working hours in Qatar

Old Jun 5th 2013, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Haron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default working hours in Qatar

I am negotiating a job offer in Doha. One of the things I was surprised to know is the long working hours, which is 50 hours per week. I asked for 40 hours a week, but the prospective employer said the Labour Law in Qatar defines 49 hours as the working load per week, excluding all breaks. Is this normal?, knowing that the job is Engineering Manager. If this is the case it means 1.5 days for the weekend and no room for anything during the week!
Old Jun 5th 2013, 5:45 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working hours in Qatar

In Dubai the law is 48 hours a week in your contract. Thats only 10 hours a day for a 5 day week, 0800 - 1800 each day. You'll find that there is a difference between whats in your contract and actual working practices. Particularly during Ramadan.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Crewegirl is on a distinguished road

My husband works 8am-6pm here in Qatar which includes lunch break. He gets every weekend off(Friday,Saturday)
from what I can gather its normal working hours here.
Ramadan he only works 9am-3pm.
Good luck
Old Jun 5th 2013, 6:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Haron
I am negotiating a job offer in Doha. One of the things I was surprised to know is the long working hours, which is 50 hours per week. I asked for 40 hours a week, but the prospective employer said the Labour Law in Qatar defines 49 hours as the working load per week, excluding all breaks. Is this normal?, knowing that the job is Engineering Manager. If this is the case it means 1.5 days for the weekend and no room for anything during the week!
What hours do you currently work?

Depending on the answer to that....what if the project is entering a critical stage? Do you just work 9-5 still?

Check whether it's 5 or 6 day week.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:47 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Most people I know here work 50 Hours + a week. You get the financial rewards here but as the higher paid westerner they expect their pound of flesh.

Also bear in mind that all your staff will love sticking a knife into you and telling people when you are not there, the mentality is totally different.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scamp
What hours do you currently work?

Depending on the answer to that....what if the project is entering a critical stage? Do you just work 9-5 still?

Check whether it's 5 or 6 day week.
I work currently 40 hrs a week, with Sat and Sun off. The prospective job they work Sat to Wed 9 hrs a day and Thu 5 hrs. this makes it 50 hrs a week or more than 2 months a year more than what I work currently.

Last edited by Haron; Jun 5th 2013 at 8:50 am.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Stick another 10 hrs on your 50 hrs and you'll maybe get close . No room for anything during the week , are you coimng on holiday ?
Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:59 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I work currently 40 hrs a week, with Sat and Sun off. The prospective job they work Sat to Wed 9 hrs a day and Thu 5 hrs. this makes it 50 hrs a week or more than 2 months a year more than what I work currently.
Life's full of balances and compromises. And luck. Its up to you to make the choices, and--as much as you can--make your own luck.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 9:07 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Stick another 10 hrs on your 50 hrs and you'll maybe get close . No room for anything during the week , are you coimng on holiday ?
Seems I cannot give you any Karma at the minute, But I love the last line.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by co durham boy
At least some time daily with kids. Is it too much?
Old Jun 5th 2013, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Life's full of balances and compromises. And luck. Its up to you to make the choices, and--as much as you can--make your own luck.
I agree
Old Jun 5th 2013, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

At least some time daily with kids. Is it too much?
All depending on your employer and what the project demands are . If you need to work 14 hr days 7 days a week then you have to , if you don't and need an early dart a few times a week for the kids then fine .

You take the rough with the smooth . I wouldn't employ anyone that was stipulating hours in a senior overseas position , they should already know what is required of them .