Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Expat executives and the labour law..

Expat executives and the labour law..

Old Aug 5th 2012, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Peter Wright is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat executives and the labour law..

Has anybody had any experience with working in a senior exec position (CEO/CFO etc) in Saudi?

If so, how have you worked around the labour laws that seem to state that this level of position needs to be held by Saudi nationals only?

Getting an Iqama for this type of position is therefore next to impossible leading to potential problems when somebody decides to make trouble..

I am aware that there are many expats holding these positions in the Kingdom and would welcome any advice on what the best strategy is to address this issue and reduce any insecurity.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:19 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat executives and the labour law..

you'll find their actual title is Deputy-CEO/CFO.

They just do the job, and shorten their title to Dep CEO.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
you'll find their actual title is Deputy-CEO/CFO.

They just do the job, and shorten their title to Dep CEO.
Thanks - but why would the deputy title make any difference?

Does anybody know what the actual labour law states in this regard?

Peter
Old Aug 8th 2012, 2:48 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

oh dear me. I'm not trying to be horrible, but if you don't get this, I'm not sure you're cut out to be (deputy) CEO/CFO.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:05 am
Just Joined

oh dear me. I'm not trying to be horrible, but if you don't get this, I'm not sure you're cut out to be (deputy) CEO/CFO.
Many thanks for the opinion...

It might have been a tad more helpful if you had simply answered the question instead of making patronising remarks. I am sure you are a long serving hard core expat, but not all of us are.

No need to bother replying further.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter Wright

It might have been a tad more helpful if you had simply answered the question instead of making patronising remarks. I am sure you are a long serving hard core expat, but not all of us are.

You really are incredibly naive or at least you create that impression. CEOs in the KSA (that's the Magic Kingdom to most of us) are invariably Saudis, who do nothing but read their newspaper, dabble on the stock market and spend 12-15 weeks a year in the west on holiday, sometimes known as business trips. Western expats invariably do all the work and take all of the responsibility, whilst having to call themselves deputy or vice presidents or whatever. Now do you get it? Incidentally, I hope for goodness sake that your real name is NOT Peter Wright. Please don't ask why or you will be ridiculed even more on here.

Last edited by mentalist; Aug 8th 2012 at 3:31 am.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter Wright

Come on man. Grow up - You won't last 5 mins in the Middle East with that attitude.

Your visa will say something dull - like Deputy CEO, General Manager, or maybe even Driver. You will do the job of the CEO and be paid accordingly. The local, who is officially the CEO, (for you will only be the deputy) will take all the glory. However, he will also undermine your every move, backstab you wherever possible and blame you for any marginal error he can think of. Expats are here for two reasons (i) to do the work the locals can't be bothered to do, and (ii) to take the blame and be used as scapegoats for bad decisions made by the locals.

So... if I were you, consider all what I have said carefully before jumping. If you are sensitive to a snipe on an internet forum then you need to rethink your Saudi career.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

I can see the headlines in tomorrow's edition of The Sun..."Millhouse in agreement with Mentalist shocker"
Old Aug 8th 2012, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
I can see the headlines in tomorrow's edition of The Sun..."Millhouse in agreement with Mentalist shocker"
Our posts crossed - had I known what you were going to put I would have disagreed for the sake of it.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:18 am
womble

lol

(and poppet, that lol was for the M&Ms )
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:39 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

lol

(and poppet, that lol was for the M&Ms )
You bastard. You absolute bastard. Now every time I sneak a packet of my favourite M&Ms the experience is going to be ruined by a mental image of Mentalist & Millhouse together. Completely unforgiveable.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

think OP has done one . Up his own arse and a very high opinion of himself. Will do great things in Magic Land.

If he is still around.

I would advise telling the shepherd you report to that you want his title and he will need to be in the office 8-6 everyday, has only 3 weeks holiday a year. Do this on the first day as well or better at the interview.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm sure Peter has gone by now. But here is an great example, in the news today:

Tabreed appoints new CEO

http://www.zawya.com/story/Tabreed_a...0120809041844/

I know the previous one. Very capable guy but not local. He is retained as advisor.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 3:13 am
womble

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
You bastard. You absolute bastard. Now every time I sneak a packet of my favourite M&Ms the experience is going to be ruined by a mental image of Mentalist & Millhouse together. Completely unforgiveable.
mwah