can run around chasing the Alligators.

Sorted...see ya all there:D

Emmas Mar 20th 2012 11:52 am

Hi,

I'm arriving in May this year?! :confused:

When does everyone want to meet?

Em x:)

trailerdude Mar 20th 2012 1:39 pm

Topical thread - that storm has been chasing me the last few hours, and I just pulled off I-10 near Katy for some breakfast, and to avoid it, and the rush hour nutters who have't noticed there's a bit of standing water on the roads.....driving tanks really does give the locals here a different view on road safety;)

On the good news side, if you're east of Katy, it looks like the storm is petering out a bit, although it still brought a bit of lightning and probably an inch or so of rain

But I digress....I'm just passing thru this time, but will be back for a few weeks in May - would be good to join a meetup if transient tramps are allowed? Always enjoy a night out in Houston.

Bink Mar 20th 2012 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by trailerdude (Post 9962813)
Topical thread - that storm has been chasing me the last few hours, and I just pulled off I-10 near Katy for some breakfast, and to avoid it, and the rush hour nutters who have't noticed there's a bit of standing water on the roads.....driving tanks really does give the locals here a different view on road safety;)

On the good news side, if you're east of Katy, it looks like the storm is petering out a bit, although it still brought a bit of lightning and probably an inch or so of rain

But I digress....I'm just passing thru this time, but will be back for a few weeks in May - would be good to join a meetup if transient tramps are allowed? Always enjoy a night out in Houston.

I live out towards Cypress and it's only just starting to thin out - we lost power for a while during the night.
The sad thing about the locals driving tanks is that because a few idiots clearly didn't pick up any understanding of physics at school, if you drive anything less you feel unsafe on the roads. One of the reasons we just bought an SUV was so that we felt safer on the roads next to all the jacked up trucks doing 80 in the rain.

Anyway :focus: May would work for us. We're in the Barker/290 area but don't mind travelling somewhere central to the majority of peeps.

Emmas Mar 20th 2012 2:29 pm

That's the same reason I want a truck when I get there :D

Anyhooo...

Ok, would peeps prefer a Sat or Sunday?

Yes, let's make it somewhere fairly central, hopefully then it's equal distance for everyone to travel. Let's fix a date, then we can sort out a location..

Em x

texasjan Mar 20th 2012 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Emmas (Post 9962919)

Anyhooo...

Ok, would peeps prefer a Sat or Sunday?

Yes, let's make it somewhere fairly central, hopefully then it's equal distance for everyone to travel. Let's fix a date, then we can sort out a location..

Em x

Prefer a sunday. Two dates to note in May - Mother's Day 13th and Memorial Day 28th so prob avoid that weekend before.

Yorkieabroad Mar 20th 2012 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Emmas (Post 9962919)

I just saw a smart car on the way to dropping the kids off at school - now that must be a scarey ride!

Bink Mar 20th 2012 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 9962976)
I just saw a smart car on the way to dropping the kids off at school - now that must be a scarey ride!

I get that (a smart car) in London or New York or the like, but in Houston?? I just don't get it. It's not like there's only real small parking spaces it's easier to get a small car into. :confused:

Emmas Mar 20th 2012 3:27 pm

Smart cars are :rofl:

It takes all sorts I guess!!

I'm a trucker! :p

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 20th 2012 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 9959631)
Brazos Bend Park, before it gets too hot. Everyone brings food and drink, there are pits to BBQ on and the kids can run around chasing the Alligators.

Sorted...see ya all there:D

I guess none of you like my suggestion:blink:

Yorkieabroad Mar 21st 2012 2:15 am

Whaddayamean - I was there - where were you? I had to eat my way thru 5lbs of hot dogs and a brisket all on my lonesome.....

Sure - Brazos is always a good day out - easy enough to get to from katy, but not sure how convenient it will be for others.............

So when are we talking?

TopSec Mar 21st 2012 9:22 pm

I'm back in town for early May, just organise away and we will come along if we can :)

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 21st 2012 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 9964036)
Whaddayamean - I was there - where were you? I had to eat my way thru 5lbs of hot dogs and a brisket all on my lonesome.....

Sure - Brazos is always a good day out - easy enough to get to from katy, but not sure how convenient it will be for others.............

So when are we talking?

Ha! Eat that much and you won't be able to run from the 'gators!

I think BB might be better in the fall/winter months, people with allergies will suffer big time right now!

So over to you to suggest, and as a lot of posters have kids I guess it needs to be child friendly. For us oldies it doesn't matter, just preferably on a Sat/Sunday (fingers crossed not when either of us are on call)

Emmas Mar 22nd 2012 11:17 am

Hi,

I'm gonna throw some dates at ya, and see what you think?

Sat 19th May or Sun 20th May?

or

Sat 2nd June or Sun 3rd June

I think Sugarmooma's idea of some kind of park/ food/maybe games! is a great idea...

Anyone know of one fairly central for everyone to get too?

