when to chase....

Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ilford_or_Dubai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default when to chase....

Hi All,

Looking for some advice!

I had a final interview wth an employer 29th Sept - following that; they requested ref from last two employers which they recvd 4th October...

so it's coming up to a week and not heard anyting yet...

Left a VM on the HR person and followed up with an email just now - I was expecting to hear somthing yesterday/today...

I know in the UAE things can be slow but......

Anyways; is this normal - how long do they take to share interview feedback?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:44 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when to chase....

Chill! The interview was only 7-8 working days ago, and they received your references only 4-5 working days ago. If they've taken the trouble to take references, they're obviously interested.

Pushing won't do any good--just keep in touch, as you've done. Different companies have different procedures they follow, decision-makers are usually busy people, and although getting good people in is probably THE most important thing for any company, there's day-to-day shite that just has to be done...
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Chill! The interview was only 7-8 working days ago, and they received your references only 4-5 working days ago. If they've taken the trouble to take references, they're obviously interested.

Pushing won't do any good--just keep in touch, as you've done. Different companies have different procedures they follow, decision-makers are usually busy people, and although getting good people in is probably THE most important thing for any company, there's day-to-day shite that just has to be done...
Phew! that's Ok then... No need to panic as yet...

Going by the second interview gut feel; the guy was pretty interested... he was European too... so expecting good news TBH :-)

I will stay put for the next couple of days and see how it goes...

thanks for the response.... if ppl cam comment on average by when i could expect an answetr that would be helpful - I know it depends on many factors; just some guidelines is helpful....
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:43 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ilford_or_Dubai
P

thanks for the response.... if ppl cam comment on average by when i could expect an answetr that would be helpful - I know it depends on many factors; just some guidelines is helpful....
It took me months to move here, I was officially offered the job in December, moved the following April. And that was an internal transfer from London.

A friend is in the process of moving from UK to Abu Dhabi, passed interview and they said they would have here ASAP, that was four weeks ago.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

First job here:

- First Interview - Oct. On the ground - Feb

Second Job:

- First Interview - March. On the job - Sept.

Chill my friend.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Current job -

applied Feb -09

1st interview June 09

2nd interview October -09

3rd interview December 09

4th interview Jan 3rd 10

On the ground 18th Jan 10

Dont be impatient, chill man
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:28 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Current job -

applied Feb -09

1st interview June 09

2nd interview October -09

3rd interview December 09

4th interview Jan 3rd 10

On the ground 18th Jan 10

Dont be impatient, chill man
they spent almost a whole year looking for someone else and then finally had to bite the bullet and hire you...
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:39 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

first job in region;

initial contact - may 09
phone interview - early june 09
contract signed - mid august 09
first day at work - late september 09

second job in region;

initial contact - early may 11
phone interview - late may 11
face 2 face interview - mid june 11
contract signed - late june 11
first day at work - early september 11

both jobs were in the 'we need you to start yesterday' category..
Old Oct 11th 2011, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
they spent almost a whole year looking for someone else and then finally had to bite the bullet and hire you...
Lmao, I think everyone else turned the job down first so I was last one left
Old Oct 11th 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys for the info provided – much appreciated!!

Now I understand the UAE definition of ASAP/Urgent LOL…

One questions if you can help…

1) The company sent a mail this morning requesting a copy of my passport, copy of educational docs, complete recruiter form with personal info, copy of salary slip

Also; they said I am “short listed” for the contract of [job title]… surely I have to be more than short listed to ask for all this info – right?

Planning to call the HR person tomorrow to ask exactly what all this is about – in the mean time; your interpretation would be highly helpful so I can
carefully select the correct words for the conversation tomorrow…
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

all seems reasonable bar the salary slip which has been discussed on previous posts

Send it all in as requested

Why are you so panicky about this

If you think this is bad, just wait till the Human Remains have to process residency visas etc. Then you will know the meaning of frustration and anger
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Why are you so panicky about this
Not panicking; just want to get an answer one way or the other so I can work on something else…
Old Oct 11th 2011, 1:18 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, dude: chill.

It's a bit like having a baby--it doesn't matter how many doctors you hire or ante-natal clinics you attend, its still gonna take 9 months (unless you're Japanese, in which case its 10). In this case it'll take as long as it takes--do as they ask, but don't assume its a done deal and if you've got other irons in the fire, don't let them go cold.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ilford_or_Dubai

Also; they said I am “short listed” for the contract of [job title]… surely I have to be more than short listed to ask for all this info – right?
They are just covering their arses in case there's a problem with obtaining your residency.

The company I work for always make an offer conditional on the candidate obtaining a resident visa.

If the immigration refuses you for some reason, the company can go back to the next in line.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 6:04 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Seconded. Job offers are invariably conditional on a work visa being granted by MoL and even after that, when you arrive, on successful completion of blood test/x-ray checks also.

I would typically leave around a week and if you don't hear anything then drop them a line on the premise of confirming they have all the documents they need. It sounds like they've been pretty good to date so no need to worry unduly.

It is pretty stressful having to wait and you're quite right to assume that the fat lady hasn't actually started singing yet, hang on in there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.