Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Working in Hospitality in Oman

Working in Hospitality in Oman

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 10:14 am
Just Joined

soultrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Hospitality in Oman

Hi,

I have been searching on the forum but cannot seem to find some directly relevant comments to my query.

For a management role in a hotel, what is currently considered a 'good' base salary?

Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:12 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Hospitality in Oman

Doesn't work like that.

You need to make sure that whatever is offered is better than whatever you are currently getting - either salary, experience, lifestyle, whatever. That's very personal.

If you have a family, you need to ensure continuity of education. You should insist on accommodation suitable for your family sized to be provided by the hotel. You should negotiate your working hours, roles & responsibilities, and have those clearly defined. You need to have your health insurance for yourself & your family clearly defined and paid for by your employer. You are legally entitled to a return flight home once every two years minimum. Finally, your salary should be (tax free) equal to or better than what you earn back home. You should also (given it's a hotel) ask for a paid visit, so that you can check out the accom + work environment, particularly if you bring a family (and check school availability - VERY tough!). Only then will you know if the job is right for you - although I know that hasn't answered your specific question.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soultrain
Hi,

I have been searching on the forum but cannot seem to find some directly relevant comments to my query.

For a management role in a hotel, what is currently considered a 'good' base salary?

Thanks
It depends on the "management" role, the Hotel and the location.
ie a manager of a restaurant or the reception manager will not earn as much as a F&B manager.
You need to be a bit more specific darling
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
It depends on the "management" role, the Hotel and the location.
ie a manager of a restaurant or the reception manager will not earn as much as a F&B manager.
You need to be a bit more specific darling

Reservations Manager at a 4* star hotel.
I am being offered all the benefits for myself and family but I cannot figure out what the base salary rate is for such a position as I do not want to insult anyone but asking for too higher amounts.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Doesn't work like that.

You need to make sure that whatever is offered is better than whatever you are currently getting - either salary, experience, lifestyle, whatever. That's very personal.

If you have a family, you need to ensure continuity of education. You should insist on accommodation suitable for your family sized to be provided by the hotel. You should negotiate your working hours, roles & responsibilities, and have those clearly defined. You need to have your health insurance for yourself & your family clearly defined and paid for by your employer. You are legally entitled to a return flight home once every two years minimum. Finally, your salary should be (tax free) equal to or better than what you earn back home. You should also (given it's a hotel) ask for a paid visit, so that you can check out the accom + work environment, particularly if you bring a family (and check school availability - VERY tough!). Only then will you know if the job is right for you - although I know that hasn't answered your specific question.
I completely understand that and I have already sorted out the benefits with them.....the undecided part left is the base salary figure. They are calling it 'pocket money' (made me laugh though) but it seems very low and i just wanted to get an idea what an average 'good' base salary figure is.

Thanks for your help though
Old Jul 24th 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I completely understand that and I have already sorted out the benefits with them.....the undecided part left is the base salary figure. They are calling it 'pocket money' (made me laugh though) but it seems very low and i just wanted to get an idea what an average 'good' base salary figure is.

1500 OR pm

at a blind guess
Old Jul 24th 2012, 6:15 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

well tell us what the benefits are, and then we can tell you what a good base salary would be

if you get all food and all drink and flights and accommodation and schooling and utilities and car and insurance and medical insurance and mobile phone and phone calls and gym/club membership all sorted out by the hotel, then yes, they will view any money they pay you as "pocket money"

most reservations managers in oman are from SEA/Philippines, and those salaries are around 600-800 OMR per month after all of the above is provided
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

acidify will become famous soon enough

I used to live in oman for a long time, At the moment the situation in oman is very difficult , with many internal problems (increase in dissent demonstration by unemployed omani's) , Job market is very very bad , as a middle eastern country , if you hold a EU passport you will be treated in a better way , but generally speaking there is zero growth opportunity there in every sector
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
well tell us what the benefits are, and then we can tell you what a good base salary would be

if you get all food and all drink and flights and accommodation and schooling and utilities and car and insurance and medical insurance and mobile phone and phone calls and gym/club membership all sorted out by the hotel, then yes, they will view any money they pay you as "pocket money"

most reservations managers in oman are from SEA/Philippines, and those salaries are around 600-800 OMR per month after all of the above is provided

hmm I see...they have agreed to most of the benefits except the few little things and the car but agreed to 'transport'. 600-800 OMR then.....interesting!
Thanks for your help
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by acidify
I used to live in oman for a long time, At the moment the situation in oman is very difficult , with many internal problems (increase in dissent demonstration by unemployed omani's) , Job market is very very bad , as a middle eastern country , if you hold a EU passport you will be treated in a better way , but generally speaking there is zero growth opportunity there in every sector

I am getting the same feeling from the whole of Middle East not just Oman. I am British but was still offered quite a low package - considering some of the people i know in similar roles and what they are getting as expats.