On a side note.. anyone interested in a day out sometime to a water park??We love water parks! big kids :D

Em x

texasjan Mar 22nd 2012 9:53 pm

prefer 19/20 May.
Dont mind driving out to Brazos as suggested but centrally there is Memorial or Hermann Park that have picnic spaces.
Could prob do with a dunk come the summer!

Brown18 Mar 22nd 2012 10:39 pm

I also prefer May dates as I can't do June. But I as I'm still new I have no idea where the places that have been suggested are located. Still finding my way around. I feel I know the Woodlands well but not really outside that area yet!

Mr Weeze Mar 22nd 2012 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 9962976)

Was it black? There is someone I know at work (also a Brit couple) who bought one.

There is also someone with a Lotus Elise. That is a crazy car to have here.

Bink Mar 23rd 2012 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 9967815)
Was it black? There is someone I know at work (also a Brit couple) who bought one.

There is also someone with a Lotus Elise. That is a crazy car to have here.

Crazy, but at least it's cool!!:thumbsup:

May dates work for me too. Any of the suggested places work.

Yorkieabroad Mar 23rd 2012 5:04 am

Smartcar - no it was fluorescent lime green.....:unsure:

Lotus - is that the British Racing green one - see it quite a bit outside the Dunn Bros near HEB Fry rd, but never seen who drives it. Nice, but can't imagine the a/c is too effective in the summer!

Dates - May probably better here too, before swim season gets in full swing in June....

Brown 18 - Brazos Bend is a long drive from you - googlemap it, and you'll see - but its a nice park, and worth a trip some time, if we don't do it this time.

Texas Jan - I read that as "could do with a dRunk" and kinda liked the way you were thinking:D. But somewhere more central may make sense...

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 23rd 2012 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by texasjan (Post 9967677)
prefer 19/20 May.
Dont mind driving out to Brazos as suggested but centrally there is Memorial or Hermann Park that have picnic spaces.
Could prob do with a dunk come the summer!

The nice thing about Brazos Bend is that it never gets too "over busy", there are no big ammenities there but you can reserve one of the covered areas for groups...

...or if you all want to visit the beach we could all head down to Galveston/Surfside/ Quintanna??? Just a few ideas ..

Mr Weeze Mar 23rd 2012 7:36 pm

Lotus - the two I have seen is a blue one, at work, and a black one sometimes on I-10 of a morning. I work in the Galleria area, so it's a trek to there. I was in Dunn Bros this morning too, strangely. Never mind the A/C, can you imagine what the ride is like on Fry?

Bink Mar 23rd 2012 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 9969072)
Lotus - the two I have seen is a blue one, at work, and a black one sometimes on I-10 of a morning. I work in the Galleria area, so it's a trek to there. I was in Dunn Bros this morning too, strangely. Never mind the A/C, can you imagine what the ride is like on Fry?

Or shepherd??!! :eek: I've seen a yellow one downtown in the parking garage for the loft I used to live in.

Emmas Mar 26th 2012 1:28 pm

Hi everyone...

Ok, May seems to work.. shall we set a date for Saturday 19th May :)

I like the sound of the beach, but for those that are super new and don't know our way round yet, (me included! :o) I'm thinking of keeping to the central location just for the first meet up, then second time round we can spread our wings and travel further? would that be ok with everyone?

Memorial Park?
I think we can phone and book a picnic area for us all for a fee (832-395-7012) do we need too??

Em x

Yorkieabroad Mar 27th 2012 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 9969072)

Dunn Bros - in there most days. Maybe a venue for a meetup, hmmm??
Next time you're in, if you see an ageing, podgy, balding, bearded brit in shorts say hi...

Yorkieabroad Mar 27th 2012 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Emmas (Post 9973035)
Hi everyone...

Em x

OK, 19th tentatively on the calendar, but may duck out if the kids get to the cup finals which are held that day....

Brown18 Mar 27th 2012 4:34 am

Hi, the 19th is good for me but looking at the map that's a scary drive down south for me. Having only just starting driving on the right hand side of the road, I'm not sure I have the confidence for that just yet. Maybe by then I'll be ok but if not I'll see you at the next one.!

Emmas Mar 27th 2012 6:57 am

We can always change to the Sunday closer to the time, if it's better for everyone :D

Brown18; I can come pick u up if u like? I have room for 2 in my car. We can maybe get a little convoy going from the woodlands?! :)

Em x

Bink Mar 27th 2012 3:08 pm

Count me in.

Brown18 Mar 27th 2012 5:03 pm

Em, thanks for the offer. I might just take you up on it!

texasjan Mar 27th 2012 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Emmas (Post 9973035)
Hi everyone...

I like the sound of the beach, but for those that are super new and don't know our way round yet, (me included! :o) I'm thinking of keeping to the central location just for the first meet up, then second time round we can spread our wings and travel further? would that be ok with everyone?

Memorial Park?
I think we can phone and book a picnic area for us all for a fee (832-395-7012) do we need too??

Em x

date in diary! didnt know you could book? There are hundreds of them so someone will have to be there with a big flag lol