When to resign?

Old Jul 24th 2012, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

IAWS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When to resign?

I was wondering when one should resign from a UK position following acceptance of an offer for a move to Saudi Arabia? It would not be good to resign and then something fall through! So is it when one receives a Visa? Or a signed contract? or some other stage? I would have to work a 3 month notice.

Any thoughts gratefully received..
Old Jul 25th 2012, 12:42 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to resign?

You won't get a visa until you get here, so that won't work.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:53 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

If you want to be secure in terms of visa, make sure they send you a full package so you can apply for work visa. You will need to give them your legalized degree and if they are able to send you block visa invitation then you're fine. In terms of trust, depends who you are dealing with. I resigned on receiving a letter of offer but I had full trust in my new employer. In some other cases they can screw you even if you have a contract and visa. If they have connections you will have no case. This is Saudi, man.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

IAWS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the comments. I realise there will always be a risk, I would rather minimize it as much as possible though.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 5:14 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

In some other cases they can screw you even if you have a contract and visa.
Yup, sadly had someone change the T&C on my (signed by both parties) contract 2 days before I was due to fly out (dropped salary by 30%, and removed completion bonus). That was a pisser. I declined their "revised" contract. Took me 6 months to find another job and get visa and start work.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
You won't get a visa until you get here, so that won't work.
is that just KSA ? I refused to resign until I had my visa ( that was 10 years ago mind )
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:07 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Most entry visas for most GCC countries have a 30 day validity. That's fine when your resignation period is 2 weeks or one month, but not when it's 3 or 6 months. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith, and sometimes it doesn't work out.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

homersthirdnipple is an unknown quantity at this point

Got a letter from my employer in KSA saying my start date was 5th Jan, resigned my post middle of December, blew all my hard earned savings, then was told my start date was put back a month.
My advice, resign when you get your plane ticket.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by homersthirdnipple
Got a letter from my employer in KSA saying my start date was 5th Jan, resigned my post middle of December, blew all my hard earned savings, then was told my start date was put back a month.
My advice, resign when you get your plane ticket.
read the following:
Although this is frustrating, it is not the worse you could imagine. I personally know some people who applied for advertised positions at Saudi Universities, went through the interview, offered a job, asked to supply so many documents which must be attested by many different governmental organizations, went through rigorous medical examination and attested the results, received the KSA visa, resigned from their jobs and were about to relocate to KSA and SUDDENLY they received email from the intended universities informing them “WE REGRET TO INFORM YOU THAT WE HAVE DECIDED TO FREEZE THE JOB FOR FINANCIAL/DEPARTMENTAL REASONS”. After that the staff of those universities never replied to inquiries from those victims telling them why such decision came so late.