Sadara - Info Request

Old Jan 1st 2014, 10:25 am
Just Joined

1970steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sadara - Info Request

I wanted to ask about the general situation in regards to moving out to Saudi Arabia with the new Sadara project, and canvass members for some relevant information and support for a first timer.

Currently I have been ambling along and been in a job 'just down the road' for near 20 years, working my way up the ranks. Got the opportunity to go for an interview for Sadara in October 2013 where I was presented with a cracking offer, followed by a medical in November (CRB etc too) and currently waiting on the Visa to be stamped in my passport, then I guess it will all be go. I'm not at all naive and have read lots of information on the area, people, customs and such like - but was wanting to ask some practical help from people who have already been out there, and can share a bit of their experience.

Are there any golden rules to consider - tax registration in the UK before setting out, preferred banking and things to look out for contractually, as well as any housing pointers. I don't want to be saying to myself 'Wish I'd known and considered that before I left' kind of thing, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I know of a few people who are in the same position - obviously there are a large number of newbies taking the plunge for this specific project so this could be very helpful for them too.

Happy New Year to you all.

Last edited by 1970steve; Jan 1st 2014 at 10:34 am.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sadara - Info Request

It is important to have some sort of "Game Plan"

Why are you going ?

What will you do and where will you go when you leave ?
Old Jan 1st 2014, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Ok. The plan is 4 years. Pay mortgage in 3 and get a chunk in the bank with the remaining one. See how it's worked out from there. Decide whether to stay or come back at that point. Got some excellent contacts over here and current employer has said to get back in touch should it not work out or after the planned 4 years.

From that point of view it's quite simple. Monetarily all worked out. Practically probably a bit anxious so want to get things sorted correctly before the plunge.

Thanks.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to pay off the mortgage and then review. Most people in the West are
screwed by housing costs
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 7:45 am
Just Joined

m4444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve. I have just signed for Sadara. Will be there by the 01 March.
What will you be doing?
I have spent 23 years in Saudi. Cannot help on your financial plans as they personal and private but anything else ... no problem.

I will be in Khobar for the first year on development, but I have been told I will be in Jubail after that.
I am involved in the training not operations.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 9:35 am
Just Joined

I haven't been given any specific details on locations unlike yourself - that comes once the visa is confirmed, which I've been told is the next 2 weeks.

Details so far are that my job title is Maintenance Trainer, looking after c.25 tradesmen. It will be based in the Industrial City II region. This is a job I have done before with DOW Chemical, so it was something they were keen on pursuing in the interview, so that fits well with my skills.

That's pretty much all I know from a role/location point of view. Contractually I have a signed contract. This details wages, holidays etc etc. All the regular stuff, which I am happy about.

What I was interested to find out from a first timer perspective is if there is anything that could trip me up. I've read a great deal of information on the place, but like everything until you go you are relying on what you expect rather than what is actually going to happen. From that point of view it would be great to be able to ask people like yourself who have extensive experience of the country and the practicalities of living there about the finer details, so thanks for your offer - I will no doubt be in touch either on here or via PM if that's OK.

Cheers.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

No problem Steve if I can help in any way.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Stu13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys I am also waiting for a visa to be issued to go out as a Maintenance Trainer with Sadara. Currently working in Grangemouth waiting to hand my notice in. Anyone know about housing i.e. if Al Jude 2 is anywhere near ready to move into as that is where I have been told we will be living.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Hi Stu13, sounds like we'll be doing the same role while out there. I've been in touch with the company today and it seems within 7-10 days we'll know a bit more, and hopefully be getting a call in regards to the visa situation and more specific details about the move. Keep in touch mate - best of luck. Let us know if/when you hear any further news. Cheers.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Normal procedure for a work visa;
Medical - this is then sent to KSA and then the OK is given by government affairs.
Attestation of Qualifications - this can take some time
Passport submitted to the embassy - this can be relatively quick.
This is for a work visa (Iqama Issue)
The procedures are similar for other types of visa but can be quicker
Just for your info lads
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by m4444
Normal procedure for a work visa;
Medical - this is then sent to KSA and then the OK is given by government affairs.
Attestation of Qualifications - this can take some time
Passport submitted to the embassy - this can be relatively quick.
This is for a work visa (Iqama Issue)
The procedures are similar for other types of visa but can be quicker
Just for your info lads

Thanks for that. All steps complete and passport currently at embassy - they reckon 7-10 days before confirmation. Hopefully have a date for travel within a fortnight - we'll see. Cheers