Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

UK Graduated seeking work in GCC

UK Graduated seeking work in GCC

Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Jaykerai23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Graduated seeking work in GCC

Hi all, this is my first post so please bear with me

I've always wanted to work abroad and recently graduated in Civil Engineering, I have gained one years experience in Construction/Project Management with a large UK Construction company.

I was wondering whether you could point me in the right direction of where to look for jobs or whether there's anyone you know who may be of interest and I could pass on my CV. the current websites I have used are:[LIST][*]Gulftalent[*]Monstergulf[*]Bayt

Thanks
Jay
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Graduated seeking work in GCC

First, try moving your question to the more specific "ME Job Discussions" forum, where it may generate more interest, perhaps.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
First, try moving your question to the more specific "ME Job Discussions" forum, where it may generate more interest, perhaps.
You really are a quite unpleasant little man
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaykerai23
Hi all, this is my first post so please bear with me

I've always wanted to work abroad and recently graduated in Civil Engineering, I have gained one years experience in Construction/Project Management with a large UK Construction company.

I was wondering whether you could point me in the right direction of where to look for jobs or whether there's anyone you know who may be of interest and I could pass on my CV. the current websites I have used are:[LIST][*]Gulftalent[*]Monstergulf[*]Bayt

Thanks
Jay
Im sure our resident recruitment guy Scamp will pick this up and point you in the right direction but follow a few pointers .

The Gulf is a wash with people looking for work from all corners of the globe comprising every nationality and some with years of experience .
That's not to say you're not going to be successful at what you set out to do.

I have been in the industry getting on for nearly 30 years and what you must do is get your details out to as many people as possible and to network as much as possible if you can .
Recruitment agencies can be notorious for not replying to bog standard enquiries but widen the search and go direct to contractors , consulting engineers and Governmental agencies covering the construction sector in the Middle East

Also widen the search to cover Qatar , Saudi and other Gulf countries where there is a developing market .

Don't give up though , keep going and if you are determined a few doors may open for you and if they do take the chance with both hands .

Remember , we've all stood in your shoes at one time or another

Good Luck !
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Unless you are an Arabic speaker not a good move. You need to get some western experience otherwise you will spend your career competing at the bottom of the heap. Your first goal should be to get chartered. Have you tried jobs with major UK consultants: they will have you posted overseas quick enough ?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Done.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

OP,
Why should an employer give you preference over a Filipino who is trilngual with 10 years experience who will work for half your salary ?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 1:17 am
Just Joined

Cheers for the replies people

I have looked at all the ME countries but still no luck, I think my best bet at the moment is to maybe get more years of western experience and do a masters and then hopefully it should be easier to gain chartership from there.

Yeh I understand the companies view of employing a fillipino who has more experience for half the wage but moving to the ME This is my career goal so i to be optimistic and believe there is chance for me out there.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 4:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

You're going to struggle as a grad with a years experience mate.

Study a Masters part time and get chartered. That will help in some people's eyes and be irrelevant in others but better to have one or the other.

Get more experience in the UK with a big name firm on decent size projects. Maybe even a firm who work internationally. Keep your hand up when there is international opportunities and keep your profile updated on:

Gulf Talent
Monster Gulf
Naukri Gulf
Bayt
Linkedin
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

dohadesertdog is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a secure job in the UK my reccomendation would be to stay there to obtain a good grounding before moving. I worked 4.5 years in UK after graduation before moving here and have now completed nearly 5 years in ME construction/PMC. Dont agree with all of the above but I do believe there is merit in obtaining a good 'apprenticeship' in the UK as to be honest the best attribute British engineers bring to jobs are experience, common sense and problem solving, none of which will suffer from a few years more exp.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:18 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the replies people

I have looked at all the ME countries but still no luck, I think my best bet at the moment is to maybe get more years of western experience and do a masters and then hopefully it should be easier to gain chartership from there.

Yeh I understand the companies view of employing a fillipino who has more experience for half the wage but moving to the ME This is my career goal so i to be optimistic and believe there is chance for me out there.
You can do a chartership without a masters. Better to get the experience now if you can in the UK, if you can't get a job then do a masters to fill in the time.
I would stay in the UK long enough to get decent working experience, people are usually here in the ME to bring their experience not gain it.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

dohadesertdog is an unknown quantity at this point

a Chartership worth its salt will require minimum 4-5 years of decent experience if there is no MSc.

CIOB, ICE, GeolSoc certainly do anyways.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 5:31 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dohadesertdog
a Chartership worth its salt will require minimum 4-5 years of decent experience if there is no MSc.

CIOB, ICE, GeolSoc certainly do anyways.
That requirement is there usually whether you have a masters or not. I don't agree with chartership for purely academic engineers, its important to be a well rounded practitioner imo.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Hi all, after a long period of not working i received two job offers. one is with Carillion in uk as a graduate site engineer and the other is with my good friends family construction company in Oman. I'm now not sure which one to take up. any ideas?
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Hi all, after a long period of not working i received two job offers. one is with Carillion in uk as a graduate site engineer and the other is with my good friends family construction company in Oman. I'm now not sure which one to take up. any ideas?
Carillion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.