Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Employment Contract - Bahrain

Employment Contract - Bahrain

Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

MuzD is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Employment Contract - Bahrain

Hi All,

My employer sent me my offer letter a few days earlier. I was offered a certain amount (total package) which included basic salary + accommodation + travel etc.

Today I received my contract, actually "contracts".

Contract 1 is a basic contract about 40% of the total offered.
Contract 2 is worded as basic and net amount which is the total amount offered originally.

The HR person says the Contract 1 (40% of original offer) is
"For LMRA papers only basic salary is required however you will receive the Net salary which includes HRA etc from the company"

I am not happy to sign 2 contracts. The way I see it is, the employer is not legally bound to pay me anything more than contract 1.

I am not very happy with the situation and at this very moment feel like calling the whole thing off.

Is this normal procedure? Or does this sound fishy?
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Employment Contract - Bahrain

Sounds fishy. Is your employer a recognized reputable company?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

douglasgrant is an unknown quantity at this point

yes. does sound fishy, but then again, you dont provide much detail, so its hard to put into context. what industry is this. maybe others in same or similar industry will share whats the norm for contracts.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:07 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MuzD
Hi All,

My employer sent me my offer letter a few days earlier. I was offered a certain amount (total package) which included basic salary + accommodation + travel etc.

Today I received my contract, actually "contracts".

Contract 1 is a basic contract about 40% of the total offered.
Contract 2 is worded as basic and net amount which is the total amount offered originally.

The HR person says the Contract 1 (40% of original offer) is
"For LMRA papers only basic salary is required however you will receive the Net salary which includes HRA etc from the company"

I am not happy to sign 2 contracts. The way I see it is, the employer is not legally bound to pay me anything more than contract 1.

I am not very happy with the situation and at this very moment feel like calling the whole thing off.

Is this normal procedure? Or does this sound fishy?
They are cheating on tax/insurance so could be next in line.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

This does not sound right.

I think they are trying to play some trick on you by making you sign 2 contracts.

You need to dig more and perhaps provide us more details so we can help.

You need to clarify what you mean by LMRA and HRA.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Very ****** dodgy. Perhaps a good way to stiff you at leaving time re gratuity.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:39 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Desert Shaikh
This does not sound right.

I think they are trying to play some trick on you by making you sign 2 contracts.

You need to dig more and perhaps provide us more details so we can help.

You need to clarify what you mean by LMRA and HRA.
LMRA je labour market regulatory authority which is where all contracts are registered and if my memory serves me right this is how GOSI payment (social insurance, tax, whatever you call it) is determined. It's the same like contracting someone on minimum wage in UK and paying balance cash in hand so you only pay tax and social on minimum wage. But yes also can be used to screw the employee later.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
LMRA je labour market regulatory authority which is where all contracts are registered and if my memory serves me right this is how GOSI payment (social insurance, tax, whatever you call it) is determined. It's the same like contracting someone on minimum wage in UK and paying balance cash in hand so you only pay tax and social on minimum wage. But yes also can be used to screw the employee later.
Yes it does look like they are trying to shaft him.

He needs to decide if he wants to work for a company who wants to screw him from day 1. I would personally tell them to stuff it.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

MuzD is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your response. I took some legal advice and this has been sorted.

Many Thanks