Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

UK Graduated seeking work in GCC

UK Graduated seeking work in GCC

Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:09 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Graduated seeking work in GCC

why Scamp?!

I'd first employ your engineering brain jaykerai to help you make your decision.

What is more important to you? a graduate training scheme to get your chartership, secure if pitiful salary (I was a graduate site engineer 20 yrs ago - it's pants), benefits & a support system at home if it all goes to ratshit?

or - maybe more money, lovely place to live, but not necessarily any training scheme (you would need to check this out) and no safety net? there are people out here in oman from dubai doing well in oman's construction boom (particularly with the highway and airport) and others who haven't been paid since November last year as their employer keeps forgetting but if they take them to court then they lose their job....
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
why Scamp?!
The best candidates start with good companies and stay with them for a few years before moving. Whether you believe me or not it is absolutely true.

Get into Carillion, get on a good project under a decent set of Managers, learn and progress. IN 3/4/5/6 years, leave either for a job overseas or for another big contractor if you've got itchy feet...or stay.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

dohadesertdog is an unknown quantity at this point

With Scamp on this one. Get a good grounding and the worlds your oyster. Without it you're in danger of never knowing good from bad plus your much more marketable and will find it very easy to get the attention of recruiters. its losing their attention that becomes the hardest part!!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by dohadesertdog
With Scamp on this one. Get a good grounding and the worlds your oyster. Without it you're in danger of never knowing good from bad plus your much more marketable and will find it very easy to get the attention of recruiters. its losing their attention that becomes the hardest part!!
What he said.

I'm a million times more likely to want to ring a candidate who started with a big name, got a few years with them and moved on to another big name and stuck with them. Don't jump ship, stick with companies for decent periods (3+years, unless you've got good reason).

You can't command the salary overseas to make it worth your while until you have experience they don't have.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:24 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
The best candidates start with good companies and stay with them for a few years before moving. Whether you believe me or not it is absolutely true.
I understand & believe you.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
I understand & believe you.
Don't get me wrong, it's not a written rule. Just saying.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 5:38 am
womble

Sure. but the OP needs to have enough common sense to sit down & work out for himself what is important to him - not ask a bunch of strangers on the internet to make his decision for him.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:32 am
Just Joined

shaun174 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, new to the site. Im a QS with over 7 years experience looking to make the move with my fiancee. We are currently targeting Dubai but we are quite flexible.

Is there many opportunities out there at the moment for a QS??
Old Mar 1st 2013, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Oh PS, my fiancee is a teacher and we are assuming it wont be to difficult for her to find work??
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:34 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

There is more opportunity in Qatar, wait for Scamp to come online, he'll direct you.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kix
There is more opportunity in Qatar, wait for Scamp to come online, he'll direct you.
another place we are considering. Just fed up of life here in the UK!!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:44 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by shaun174
another place we are considering. Just fed up of life here in the UK!!
Can't say I blame you, have you been to The Middle East before - it can be very, Very, VERY frustrating!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:46 am
Just Joined

yes spent time in Dubai, where about are you based?
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:57 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

I float, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Muscat, Bahrain, Kuwait, Riyadh

And Germany!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kix
I float, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Muscat, Bahrain, Kuwait, Riyadh

And Germany!
favorite out of them??? (after Dubai)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.